Campaign To Stop Kps Gill Attending Un Human Rights Council In Geneva

Campaign to stop KPS Gill attending UN Human Rights Council in Geneva

The Sikh Federation (UK) has written to Dr Charles Graves, the Secretary General of Interfaith International, who has accredited 17 Indian nationals, including KPS Gill to take part in the next UN Human Rights Council session in Geneva.

The Federation has also alerted Sikhs in Switzerland to contact the Swiss authorities so action can be taken for the atrocities he has committed, including the possibility of the arrest of KPS Gill if he travels to Switzerland.

The matter is also being taken up with the Foreign Office by UK MPs to ensure UK representatives at the UN try and prevent his presence. The Federation is urging Sikhs to write to MPs to pressure the Foreign Office and the Swiss Embassy in London.

Bhai Amrik Singh, the Chair of the Sikh Federation (UK) said:

‘We are also liaising with Sikhs in Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand and other parts of Europe to take similar action with their respective governments and the Swiss authorities so we can stop KPS Gill making an appearance.

We also know certain Sikh groups and individuals from the UK, Canada, Belgium and Switzerland who regularly attend parallel events at the UN Human Rights Council through Interfaith International. They need to make their positions very clear that it is unacceptable behaviour on the part of Interfaith International to accredit KPS Gill and break ties with this NGO if they persist in such activities.’

KPS Gill should be allowed free travel throughout the world this is the smartest thing the Sikh community can do. Sooner or later KPS Gill can be arrested in a country outside India on the 'alleged' charge of genocide and the ordering of the murder of Jaswant Singh Khalsa. Sikhs need to get smart, get to know the system to play for their advantage. General Pinochet on 17 October 1998, while visiting the United Kingdom for medical treatment, was arrested on a Spanish provisional warrant for the murders of Spanish citizens in Chile while he was president. Whilst the case never lead to a trial it set a legal precedent for the world. Former PM Tony Blair is aware of this precedent and will not travel to certain countries in case he is arrested for War Crimes in relation to the 'illegal war' over Iraq.

The likes of Rob Marris MP for Wolverhampton has 'inadvertently or purposely' worked against the interest of the Sikhs in preventing Jagdish Tytler in visiting the UK? Jagdish Tytler has more chance being arrested on foreign soil than in India itself. Acts of genocide are potentially prosecutable by any country with a half decent Judiciary which Britain certainly has, the Pinochet case is proof of this. Genocide is recognised as an international crime with no border restrictions. Can you imagine the diplomatic row if Jagdish Tytler was arrested on British soil on the charges of genocide? Rob Marris being an MP of the serving government was 'probably' saving the Labour Government from a international diplomatic row?

Sikhs should get smart, send a First Class ticket to KPS Gill to visit a country where he can be arrested and brought to trial!

Jeevan & Militant Singh

What you say is theoretically correct.

However, lets get real and take the UK as an example.

Whilst the law has been in place since 1988 (almost 22 years) there has only been 1 successful arrest and prosecution.

If you talk to organisations like REDRESS, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch etc. they will explain how:

i) there is usually a lack of political will with governments to prosecute,

ii) there are strict policies - you must have produced a legal case in advance of the persons arrival in the country (with witnesses) and provided it to the police - in the UK a unit at the Scotland Yard - the police then need to have looked at the evidence and interviewed witnesses etc. and satisfied themselves they can arrest the person concerned.

In practice (reality) it is easier to have someone excluded as the above is just not in place in the UK and most other countries.

If we just say let someone freely travel - have we in place - laws in the respective countries (in this case Switzerland), a willingness of the government to act and have Sikhs living in that country prepared a case - handed it to the (Swiss) police - have the (Swiss) police investigated and confirmed they will arrest the person concerned.

The Sikh Federation (UK) will post some recent correspondence between Jagdish Tytler and Rob Marris MP in the last week to show how exclusion has had an effect.

Also Dr Charles Graves, the Secretary General of Interfaith International, has just written to the Sikh Federation (UK) denying he has accredited KPS Gill. He has suggested a conspiracy theory to have Interfaith International's consultative NGO status removed.

India may have leaked the item to the media in the first place! Incidentally, he claims it is Pakistan that is pushing for Interfaith International's consultative NGO status to be removed.

Jagtar Singh , the article doesnt tell us when the next session is. When is it and is there any realistic chance of having him arrested? Has anyone in UK/europe registered any case against him in UK/europe?

remember he has been to europe before and nothing has happened to him, so what chance do we have this time?

If there is realistically no chance of him being arrested, then the next best step is to call for his ban on attending. this will at least be repoerted in indian media if not anywhere else.

Jagtar Singh , the article doesnt tell us when the next session is. When is it and is there any realistic chance of having him arrested? Has anyone in UK/europe registered any case against him in UK/europe?

remember he has been to europe before and nothing has happened to him, so what chance do we have this time?

If there is realistically no chance of him being arrested, then the next best step is to call for his ban on attending. this will at least be repoerted in indian media if not anywhere else.

The 13th session of the Human Rights Council is in Geneva from 1-26 March 2010.

Interfaith International had two parallel events yesterday - Thursday 11 March 2010

10 a.m. - 11 a.m. - Human rights in South Asia (Room XXII)

3 p.m. - 5 p.m. - Human rights in Pakistan (Room XXVII)

Presumably KPS Gill would have tried to attend one or both these events.

• 2 weeks later...

This is why KPS Gill should be allowed to travel anywhere in the world and why Sikhs must encourage it! I said it before I say it again Rob Marris MP for Wolverhampton is doing no favours for the Sikhs!

HOME PAGE arrow More in News... arrow Several Canadian members of Parliament show solidarity with 1984 Sikh genocide justice campaign

Several Canadian members of Parliament show solidarity with 1984 Sikh genocide justice campaign Print

Punjab Newsline Network

Saturday, 27 March 2010

Kamal Nath met by Hundreds of Protestors in Ottawa

TORONTO: Canada's Sikh community gathered in hundreds at Parliament Hill to protest Kamal Nath, the Indian Minister of Road Transport and Highways, who led a mob attack against a Sikh Gurdwara where two Sikhs were burned alive following the assassination of Indira Gandhi in 1984.

Sikhs For Justice, Ontario Gurudwara Committee, Ontario Gurudwara and Sikh Council, United Front of Sikhs and Management Committees of Montreal Gurudwaras Lasalle, DDO, Pac Extension and the Canadian Sikh community were greeted warmly by several Canadian members of parliament, who chose not to attend the reception for Kamal Nath.

MPs Sukh Dhaliwal (Newton-North Delta), Jack Harris (St. John's East), Peter Julian (Burnaby-New Westminster), Andrew Kania (Brampton West) and Robert Oliphant (Don Valley West) joined the protest and expressed solidarity opposing the reception arranged by the India High Commission.

As the Co-Chair of the Canada-India Friendship Group of MPs, Oliphant said he chose not to participate once he learned about the questionable character of Kamal Nath and the allegations being brought against him.

http://www.punjabnewsline.com/content/view/24521/38/

• 2 weeks later...

I said it before I say it again the Sikh Community should allow and support free movement of all those accused in the anti Sikh riots of 1984, look what the US courts are doing to Kamal Nath.

I also stated before Rob Marris MP Wolverhampton South West is no friend of the Sikhs!

Kamal Nath summoned by US court for alleged role in anti-Sikh riots

7 Apr 2010, 1200 hrs IST,PTI

NEW YORK: Road Transport and Highways Minister Kamal Nath has been summoned by a US federal district court for his alleged role in the 1984

anti-Sikh riots based on a case filed by a Sikh outfit.

In the civil case filed under the Alien Torts Claims Act, the petitioners sought compensatory and punitive damages for several allegations including crimes against humanity, degrading treatment and wrongful killing.

However, Nath, who is incidentally here on a visit, said he was "surprised and appalled" as the case has been filed 25 years after the anti-Sikh riots in India.

"I really have no clue about it. I don't have a basis and I don't know the authenticity. I don't know the validity. It was for the first time that I saw it," Nath told PTI when asked to comment on the case.

Nath has been served a notice and has to respond within 21 days failing which the court will give a default judgment on the matter.

The minister said that he would have to study the matter further.

"A piece of paper was given to me. I will have to see what the piece of paper is all about," he said.

Nath stressed that he had never been charged in any court and questioned why these allegations were being raised more than two decades after the tragedy and that too in a foreign land.

"Nobody has ever charged me in India. But if the United States charges me 25 years later for something that has happened in India...well it just reflects on the authenticity," he said.

"For the last 25 years I wasn't involved...suddenly in 2010 I get involved...There was nobody who stood up and said that he was a victim or that I was in any way connected. So I'm surprised and appalled."

The case has been filed by two Sikhs, Jasbir Singh and Mahinder Singh on behalf of the New York based organisation, Sikhs for Justice.

Their attorney Gurpatwant Pannun claimed Jasbir lost 24 members of his family and Mahinder, who was two-years-old then, lost his father.

"In India it is impossible to hold human rights violators," Pannun told PTI.

The Sikh group said that they are acting now because they have given up hope for action to be taken in India.

"We waited for all these years because commissions were being set up...there was hope but because of his position Kamal Nath has successfully avoided justice for 25 years," said Pannun.