Caste n marriage...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

hmm..i was just wondering...as a gursikh...we're not suppose to look at caste n stuff when getting married rite??...our gurus has eliminated it..rite?...

wat abt..pind? the elderly ppl always look at the pind n all so that u won't get married frm a person frm the same pind..is that important??

n the caste system..y is it still going on until today even our gurus have taken it out of sikhi??

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

i remember the local gyani at our pind son was in love with a girl from the same pind. all the people ganged up on the gyani because they reckoned he never taught them properly. they really insulted gyani ji as well, took his kurtha down (the buddhis did this) and made him walk in his kachera. but the son of a gyani (whos amritdhari) to go for another girl, whom i doubt is amritdhari. now thats bad. but the punishment hould never have been done on the gyani i think.

so he left the pind.

felt so sorry for him, he was the gyani for 40 years.

As what i know.. we shouldnt practise CASTE system in SIKHI.. may i rephrase it we CANNOT practise caste system... now the issue of pind... all i gather is they usually dont allow the girl or boy who has surnames (dhillon, brar, gill --> dis sort of stuffs) to get married to each other.. but my question here is shouldnt our surnames be KHALSA ... the only reason they dont allow u to get marry from people of the same pind is because most of the time the whole pind people are sorta related to each other..

anyway i hope someone could shed some light over this matter.. i mean why bother looking at those surnames which indicates sorta from which pind are u from.. all of us should be KHALSA and not some gill or sandhu or whatever...

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

CASTES are banned! The reason why in old-times people used to marry within the pind was because travel was limited and those are the only people they knew well. Unfortunately, just leave it to the old crew to turn something which started out as a "convienence" into some psyco tradition. :wub:

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

So the fact is:

As Sikh rehit says: a Khalsa should marry a Khalsa (amritdhari),

that totaly blasts the punjabi culture that same surname people should not marry each other......

as all Khalsas are Guru Gobind Singh's children....in this case the marriage should occur between the children...because the relationship to Guru Sahib is spiritual! And the relationship between the children is also spiritual.

So i guess it comes down to spirituality vs culture....it is hard to follow both. we should choose one of them...and those elements that don't go against Sikh rehit (if Sikhism is followed).

I remembered something my teacher told us, after Khalsa4Ever veerji made his point.

Among the inuit polulation that lives in Greenland, etc:

they live in very small groups and have to marry amongst eachothers.....after a while they loose gens...and that can be dangerous. so what they do is when the see a foreigner (a non-inuit) they ask them to marry a women from their tribes.....so a foreign gen or non-inuit blood is added to their population and they don't have to suffer because of gen faliures, etc.

So this shows that the:

Jatt people might also have been a type of nomadic people before and had to rely on "foreign" gens to survive (so they relyied upon other jatt tribes)

This tradition has survived even tough they have been living as farmers for thousands of years, and this shows that they are extremly aware of their ways of life and are not open to change.

PS: the gen faliure thing is for real....too much of the same blood mixing can cause serious damage in a population, according to my teacher.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Well our gurus fought against cast system.If we read gurbani it makes very clear that a person cant be high or low just bcos he or she is born to some cast.If someone feels superior for having an upper cast or feels low bcos of lower cast then its just ignorance.

Best thing for sikhs is not to use any surname with name bcos our name should only be singh or kaur ,otherwise it shows we are more proud of our surname than singh or kaur .We should be proud of using singh or kaur with our names without any surnames.it will also unite us as a panth.People who are still using cast names with names are doing so in ignorance of sikhi or in ego which is again an ignorance.

About situations in pinds of punjab,well even though sikhi is against many practices,these things are still deep routed in punjabi society.But not all are same, those who know sikhi well know these things dont have any importance.isuue of casts is one of those things which is deep routed in punjabi society(except for those who live truely by sikhi) and all cast considerations during marriages are under effect of that only.but there is something i beleive is right,That is the marrying people should not be from the same subcast(if both are of same cast as well).I guess scientific reason for this is that people of same subcast (within a cast)are most likely to have common gene pool and in such cases the children are most likely to be born with disabilities.Now this consideration need to be there only if one is marying within same cast.If someone is marrying another cast then ofcourse there should be no problem with anything in this regard.this is what

i know from my knowledge ,i would request sangat here to say something on this aspect if someone knows better.

As i said caste thing is something which is not in sikhi but surely still in punjabi society,and it is also fact that many people who know sikhi well and find a suitable match in another cast dont hesitate to marry.I have a relative who married in another cast,there were some initial concerns of families but there were good sikhs on both sides and it worked out fine and they now have great life together.

Bhul chuk maaf.

Gurfateh