Background Reading / Essential Scriptures

VanHelsingh

Sat Sri Akal to anyone who replies,

I've been browsing these forums for a few days now, and I've seen a lot mentioned about Sri Sarbloh Granth (apologies if spelt incorrectly) and a few other scriptures. For me this is something I've never heard of, despite being quite familiar with the Sri Dasam Granth (Bachitar Natak, etc).

I was wondering whether there's any online resources any of you kind people could point me towards, so that I can learn more about the various scriptures that a lot of you mention on here. Any links to any essential reading that could help in my understanding would also be valuable.

Also forgive my impertinence but I was under the illusion that we only adhered to the one Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Could anyone briefly explain how and why these various scriptures have come into being and why they are considered permissable by the Sikh community?

Again apologies for any unintentional offence caused. I'm here to learn.

we only have dhan guru ji granth as our guru. gurgaddi was given. we do not bow to any other scripture however!!

dhan sri dasam granth is said to be the "chorta granth" with guru granth if u look into thhe rehet name.. so (IF U WANT TO BE TECHNICAL) the dasam granth is to be shown the exact same respect as guru granth, but our guru is guru granth due to gurgaddi was given to guru granth, and not sri dasam granth.

and sri sarabloh granth..

i totally understand where you come from because when i first heard bout sarabloh granth i was thinking that how come no one has heard of this granth etc... so i started asking around to build a pic.. lots of ppl will tell u different things... and so will books.. most books say that this is not guru gobind singh jis works.

but! though there are discreppencies, i still believe that this is the works of guru gobind singh. i have my reasons..

most say, that the khalsa mehima i.e. khalsa mero roop hai khaas khalsa mero karo nivaas etcetc... has come from siri sarabloh granth.. the nishaane sikhi by guru gobind singh ji was (as i heard) taken from sarabloh granth and put at the end (or somewhere) in the steek of dasam granth. throughout history, regarding dasam grantth, ppl have forgotton the bania that existed... there are lots more bania of guru gobind singh ji that are not in dasam granth.. e.g. uggardunti paat is a P:10 bani, and only found in the patna sahib bir or dasam granth..

i do go on this web site alot.. iv been collecting all the scriptures and writtings of out religion as i can Re: granth n rehetnamas mainly..and bhai nand lal jis and gurdas jiz stuff.. bhai gurdaas ji wrote the 40 vaaars, and some kabits too btw which i didnt no of untill a few years ago.. so i do like to do sangat bout what other ppl think bout the writings of age...

lastly, the best way to learn about any scripture is to start with our guru, do the veechaar, so u have ur base, then go onto others Re: research..

there is alot of cross referencing that one can do.. so this is very good for understanding purposes.

i hope this has helped.! :happy:

gurfateh!

p.s. translations are just wrong.. so id say to you, do not look at translations.. esp for dasam granth! do vechaar within your own mun!

:lol:

thanks...fateh..