What Does Waheguru Mean?

Guest confuzzled

Guest confuzzled

vjkk vjkf!

I know the literal translations is vah - praise guru - teacher (bringer of light into darkness).

BUT when where in the sangat doing simran, are we saying vaheguru b/c it's the name of god? The name of god is praising the guru? as in Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj.

B/c thats what I've been thinking, but I think I need some clarification by some of the great gursikhs on this forum!

You may be interested to listen to the Katha " Waheguru Mantar" by Gyani Takhur Singh Patiala , which is available on the following link amongst others:-

http://www.gurbaniupdesh.org/multimedia/index.php?q=f&f=%2F04-Katha%2F13-Giani+Thakur+Singh+Ji+%28Patiala+Wale%29

All your questions will be answered in this Katha.

WJKK WJKF

Expanding more on what TejiKaur Bhenji wrote,

ਸਤਿਜੁਗਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਵਾਸਦੇਵ ਵਵਾ ਵਿਸਨਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ।

satijugi satigur vaasadayv vavaa visanaa naamu japaavai|

In Satyug, Visnu in the form of Vasudev is said to have incarnated and 'V' Of Vahiguru reminds of Visnu.

ਦੁਆਪਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਹਾਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ।

duaapari satigur haree krisan haahaa hari hari naamu japaavai|

The true Guru of dvapar is said to be Harikrsna and 'H' of Vahiguru reminds of Hari.

ਤੇਤੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਰਾਮ ਜੀ ਰਾਰਾ ਰਾਮ ਜਪੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ।

taytay satigur raam jee raaraa raam japay sukhu paavai|

In the the treta was Ram and 'R' of Vahiguru tells that rembering Ram will produce joy and happiness.

ਕਲਿਜੁਗਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗਗਾ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਲਾਵੈ ।

kalijugi naanak gur gobind gagaa gobind naamu alaavai|

In kalijug, Gobind is in the form of Nanak and 'G' of Vahiguru gets Govind recited.

ਚਾਰੇ ਜਾਗੇ ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗੀ ਪੰਚਾਇਣ ਵਿਚਿ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਵੈ ।

chaaray jaagay chahu jugee panchaain vichi jaai samaavai|

The recitations o f all the four ages subsume in Panchayan i.e. in the soul of the common man.

ਚਾਰੋ ਅਛਰ ਇਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਵਾਹਗੁਰੂ ਜਪੁ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਜਪਾਵੈ ।

chaaro achhar iku kari vaahaguroo japu mantr japaavai|

When joining four letters Vahiguru is remembered,

ਜਹਾ ਤੇ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਫਿਰਿ ਤਹਾ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥੪੯॥੧॥

jahaa tay upajiaa dhiri tahaa samaavai ॥49॥1॥

The jiv merges again in its origin.

Bhai Gurdas Ji's Vaaran, Vaar 1, Pauri 49

Bhul Chuk Maaf

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest Amarjit

I have also asked this question many times as it is really strange that the six Gurus whose Bani is in the Guru Granth Sahib has not used the word Waheguru in their writings neither has Guru Gobind Singh in his writing the Akal Ustat -etc.

The word Waheguru is written in the Bhat Bani page 1402 of the Guru Granth Sahib and refers to Lord Krishna. That is what surprises me is how can it be Gurmantr when none of the Gurus mentioned it in their Bani. Guru Ji Nanak said Ik Onkar.

I believe people should read the Guru Granth Sahib themselves and then will know that the most important message is about the one-ness of Ik Onkar who is not born and is the only Master of us all.

Another thing to note is that in the Guru Granth Sahib =the word Sahib is only used for God

Regards

Guest harsharanooo

Guru as stated above is the dispeller of the darkness of agyanta, of ignorance. At our level,It is an avastha also, of getting in comunion with the highest, Satnam, then that being is called Satguru, like for example our Guru Sahibans and the bhagats mentioned in the Guru Granth Sahib.

But that Guru is not any guru at our level, neither of the godly planes, nor incarnations nor prophets...none of these beings.

Wahiguru is another name also among so many, for the Lord Akal Purukh. Because, in the begining when there was nothing, nobody, even then, He created everything by His knowledge and power. In that way, Akal Purukh is also a Guru, He was the first Guru or we can say Aad Guru, means He has all the knowledge since the very begining.

And so when someone saw, all the majesty, all the grandeur, all the perfection of the creation, one just gets atonished and enters in a state of absolute wonder.

Just as we say: oh my God!

In a similar way, when we say Wahiguru; Wah, stands as an exclamation, as wonderful for that Aad Guru, so from that combination, the the word Wahiguru was formed.

Actually that Primal Supreme Being has no name as such in any language of any age.

Let us not mistake Nam with name. When the Guru Sahibans used the word Nam in their Bani, they reffered to the highest power, energy, or better said, the highest level of Consciousness, and this infinite energy, is not inert like the ones in our world like electricity, heat, etc .... but it is a type of energy which is super consciouss, is all wisdom, all gyan, self sufficient....it is the wonder of wonders,a s the Bani say: Sochay soch na hovaee.....think as much as you want, even then all your efforts will be in vain...

Wah wah Wahiguru.

Guru as stated above is the dispeller of the darkness of agyanta, of ignorance. At our level,It is an avastha also, of getting in comunion with the highest, Satnam, then that being is called Satguru, like for example our Guru Sahibans and the bhagats mentioned in the Guru Granth Sahib.

But that Guru is not any guru at our level, neither of the godly planes, nor incarnations nor prophets...none of these beings.

Wahiguru is another name also among so many, for the Lord Akal Purukh. Because, in the begining when there was nothing, nobody, even then, He created everything by His knowledge and power. In that way, Akal Purukh is also a Guru, He was the first Guru or we can say Aad Guru, means He has all the knowledge since the very begining.

And so when someone saw, all the majesty, all the grandeur, all the perfection of the creation, one just gets atonished and enters in a state of absolute wonder.

Just as we say: oh my God!

In a similar way, when we say Wahiguru; Wah, stands as an exclamation, as wonderful for that Aad Guru, so from that combination, the the word Wahiguru was formed.

Actually that Primal Supreme Being has no name as such in any language of any age.

Let us not mistake Nam with name. When the Guru Sahibans used the word Nam in their Bani, they reffered to the highest power, energy, or better said, the highest level of Consciousness, and this infinite energy, is not inert like the ones in our world like electricity, heat, etc .... but it is a type of energy which is super consciouss, is all wisdom, all gyan, self sufficient....it is the wonder of wonders,a s the Bani say: Sochay soch na hovaee.....think as much as you want, even then all your efforts will be in vain...

Wah wah Wahiguru.

Thank you for this.