Curriculum For Punjabi Classes

AmarjitKaur

Dear Cyber Sangat,

I am teaching Punjabi at local khalsa school. I asked the organizer to look for books which include sikh history (sakhis) in punjabi which we can use to follow once kids have already learned basic paintee and matras. He made a trip to india and said he couldn't find any progressively harder and harder books for kids starting from 3-4 lines stories to few pages stories. We do have sikh history books but in English which we use for sikh history class, taught in English. He said books just have big stories not small big font story books which will fit to the 5yr to 10yr old kids.

I need to find some curriculum which we can follow in our school esp. for punjabi learning. Small books teaching them about sikh history while learning punjabi at the same time.

If any of you, ever taught, or was student or somehow know what your local school follows and can be any help, provide hints etc., please do contribute to this topic or send me a PM.

Thank you,

Gur fateh jee.

VaheGuruJeKaKhalsaVaheGuruJeKeFetah

Not sure of any curriculmn but u mite have these books but they are very gud in helping kids to learn my mom teaching punjabi so she started me one this book when me was young also these should be sold at any punjabi boos shop if u want i got the author contact details im sure he can give u a good deal

PUNJABI MADE EASY books 1 - 3 BY J S NAGRA

hope this has help

VaheGuruJeKaKhalsaVaheGuruJeKeFetah

Will any ideas from schools in India help ?? I can ask teachers teaching kids in our Gurdwara school .

Basically, I am looking little stories ranging from few lines to few paragraphs. It doesn't have to be story. I could be just few sentenses written in punjabi like this (for beginner readers)

Main SIKH haan.

Main das guruaan nu manda haan.

Guru Nanak dev jee ne kiha "naam jap, kirt karo te vand chakko".

Kangha, KaRa, Kes, Kirpan te kachhaihira panj kakkar han.

Char Sahibzadiya de naa inj han..........

So above is example of few lines. But they we can have few lines in a paragraph saying.

Guru naanak dev jee, sikhan de pahile Guru han. Unna daa janam ................... nu hoyiya. Una da janam asthan ................. hai. Una de mata jee da naaaa....... te pita jee da naa ................... hai. and then little more.

If someone actually has a background in building curriculum etc. and know how to frequently type in Gurmukhi and do have time on hand. We can together create a curriculum starting from beginning to higher levels.

I take 4-5yr old kids classes too. I pick 5 letters and then come up with few words starting with those letters, like ooRa, ooTh, or ooloo. Aira amb, anaar etc.

and then ask them few colors if they know those in punjabi. and then few numbers and few fruits. Because little kids loose focus if you stay on one thing for long, so keep going through different things fast. Another teacher with me, tries to create games for them to play. Well, I don't really have that much time on my hand to be creative so much. Thats why approaching cyber sangat, if there is already built up curriculum, some kind of structured material available already which khalsa school can buy at reasonable prices and distribute to kids and follow that book, booklet every sunday we meet and have homework based on only that.

The little older kids I teach they range from 8-10 year olds. They almost know all the matras and all the letters. They are practicing reading sentences and writing words. I havn't asked them to write sentenses yet. But I want to start them on that now. The higher classses follow books like short stories e.g. ik loombree see, turi jandee see te raste vich khadde vich dig payee.........

Its good story to learn a lesson from. But I rather have kids reading about Guru nanak dev jee, jadon chhote see taan uoh apne sathiyaa naal baith kee iddan khelde see..............

So thats the idea. Anyone could help, that will be great. There are books available out there in English or punjabi, they have to made to fit to small kids. I think its something what our khalsa schools need. If they already exit, please point me in that direction.

Thats actually a great idea, bhen ji. When i was a kid in india, we used to read stories from these books. We had to stand up and read infront of the whole class. What you are thinking of doing is, not only will teach them punjabi but will also teach them about sikhi.

I looked on dtf books and there are punjabi books there but they might not be suitable for kids learning punjabi.

You could try translating http://www.sikhnet.com/stories/1079 sikhnet stories to punjabi for your classes? These are relativly short stories and aimed at kids.

Thats actually a great idea, bhen ji. When i was a kid in india, we used to read stories from these books. We had to stand up and read infront of the whole class. What you are thinking of doing is, not only will teach them punjabi but will also teach them about sikhi.

I looked on dtf books and there are punjabi books there but they might not be suitable for kids learning punjabi.

You could try translating http://www.sikhnet.com/stories/1079 sikhnet stories to punjabi for your classes? These are relativly short stories and aimed at kids.

Thank you for your suggestion veerji. But the problem I have is "TIME". It takes time to type it in punjabi. The way usually I create homework for kids is that I type in Gurmukhi in MSWord and then print it out and scan it. Save it as pdf document on my desktop and then send as an attachment to all the parents. I have to do that way, as all parents don't have proper fonts. (I know they can download if they want to, but I just dont wanna hear excuse that they couldn't see HOMEWORK properly).

And to write short stories in GURMUKHI would consume lot of time. I will and kids will really appreciate if someone out there has access to short sikh history stories and then create pdf document which I can save and send as an attachment to parents one page at a time for one week homework. Or if someone is looking for making difference to help out kids or already have material available, please do contact me. It will be really appreciated.

• 1 year later...

SSA - Did you find any punjabi books for kids? I am in the same position as yours....We teach punjabi to kids in Gurudwaras and they learn to read write painti and small sentences, but there is no quality reading material available for kids, especially teenagers...Please reply if you have found any interesting quality reading material in Punjabi for kids between the ages of 7-16.

Thanks

Baljeet

If someone actually has a background in building curriculum etc. and know how to frequently type in Gurmukhi and do have time on hand. We can together create a curriculum starting from beginning to higher levels.

I take 4-5yr old kids classes too. I pick 5 letters and then come up with few words starting with those letters, like ooRa, ooTh, or ooloo. Aira amb, anaar etc.

and then ask them few colors if they know those in punjabi. and then few numbers and few fruits. Because little kids loose focus if you stay on one thing for long, so keep going through different things fast. Another teacher with me, tries to create games for them to play. Well, I don't really have that much time on my hand to be creative so much. Thats why approaching cyber sangat, if there is already built up curriculum, some kind of structured material available already which khalsa school can buy at reasonable prices and distribute to kids and follow that book, booklet every sunday we meet and have homework based on only that.

Bhen ji I worked as teacher in colleges for a while (not teaching Panjabi though). However this summer, I had the experience of teaching a mixed race relative Panjabi (from scratch, he couldn't speak it).

I used the famous Panjabi Primer to guide the teaching at the intial stage. I was shocked at teh speed at which my student picked up stuff. He was 18 years old though and is generally bright. What I found shocking about using this modern approach to teach was that it got results (in terms of reading) superfast in comparison with the traditional method I was taught through many decades ago i.e. repeating Painti and starting with mukta words etc. With the new method we learn a few letters first and then a kanna, and then play around making English and Panjabi words with them. It gets results. My relative was reading basic sentences after only 5 weeks of weekly (quite long) lessons - which is impressive for a nonspeaker.I also know that recently a new book has been published which uses more up to date pedagogy principles in imparting knowledge than the traditional route. Maybe you could look into that too?

I made this very basic pwtpoint alphabet tutorial many years ago which might help with that side. The pwtpoint tutorial allows you to progress at your own pace unlike this

. You can the pwtpoint version from here (under Panjabi learning resources):

http://www.rajkarega...esentations.htm