Need Suggestions Please

GodsGreat

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

First thing is that now I have understood that nothing in this world is important other than God's name. Having understand that I still find it very hard to concentrate while doing Simran and path. I try to wake up every morning at amritvela but keep on hitting the snooze button and most of the time turn it off. I listen to religious katha's and at that time I'm like "I have to change", but like everytime I do Simran and path I think of everything except God, If I can get suggestions as to how to concentrate and what to do if some other "useless" thoughts come to my mind while doing simran, as to how to control this! Please as many suggestions will be welcome.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

For the 'first thing' you've understood, much love to such understandings and the one who blesses us with them.

The useless thoughts will cease with practice. Though, the feeling to get rid of them is a blessing. It will get you to the destination at a faster rate. Good. As thoughts appear, watch them... Be the 'saakshi' of your thoughts, the witness. Be the witness, don't indulge in your thoughts. Then remind yourself of what exactly you 'were' doing. From the daily prayer, take two lines of your Nitnem Gurbani and sing them throughout the day within your head or out loud; when possible.

Keep listening to whatever inspires and motivates you spiritually. Sometimes, something valuable is heard. Valuable indeed. It's no coincidence though... No such thing as coincidences. =)

If you get into the routine of getting up at Amritvela, it'll become easier but you need to adjust your sleeping pattern to centre around amritvela and it can take upto a month or so depending on how easy/difficult it is to adjust your sleeping pattern.

As for simran, we all find it difficult initially. Your mind is attached to the world, so it wants to keep attached to it. Trying to focus on Naam is like trying to tear your mind from the world. Try focussing on Guru Ji. It's what Sikhs used to do in the past. It gives a focus point for your mind and should help. Other than that, just keep practising it. It's like learning to play a musical instrument - the more you do it, the better you get.

one method is to learn a shabad it could be a short one and repeat that shabad throughout the day. Also you can't control anything. Ask for Waheguru's mercy so you can be singing his praise all day long and be able to focus on your simran. Same for Amrit vela ask for his blessing.

And like the previous poster said pratice, practice, practice. Contemplate over the shabads you read. Get the understanding of what Guru Sahib is saying. Contemplate over each word.

Go to the Gurdwara, in your area there is probably sangat that gets together for simran and amritvela. Join them and get them to help you.