Banda Singh Bahadur - Razing Of Sirhind

Guest I Sikh Truth

Guest I Sikh Truth

Why did Banda Singh Bahadur raze Sirhind? Why was he sent?

I thought vengence and anger is wrong - from reading things on the net, theres lots of quotes - so how can it suddenly be okay?

Please educate me so I know what really went on- i lukd up the definiton-it just seems like revenge :( and we're no one to twist words and meanings...

thanku ^_^

It was a decision made by Banda Singh Bahadur - he was human like everyone else who are prone to making misjudgements regardless of Jeevan, only Guru Ji is infallible and never makes mistakes.

I think you need to be careful when reading about Banda Singh as there is a lot of misinformation out there. A lot of people muslms and hindus and even Sikhs have written bad accounts of Banda Singh life filled with bias and lies.

First of all Banda Singh was a pooran gursikh and was personally blessed by Guru Gobind Singh Ji. When Guru Ji had repeatedly asked Bahadur Shah to bring to justice wazzir Khan and his henchmen for their attrocities the emperor became weak and ignored these requests. Guru Ji then told him that he would send his own 'bundha' to bring to justice these criminals. Banda Singh was given the task to do this.

Remember that Sirhand was a huge city at the time and very well protected and when news came that a band of peasants lead by a former bharagi were coming to met out summary justice the people laughed and made fun, but in the heart of each and every Sikh burned a fire that this was the place that shaheeded the shotay sahibzaday and the people did nothing to stop it. The battle was furious and hard fought on both sides. A lot of what happened has been exaggerated by the muslms to show Banda Singh in a bad light and the Hindus has followed suit.

Banda Singh moved from town to town routing out the evil that existed and shaking the mughal empire to its very foundations from which it never really recovered. He was a true hero and we should recognise him as such.

History of banda bahadur as per our historical granths NOT any of the pro or anti banda bahadar people ... kindly both pro and anti correct me our where they think i m wrong ...

1.Banda Bahadur was a hindu veshnu sadhu who was given amrit named gurbaksh singh by guru gobind singh ji

2.He was given farrar and 5 teers by guru sahib and send to punjab with few hukams like not to get married, not to leave even a hill kingdom without punishing them, not to change mareyada of khalsa panth, not to believe muslims.

3.He won punjab defeated muslims and hill kings but one of the king in order to do friendship with sikhs offered her daughter for marriage with banda bahadar which he accepted and did not punished that reyasat from here on he started changing sooner he thought he is undefeatable some people started calling him nehkalank avtar and he started projecting himself as guru

4.He started his own panth which is even flourishing today know as bandai khalsa he stoped khande batte de paul and again started mareyada of charna amrit and sooner many sikh left him and settled him amritsar while he was in gurdasnangal and few sikhs kept moving with him only because of the bachans of kalgidhar pita that no matter what dont leave baba banda bahadar.

5.Mata ji from delhi wrote him a letter that all the matters in punjab have been settled now banda bahadar should move to patna sahib for some time there are few things to be done. he replyed that he is a veshnu sadhu he is not a sikh why should he accept mata jis command

6.He made muslims friends and finally was caught alive then he realised it was not his power but guru sahibs then he came back to the panth ...

In short he started as sikh but due to undeafetable character he got ehankar and when he was caught he saw the truth it was the power of guru gobind singh not his and died as a sikh in delhi ... This is as per our Purtan history ... In new history hindus show him as barigi sadhu who was never a sikh and sikhs show him that he was never did anything against sikhism ... People are free to believe what they like ...

rest by saying that banda bahadar never started his own panth is wrong there are loads of bandai khalsa in delhi up and jammu they have linage of gurus after banda bahadar they have their nitname and mareyada ... if we sikhs say that there was no bandai khalsa created by banda bahadar overlooking all the facts just to prove banda bahadar was a pooran sikh is just like RSS saying guru gobind singh never created khalsa overlooking all facts to prove he was a hindu ...

in order to see that banda bahadar tried to change mareyada of panth there are lots of hukamnamas written by him which use Fathe darshan instead of vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fathe ...

and one more thing his name was "gurbaksh singh" as given by guru sahib ... but on the peak of his power he changed is name to banda bahadar and made it his signature ... all his hukamnamas are sighned with this name and he left the name given by guru sahib ...

today we have a sakhi that banda bahadar was name given to him by guru sahib ...

1. why its not recorded in panth parkash naveen panth parkash suraj parkash or any other granth ...

2. why guru sahib gave him a new name when they already named him gurbaksh singh

3. why he as a sikh left a singh name and adopted bahadar name ..

He lead khalsa fauj as a sikh ... He gave his shahhedi in delhi as a sikh no doubt ... but in a certain portion of life he lived a life where he was bemukh from guru and khalsa panth ... our older history says it all because its written by bhagats and shahheds who have faith in truth our history is golden they never tried to paint it gold ... they wrote clearly that looking at abdalis fauj khalsa panth hide in jungles and how abdali wrote letter that i heard sikhs are very brave but how come just hearing my horses coming they vanished and how sukha singh came forward ... they wrote truth and only truth without thinking how would it look when people would read it ... but our new history ... take our golden history and paint it with more gold add ur own things and remove facts to make it look 24 c gold ... which are more like khaniya then our itehas ...

I think you paint a very bleak picture of Banda Singh, but he was a pooran Gursikh who stayed true to Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Yes he made mistakes but not to the extent you are suggesting. You say that he thought of himself as undefeatable, that is a subjective statement, ones undefeatable is anothers total trust in Akaal Purkh. As for some people calling him nehkalank, well he never promoted it and he never promoted himself as nehklank. As for projecting himself as Guru, he was the leader of the panth at the time and he projected himself as a leader so that all Sikhs would come under the banner as one. I do not think you can call Bandhi Khalsa a separate panth. Even now we have Bhidi Chand panthies, Damadhami Takhsal even Bhai Randhir singhs AKJ and each one has a maryadha different to the other but all are under the banner of Khalsa, so are the Bhandi Khalsa. You make it sound as if he was some outcast with a few Sikhs following him about. This is not the case, when he proceeded towards Sirhand and the other states the Khalsa was with him. I do not for one moment believe that he would reply to Mata Jis letter with the statement that “I am a veshnu sadhu and not a Sikh.” He left his baraghi life behind when he bowed to charan of Guru Gobind Singh Ji, after that he would never say “I am a veshnu Sadhu” he was the leader of the Sikhs as an amritdhari as bestowed upon him by Guru Ji., so that does not make sense at all. “He made muslim friends” what exactly does that mean ? He was hunted down by each and every muslim in the country, the muslims hated him and feared him in equal measure. “And finally he was caught and realised the power was from guru Ji ” - He never abandoned Guru Ji in the first place and placed his faith in Him at all times. So he was caught and then in the few days before he was shaheeded, he suddenly came back into the pant? Exactly how did that happen? Thing is he never left the panth in the first place. As for being called Banda Bahadur. Take the example of Bhai Nand Lall Ji, do you think that he did not take amrit from Guru Gobind Singh Ji? Of course he did, so why do we not call him Bhai Nand Singh ? Even Guru Ji called him Nand Lall. This was due to affection and piyar and Guru Ji called him Nand Lall even though he was an amritdhari Sikh. In the same way Guru Ji gave him the name of Gurbaksh Singh but referred to him as “my Banda” so the nickname of Banda stuck and as his feats increased and his bravery spread he became known as Banda Bahadur. Does this make him bemukh, I think not.

This is typical Sikh mentality. We all have faults, who doesn’t, yes he made choices which upon hindsight he could have chosen a different route but rather then look at his amazing achievements and accomplishments we focus on the negative and even diminish the great things he did. Of the above reply there are maybe two lines of his accomplishments and the rest 95% disses this pooran gursikh, the braver of braves.

This is the sikh who headed to Samana home of Sayyad Jalal ul din who had shaheeded the ninth Guru and fought a huge battle then turned towards the place where Shashl Beg and Hashal Beg lived and again meted out summary justice. He went on to and was victorious at Ghuram and Thaska and Mustafabad. Then on to Kapuri and to Sirhand. Where ever he went with Guru Jis kirpa he was victorious

Funny how we say that Banda became full of himself, yet when he minted coins the inscription he put was :

Degh O Tegh O Fateh O Nasrat-I-bedirang

Yaft az Nanak Guru Gobind Singh.

The inscription eulogised the cauldron (representing Sikh commitment to feed the poor) and the sword ( the symbol of power) and unqualified patronage as attributes bequeathed by Guru Nanak to Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Yes he made mistakes but not to the extent you are suggesting.

Which mistakes are u talking about ??? I m not suggesting anything myself our history is suggesting this ... and if we say i dont think so it can happen that cannot change a thing which has already taken place ...

You say that he thought of himself as undefeatable, that is a subjective statement, ones undefeatable is anothers total trust in Akaal Purkh. As for some people calling him nehkalank, well he never promoted it and he never promoted himself as nehklank.

according to rattan singh bhangus panth parkash when banda bhadar visited sri harimander sahib he say a very beautiful chattar in the darbar of guru ramdas ... and he said to sikhs i wish a chatter like this would be on my head to ... at that point he was thrashed by sikhs for the first time ... covered in panth parkash ... and there are no of examples in our history that he saw himself as undefeatable ... he fought a number of times with khalsa the source of his power ... at one place baba binod singh almost killed banda bhadar but stoped by his son baaj singh baba binod singh and baaj singh were 2 out of 5 singhs send from nander by guru sahib ... baaj singh told baba binod singh towait and watch and leave banda bahadar and move to amritsar and majority joined him ... 3 of the five sikhs left banda bahadar by the time he was caught ...

we use a word today called "tat khalsa" how come this tat khalsa came into being ... tat means orignal ... sikhs which left banda bahadar and did not converted to bandai khalsa called them self tat khalsa ... if there was nothing wrong with banda bahadar why did sikhs left him and had to name themself tat khalsa ...

I do not think you can call Bandhi Khalsa a separate panth. Even now we have Bhidi Chand panthies, Damadhami Takhsal even Bhai Randhir singhs AKJ and each one has a maryadha different to the other but all are under the banner of Khalsa, so are the Bhandi Khalsa.

see here again thats what i always say dont take it personal but we make comments emotionaly without knowing about the thing which always end up how the thing should be ...

bandai khalsa even today takes charna amrit ... keeping hair is not part of rehat nor they use singh in their name ... their read bani of sikh gurus but dont keep any sikh rehat ... they wear red they dont eat meat onions garlic etc ... our main place is harimander sahib ... their place is in jammu ...

as per bandai khalsa the follwers of banda bahadar ... he never got shaheedi at delhi ... they still have a lineage oh kids of baba banda bahadar ... i write a brief history of baba banda bahadar as per his followers ... baba ji took his swas in dasam duar and mughals thought he is dead and left him to be eaten by dogs with other sikhs ... in the night baba banda bahadar got his swas back down to his naval ... and from there went to jammu state ... there he got married and two sons were born and from them to today there is an unbroken linage ....

many sikh scholars knows these facts to but they dont say anything about this ...

the thing i stated above can be confirmed and checked ...

when he proceeded towards Sirhand and the other states the Khalsa was with him.

by the time he was caught in gurdas nanagal majority of sikhs were in sri amritsar ... handful were with his so as to keep the bachans of kalgidhar pita ...

Mata Jis letter

again covered in panth parkash very clearly

He was hunted down by each and every muslim in the country, the muslims hated him and feared him in equal measure.

Farkshiyar king of delhi of that time paid him 8 lakh gold coins as statement of peace in punjab which he accepted and settled in gurdasnangal where he was caught by the same Farkshiyar king ... before that baba banda bahadar was always on a move ...

“And finally he was caught and realised the power was from guru Ji ” - He never abandoned Guru Ji in the first place and placed his faith in Him at all times. So he was caught and then in the few days before he was shaheeded, he suddenly came back into the pant? Exactly how did that happen? Thing is he never left the panth in the first place.

i think there are enough evidence to prove that for a certain period of time banda bahadar got bemukh ... open any history book and i mean any written before 1960s u can read it clearly ....

Take the example of Bhai Nand Lall Ji, do you think that he did not take amrit from Guru Gobind Singh Ji? Of course he did, so why do we not call him Bhai Nand Singh ? Even Guru Ji called him Nand Lall.

no he didnt nor did bhai khaniya ji or bhai duni ram or baba gurbaksh ram or bhai shekhu ji or raja balwant rai and list goes ... there are not few but many gursikhs from guru jis time who didnt took khande batte di paul ...

This is typical Sikh mentality. We all have faults, who doesn’t, yes he made choices which upon hindsight he could have chosen a different route but rather then look at his amazing achievements and accomplishments we focus on the negative and even diminish the great things he did. Of the above reply there are maybe two lines of his accomplishments and the rest 95% disses this pooran gursikh, the braver of braves.

This is the sikh who headed to Samana home of Sayyad Jalal ul din who had shaheeded the ninth Guru and fought a huge battle then turned towards the place where Shashl Beg and Hashal Beg lived and again meted out summary justice. He went on to and was victorious at Ghuram and Thaska and Mustafabad. Then on to Kapuri and to Sirhand. Where ever he went with Guru Jis kirpa he was victorious

Funny how we say that Banda became full of himself, yet when he minted coins the inscription he put was :

Degh O Tegh O Fateh O Nasrat-I-bedirang

Yaft az Nanak Guru Gobind Singh.

The inscription eulogised the cauldron (representing Sikh commitment to feed the poor) and the sword ( the symbol of power) and unqualified patronage as attributes bequeathed by Guru Nanak to Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

well ur judging jeevan of baba banda bahadar as its of one day but he lived for years ... yes he gave punishment to pahari rajas yes he gave punishment to wajir khan and other mughals ... he ended mughalraj and started khalsa raj ... later he gave shahhedi in delhi ... there is no doubt there is hard to find a sikh who has done so much for panth in his lifetime ... there is no doubt ... but when we speak history it should be based on facts and records not what should have happened according to me that would be my thinking based on my emotions not history ...

i always try and speak truth not just what i have heard but what i have read myself keeping aside what i think because i dont think anymore i only learn what ever it is ... read any book on baba banda bhadar written before 1960s and truth will come forward ... i would try and scan and put the panth parkash pages on banda bahdars history very soon ... and love to talk about on the bases of facts rather then emotions ...

Banda Bahadur was the great Singh of Guru Gobind Singh. Most of his biography was written by persons biased against him therefore show him in poor light. Baba Binod Singh and many Sikhs who left banda got employment form Mughals and Jagirs and horses. He was not popular becuase he was with a cold heart and lonesome. And Bandai Khalsa formed after his death therefore not Bandas deed. His deeds were great therefore he may have grown haughty, but he still was the greatest Sikh. Even Bhai Mani Singh did beadbi of Gurbani by shredding it. Nobody is spotless only the guru is true.