Predictions

sall

WJKK WJKF

Why is it that we always seem to believe predications and put so much weight on proclaiming certain events are going to happen, being told by our lineage or samprada sants or even prominent Sikhs

Questions is:

Does Gurbani teach us to look for such predictions when it crystal clear in Japji Guru Sahib mentions " Ant nah japee kehaa maan maant" !! ???

Why is it so important for us, it seems in the whole of India, punjabis are the most influenced by this behaviour even more than hindus??

Sensible answers only please with backup from Gurbani if possible...

WJKK WJKF

Why is it that we always seem to believe predications and put so much weight on proclaiming certain events are going to happen, being told by our lineage or samprada sants or even prominent Sikhs

Questions is:

Does Gurbani teach us to look for such predictions when it crystal clear in Japji Guru Sahib mentions " Ant nah japee kehaa maan maant" !! ???

Why is it so important for us, it seems in the whole of India, punjabis are the most influenced by this behaviour even more than hindus??

Sensible answers only please with backup from Gurbani if possible...

I think balance is the key thing, just like with anything in Sikhi. Predictions can be true and have proven to be so in many cases not just by gursikhs but by people of many other faiths and some of no faith but just have natural ability to sense things.

Now the issue is of us getting obsessed with these, that is when it becomes a problem, but it also becomes a problem when we try to totally ignore them and don’t accept them at all. Just like ghosts etc, u get extremes both sides, some ppl totally saying they don’t exist and other who’s lives revolve around spirits etc i.e. black magic, exorcisms etc

I think one should balance them out, gurus did say what will happen in future times and things have happened to that effect whether that be a bachan or prediction same as many saints I am sure…ie did baba Buddha jee nto say to mata ganga jee your son will crush heads of the moguls etc….well it happened so what will say to that, its all wrong? Maharaja tells us in gurbani mahaparloh comes and destroys earth and then a new jug starts..is that a prediction and is it wrong then?

So it is wrong for us to totally say they are wrong and in the same way it’s wrong to obsess and stop living normal life….now I guess this has come about from previous posts of predictions for coming future….best thing is to not do too much thinking and concentrate on gurbani as ultimately unless one has been enlightened we don’t know the truth but can only go on what enlightened souls tell us.

But I do feel kaljug is getting stronger and we have stopped believing the saints of akaal purkh. they have mercy on us but we say nah you dotn know what your talking about..foget the 40+ years of hardcore seva and part/simran ....

Guru Nanak Sahib made a prediction in Babar bani about the Mughals

ਤਿਲੰਗ ਮਹਲਾ Tilang, First Mehl:

ਜੈਸੀ ਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਖਸਮ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਤੈਸੜਾ ਕਰੀ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ

As the Word of the Forgiving Lord comes to me, so do I express it, O Lalo.

ਪਾਪ ਕੀ ਜੰਞ ਲੈ ਕਾਬਲਹੁ ਧਾਇਆ ਜੋਰੀ ਮੰਗੈ ਦਾਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ

Bringing the marriage party of sin, Babar has invaded from Kaabul, demanding our land as his wedding gift, O Lalo.

ਸਰਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦੁਇ ਛਪਿ ਖਲੋਏ ਕੂੜੁ ਫਿਰੈ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ

Modesty and righteousness both have vanished, and falsehood struts around like a leader, O Lalo.

ਕਾਜੀਆ ਬਾਮਣਾ ਕੀ ਗਲ ਥਕੀ ਅਗਦੁ ਪੜੈ ਸੈਤਾਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ

The Qazis and the Brahmins have lost their roles, and Satan now conducts the marriage rites, O Lalo.

ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨੀਆ ਪੜਹਿ ਕਤੇਬਾ ਕਸਟ ਮਹਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ

The Muslim women read the Koran, and in their misery, they call upon God, O Lalo.

ਜਾਤਿ ਸਨਾਤੀ ਹੋਰਿ ਹਿਦਵਾਣੀਆ ਏਹਿ ਭੀ ਲੇਖੈ ਲਾਇ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ

The Hindu women of high social status, and others of lowly status as well, are put into the same category, O Lalo.

ਖੂਨ ਕੇ ਸੋਹਿਲੇ ਗਾਵੀਅਹਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਤੁ ਕਾ ਕੁੰਗੂ ਪਾਇ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ ॥੧॥

The wedding songs of murder are sung, O Nanak, and blood is sprinkled instead of saffron, O Lalo. ||1||

ਸਾਹਿਬ ਕੇ ਗੁਣ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਗਾਵੈ ਮਾਸ ਪੁਰੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਖੁ ਮਸੋਲਾ

Nanak sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord and Master in the city of corpses, and voices this account.

ਜਿਨਿ ਉਪਾਈ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਵਾਈ ਬੈਠਾ ਵੇਖੈ ਵਖਿ ਇਕੇਲਾ

The One who created, and attached the mortals to pleasures, sits alone, and watches this.

ਸਚਾ ਸੋ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਚੁ ਤਪਾਵਸੁ ਸਚੜਾ ਨਿਆਉ ਕਰੇਗੁ ਮਸੋਲਾ

The Lord and Master is True, and True is His justice. He issues His Commands according to His judgment.

ਕਾਇਆ ਕਪੜੁ ਟੁਕੁ ਟੁਕੁ ਹੋਸੀ ਹਿਦੁਸਤਾਨੁ ਸਮਾਲਸੀ ਬੋਲਾ

The body-fabric will be torn apart into shreds, and then India will remember these words.

ਆਵਨਿ ਅਠਤਰੈ ਜਾਨਿ ਸਤਾਨਵੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਭੀ ਉਠਸੀ ਮਰਦ ਕਾ ਚੇਲਾ

Coming in seventy-eight (1521 A.D.), they will depart in ninety-seven (1540 A.D.), and then another disciple of man will rise up.

ਸਚ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਆਖੈ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਣਾਇਸੀ ਸਚ ਕੀ ਬੇਲਾ ॥੨॥੩॥੫॥

Nanak speaks the Word of Truth; he proclaims the Truth at this, the right time. ||2||3||5||