Is Sikhi A Missionary Religion

harryss

Well said , Guptkuri ji. You stated correctly.

During our Gurus time people were indulging in falsehood in the name of religion.

Society was divided into different castes and salvation was sought by bribing religious

holy men.

Our Gurus taught to humanity simple way of realizing God.

ਆਤਮ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਾਮ ਮਹਿ ਆਤਮੁ ਚੀਨਸਿ ਗੁਰ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥

God is in the Soul, and the Soul is in God. This is realized through Reflecting (on the Teachings) of the Guru

Ang 1153, SGGS ji

ਸਗਲ ਧਰਮ ਮਹਿ ਊਤਮ ਧਰਮ ॥ ਕਰਮ ਕਰਤੂਤਿ ਕੈ ਊਪਰਿ ਕਰਮ ॥

Among all Dharma, the best is meditation (Naam-Simran)

Among all rituals and codes of conduct, this is above all.

ang 1182

That is your personal belief. I don't share it with you and believe that evidence seems to point at a contrary situation, especially as Sikhi became more and more revealed through successive mohalas. They may not have explicitly said 'leave your previous religion' but the implications of the parchaar meant exactly that.

There was an active drive to push the message of Sikhi and encourage people to adopt it. This endeavor, by both the Gurus and other appointed Sikhs (masands prior to their corruption), was very successful going by contemporary and near contemporary accounts.

Our Gurus did not ask anyone to join their group.We have their bani.If you think otherwise please show me the verse

where they said so.

People were attracted to them because of their philosophy.When the path is truthful people join on their own. Our Gurus demonstrated what they preached.Masands were there as managers between Gurughar and sikhs.

Guru Nanak

One who burns away hope and desire through the Word of the Shabad,

chants the Lord's Name, and inspires others to chant it as well.

Through the Guru, he finds the Path home, to the Mansion of the Lord's Presence. ||3||

This does not make Guru Ji a missionary, nor does it make Sikhi a missonary religion. Because once again we aren't asking anyone to convert.

In my opinion (I might be wrong and correct me If i am because i am still learning about sikhi), What Guru Ji is saying in this pankti is for Sikhs to burn away hope and desire with the word of shabad, chant the lord's name and inspire others to chant it too, meaning be good yourself and inspires others to be good too (read their religious text and understand, not blindly follow). A Sikh through the Guru finds his way back to Waheguru Ji. The people that we inspire find their way too, with what every religion they follow, if they follow it properly not blindly.

I think some people take it too literally that inspiring others to chant means to inspire them to become Sikhs. In my opinion (once again probably wrong) I believe it means to inspire them to become a good sikh, a good hindu, a good mulsim or whatever religion they are.

An example out of my own life is a hindu lady that attends the local Gurudwara Sahib here but is always discouraging me from following the Sikhi path (says I am too young), I always try not to get mad or in an argument with her. Instead I think of this pankti and encourage her to become a better hindu and study her religion more. Let her be happily immerased in her religion, and may Guru Granth Sahib Ji bless me to be a better Sikh. We don't both have to jaap the same name, we just have to do it with the same love and desire for Waheguru Ji.

The answer lies within Gurbani:

byd kqyb khhu mq JUTy JUTw jo n ibcwrY ]

baedh kathaeb kehahu math jhoot(h)ae jhoot(h)aa jo n bichaarai ||

Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

Ang 1350

srm suMniq sIlu rojw hohu muslmwxu ]

saram su(n)nath seel rojaa hohu musalamaan ||

Make modesty your circumcision, and good conduct your fast. In this way, you shall be a true Muslim.

Ang 140

ihMdU qurk duhUM mih eykY khY kbIr pukwrI ]3]7]29]

hi(n)dhoo thurak dhuhoo(n) mehi eaekai kehai kabeer pukaaree ||3||7||29||

The One Lord is within both Hindu and Muslim; Kabeer proclaims this out loud. ||3||7||29||

Ang 483

eyko Alhu pwrbRhm ]5]34]45]

eaeko alahu paarabreham ||5||34||45||

The Muslim God Allah and the Hindu God Paarbrahm are one and the same. ||5||34||45||

Ang 897

ihMdU qurk koaU rwPjI iemwm swPI mwns kI jwq sbY eykY pihcwnbo ]

hi(n)dhoo thurak kooo raafajee eimaam saafee maanas kee jaath sabai eaekai pehichaanabo ||

Some are Hindus and others are Muslims. someone is lliifazi (ashiah=renouncer-follower of Ali) and another an Imam-Shafi (Sunni=adherent of the Prophet) but ye recognize all human race as one.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji Sri Dasam Granth Page 47

Maharaj tries tells Hindu's and Muslims to be true to their religions. We are taught not to diffrentiate, then why would Sikhi be a missionary religion if we believe in all of human race as one. We don't say any religion is wrong, its their path, the only true religion is Naam.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

What about what the Dasam Granth says?

ਤਬ ਹਰਿ ਬਹੁਰ ਦਤ ਉਪਜਾਇਓ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਭੀ ਅਪਨਾ ਪੰਥੁ ਚਲਾਇਓ ॥

तब हरि बहुर दत उपजाइओ ॥ तिन भी अपना पंथु चलाइओ ॥

Then I created Dutt, who also started his own path.

ਕਰ ਮੋ ਨਖ ਸਿਰ ਜਟਾਂ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਆ ਕਛੁ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੀ ॥੨੩॥

कर मो नख सिर जटां सवारी ॥ प्रभ की क्रिआ कछु न बिचारी ॥२३॥

His followed have long nail in their hands and matted hair on their heads . They did not understand the ways of the Lord.23

ਪੁਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਗੋਰਖ ਕੌ ਉਪਰਾਜਾ ॥ ਸਿਖ ਕਰੇ ਤਿਨਹੂੰ ਬਡ ਰਾਜਾ ॥

पुनि हरि गोरख कौ उपराजा ॥ सिख करे तिनहूं बड राजा ॥

Then I ccreated Gorakh, who made great kings his disciples.

ਸ੍ਰਵਨ ਫਾਰਿ ਮੁਦ੍ਰਾ ਦੁਐ ਡਾਰੀ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਰੀਤਿ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੀ ॥੨੪॥

स्रवन फारि मुद्रा दुऐ डारी ॥ हरि की प्रीत रीति न बिचारी ॥२४॥

His disciples wear rings in their ears and do not know the love of the lord.24.

ਪੁਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਮਾਨੰਦ ਕੋ ਕਰਾ ॥ ਭੇਸ ਬੈਰਾਗੀ ਕੋ ਜਿਨਿ ਧਰਾ ॥

पुनि हरि रामानंद को करा ॥ भेस बैरागी को जिनि धरा ॥

Then I created Ramanand, who adopted the path of Bairagi.

ਕੰਠੀ ਕੰਠਿ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਡਾਰੀ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਆ ਨ ਕਛੂ ਬਿਚਾਰੀ ॥੨੫॥

कंठी कंठि काठ की डारी ॥ प्रभ की क्रिआ न कछू बिचारी ॥२५॥

Around his neck he wore necklace of wooden beads and did not comprehend the ways of the Lord.25.

ਜੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਪਰਮ ਪੁਰਖ ਉਪਜਾਏ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਤਿਨ ਅਪਨੇ ਰਾਹ ਚਲਾਏ ॥

जे प्रभु परम पुरख उपजाए ॥ तिन तिन अपने राह चलाए ॥

All the great Purushas created by me started their own paths.

ਮਹਾਦੀਨ ਤਬ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਉਪਰਾਜਾ ॥ ਅਰਬ ਦੇਸ ਕੋ ਕੀਨੋ ਰਾਜਾ ॥੨੬॥

महादीन तब प्रभ उपराजा ॥ अरब देस को कीनो राजा ॥२६॥

Then I created Muhammed, who was made the master of Arabia.26.

ਤਿਨ ਭੀ ਏਕ ਪੰਥ ਉਪਰਾਜਾ ॥ ਲਿੰਗ ਬਿਨਾ ਕੀਨੇ ਸਭ ਰਾਜਾ ॥

तिन भी एक पंथ उपराजा ॥ लिंग बिना कीने सभ राजा ॥

He started a religion and circumcised all the kings.

ਸਭ ਤੇ ਅਪਨਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਯੋ ॥ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਾਹੂੰ ਨ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਯੋ ॥੨੭॥

सभ ते अपना नामु जपायो ॥ सति नामु काहूं न द्रिड़ायो ॥२७॥

He caused all to utter his name and did not give True Name of the Lord with firmness to anyone.27.

ਸਭ ਅਪਨੀ ਅਪਨੀ ਉਰਝਾਨਾ ॥ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਕਾਹੂ ਨ ਪਛਾਨਾ ॥

सभ अपनी अपनी उरझाना ॥ पारब्रहम काहू न पछाना ॥

Everyone placed his own interest first and foremost and did not comprehend the Supreme Brahman.