Hindu-Sikh..Confusion!

gurmzz

So Technically, I am a hindu-sikh, however that works..My parents believe in both. Since two years, I have stopped following hinduism and have become Sikh.

But yesterday, I was having a discussion with my jiju, he said that Sikhs are hindus! I didn't get that. He kept on saying Guru Nanak was a hindu so then Sikhism was meant to be a sect of sorts of Hinduism. He also mentioned that Guru Gobind Singh ji was also hindu but created Khalsa later, and he created it for the hindus protection. Being the humble guy that I am, I kept my answers to myself even though I had enough proof that Sikhism was a religion on its own.

What do you guyz think abt this? Guru Nanak was born a Hindu, but he didn't believe in their practices right?

WJKK WJKF

Jesus was born to a Jewish mother(Mother Mary).

Does that make him a Jew?

Mohammed was born to a family of pagans.

Does that make him a Pagan?

Buddha was born to a family of Hindus.

Does that make him a Hindu?

To be honest, even Muslims want to claim SatGuroo ji as theirs. Because , he traveled to Mecca to preach the truth.Also, Medina where Muhammad is burried in Masjidil Al-Nabawi.

Does this make Guru Nanak a Muslim now?

(as how the Muslims claim?)

Read Gurbani of Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji or the translations. You will observe for yourself that many practices such as Sutak, Caste, and empty rituals of the Brahmins have been rejected by SatGuroo Nanak Dev Ji.

Jesus was born to a Jewish mother(Mother Mary).

Does that make him a Jew?

Mohammed was born to a family of pagans.

Does that make him a Pagan?

Buddha was born to a family of Hindus.

Does that make him a Hindu?

To be honest, even Muslims want to claim SatGuroo ji as theirs. Because , he traveled to Mecca to preach the truth.Also, Medina where Muhammad is burried in Masjidil Al-Nabawi.

Does this make Guru Nanak a Muslim now?

(as how the Muslims claim?)

Read Gurbani of Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji or the translations. You will observe for yourself that many practices such as Sutak, Caste, and empty rituals of the Brahmins have been rejected by SatGuroo Nanak Dev Ji.

exactly, and guru nanak rejected the jineu (hindu thread), rejected the caste system etc.

does that make him a hindu/ we are the khalsa, and we rep the oraange and the blue :)

So Technically, I am a hindu-sikh, however that works..My parents believe in both. Since two years, I have stopped following hinduism and have become Sikh.

But yesterday, I was having a discussion with my jiju, he said that Sikhs are hindus! I didn't get that. He kept on saying Guru Nanak was a hindu so then Sikhism was meant to be a sect of sorts of Hinduism. He also mentioned that Guru Gobind Singh ji was also hindu but created Khalsa later, and he created it for the hindus protection. Being the humble guy that I am, I kept my answers to myself even though I had enough proof that Sikhism was a religion on its own.

What do you guyz think abt this? Guru Nanak was born a Hindu, but he didn't believe in their practices right?

WJKK WJKF

Sat Sri Akal Veerji...

well there has been enough discussion on this topic and that too in detail many times on this very website...however it is not easy to retrieve all those links now...so I will take this oppurtunity to answer your qyeries...!

Let me start by making it clear that I have nothing against hinduism...but sikhism is by no means hinduism or sect of hinduism...Guru Nanak was born in Hindu family...but my dear friend one's faith is decided by what pactices he/she follow...pardon me asking didnt Guru Nanak denounced the use of janeou, is there any instance when He worshipped idols or Hindu demi Gods...it never happened. His worship was aimed at one true Lord...further how many sikh Gurus propogated the core message of hinduism that is believe in tri shakti of Brahma Vishnu and Mahesh...no one...!

so sikhism and hinduism are two separate faiths...there is one more reason which people give to state sikhism as sects of hinduism...they say in Guru Granth Sahib there are names of hindu demigods repeated inside Guru Maharaaj...but they never realise that all these are names of GOD since ages...RAM naam was there even before Lord Rama too birth...in the same way other names are there...!

we are the khalsa, and we rep the oraange and the blue :)

That Just reminded me of another topic me nd my jiju were talkin abt! :o

Is it true that we had weapons under the golden temple complex...that Indira Gandhi wanted to check it..and we refused and then she attacked us?

WJKK WJKF

we are the khalsa, and we rep the oraange and the blue smile.gif

That Just reminded me of another topic me nd my jiju were talkin abt! ohmy.gif

Is it true that we had weapons under the golden temple complex...that Indira Gandhi wanted to check it..and we refused and then she attacked us?

WJKK WJKF

Now thats a serious topic...well Sant ji and other men did possess some weapons which they used to resist the attack of Indian army...Sant ji and sikhs with him wanted the govt of india to approove Anandpur Sahib resolution which Indian Govt. didnt want and also akalis were ready to edit Anandpur sahib resolution and adopt it...ofcourse which they could not force the central govt. to do even till date...they were and are at fault...!

Sant ji as akalis and central govt used to consider him as biggest obstacle...so plans were made to eliminate him...that's why Harmandar Sahib was attacked...Before attacking no central govt. official came to Sant ji for peacefull talks and only army came to attack him...and akalis did nothing to stop it as they were themselves part of it...!

thats the reason buddy...and probably you will find thousands of fake reasons which would try to malign the image of Sant ji...even more in congress Govt. white paper issued at that time...do not believe all that stuff...ask the victims of operation bluestar who were able to escape death at that time...!