The Southall Election - The Closest We Have Come To Getting A Dastar Into The Houses Of Parliament

theres a bunch of nuts in every packet....

Anyway......Gurcharan Singh....Zindabad!!!

Depends what else the packets has in it!

It's ok time will tell what Gurcharan singh really is, if he actually wins.

Did I also mention that he used to be a staunch labour supporter, then jumped ship, when they realised he wasn't the right candidate..? What does that show, well to me it shows he is more bothered about whether he can get elected and less about the party or policies he supports. Not a team player in my eyes.

Well I guess he gets that from cameron, I mean he tries to look the part, but has not really got any solid policies, cameron couldn't even answer most question on how the Tories are actually going create funding for all these things they are promising. Someone might like to remind them that we are in a recession..!!

theres a bunch of nuts in every packet....

Anyway......Gurcharan Singh....Zindabad!!!

Depends what else the packets has in it!

It's ok time will tell what Gurcharan singh really is, if he actually wins.

Did I also mention that he used to be a staunch labour supporter, then jumped ship, when they realised he wasn't the right candidate..? What does that show, well to me it shows he is more bothered about whether he can get elected and less about the party or policies he supports. Not a team player in my eyes.

Well I guess he gets that from cameron, I mean he tries to look the part, but has not really got any solid policies, cameron couldn't even answer most question on how the Tories are actually going create funding for all these things they are promising. Someone might like to remind them that we are in a recession..!!

Humgareeb, you seem to have a real problem with facts! First of all, you know nothing of the circumstances under which that decision (to defect to the Torys) was made. After the sitting MP at the time's death, a by-election was initiated in Southall. The selection process usually goes something like this:

1) hopeful candidates submit CVs

2) cv's are assessed and candidates are chosen for interview

3) 10 potential candidates are interviewed by a selection panel

4) 5 potential candidates are chosen to be put to a members vote

5) the candidate with the most votes get to be put forward as the party Parliamentary candidate for the by-election

Now, step 5 is where the process fell down. Rather than selecting 5 candidates, they chose 2 - V.Sharma and a complete "unknown". I was there and believe you me, when they announced this, there was an uproar. Everyone expected Singh to at least be given a shot so he could be put to vote. Now, this is where the facts get hazy. I've heard the following reasons:

- the Labour Party didn't want a bear and turban in its ranks in Parliament due to the link between that image and terrorism - MY VERDICT: plausible

- Gurcharan Singh failed at the interview and his CV just wasn't good enough - MY VERDICT: completely and utterly implausible

- V.Sharma did a backroom deal with Keith Vaz who was on the selection panel to ensure a clear path for himself - MY VERDICT: you can bet your bottom dollar on it!

;-)

I'm not for or against any candidate but I gotta say, if anyone is naive enough to believe someone with a dastaar is automatically superman for sikhs, I suggest you look at the Panjab Govt.

The Mps in this country are generally responsive to most ethnic minority issues regardless of what race they are. I am astounded by this very simple attitude some sikhs have. Look at the issues not the people. IMHO voting for someone on the basis they are an "apna" is on the same level as not voting for them because of some propaganda. Its no doubt we have such little Sikh representation seeing how politically immature we are!

I'm not for or against any candidate but I gotta say, if anyone is naive enough to believe someone with a dastaar is automatically superman for sikhs, I suggest you look at the Panjab Govt.

The Mps in this country are generally responsive to most ethnic minority issues regardless of what race they are. I am astounded by this very simple attitude some sikhs have. Look at the issues not the people. IMHO voting for someone on the basis they are an "apna" is on the same level as not voting for them because of some propaganda. Its no doubt we have such little Sikh representation seeing how politically immature we are!

I completely agree and so, judge Mr Gurcharan Singh on the facts ALONE.

Well put!

Manmohan Singh is PM of india? What has he done for the Sikhs do far? Hasn't even been able to bring to justice people who were responsible for riots of 84.

Let's get this backward mentality out of our heads, just coz he wears a pug he will be the right person.

Sharma is not probably a good candidate either, but let's not just vote for another sharma with a 'sikh' look!!

Politicians always promise a lot of things but do they deliver?

What should be done if he doesn't deliver? Do we want to be in the same position as we are in now?

hu gareeb how can you compare an anti sikh congress PM with a Sikh rights supporter such as manmohan SIngh its blatantly pobvious humgareeb doesnt want to see a singh in power

hu gareeb how can you compare an anti sikh congress PM with a Sikh rights supporter such as manmohan SIngh its blatantly pobvious humgareeb doesnt want to see a singh in power

As I said before I'm all up for a Singh!! But you need to be as Singh first, and that doesn't mean just the name, live up to what Singh means!!

Conservative policies are shambles!!