Hire Of A Gurdwara Hall Beadbi?

geo

hi all I visited a "gurdwara" recently and i wanted your opinions on the strange happenings there.

i was visiting the area so i didnt know this beforehand. the "gurdwara" was a local community hall owned by the local council. this was hired (for the sunday only) out to the local sikh association who held a langar there. i was informed that this had been going on approx once a month for about 4 years now. there was no nishan sahib.

the strange thing i also found out is that this town has a permanent gurdwara less than a mile away. i asked why the langar wasnt held there and the i was told that they dont get on with the people at the other gurwara. im not sure where guru ji is kept when the hall isnt being used as a gurdwara and no one seemed to be shocked that the community hall would be used for parties the night before. surely this shouldnt be allowed or is that the way things are going now? anyone else know of this setup elsewhere?

thanks for your views

hi all I visited a "gurdwara" recently and i wanted your opinions on the strange happenings there.

i was visiting the area so i didnt know this beforehand. the "gurdwara" was a local community hall owned by the local council. this was hired (for the sunday only) out to the local sikh association who held a langar there. i was informed that this had been going on approx once a month for about 4 years now. there was no nishan sahib.

the strange thing i also found out is that this town has a permanent gurdwara less than a mile away. i asked why the langar wasnt held there and the i was told that they dont get on with the people at the other gurwara. im not sure where guru ji is kept when the hall isnt being used as a gurdwara and no one seemed to be shocked that the community hall would be used for parties the night before. surely this shouldnt be allowed or is that the way things are going now? anyone else know of this setup elsewhere?

thanks for your views

Sounds similar to what was happening in Watford a few years ago. 2 groups fell out and one group decided to carry out a monthly diwan in a local community hall whilst the other ran the Guru Ghar.

At the end of the day, the Granthi Ji who does the sewa of Maharaj's Saroop should know better than to be taking Maharaj's pavitar saroop to the local community hall which will allow meat, sharab etc. There is a Hukumnama which forbides us Sikhs from doing this. What does the local Guru Ghar say on the issue? What about the other Guru Ghars in the surrounding areas?

The local community need to get together and resolve this. They should take the responsiblity of sorting this "fall out" out as they may understand the history behind the issue.

Are all the local Gurdwaras aware of the issue? I'm sure they can step in.

Sounds similar to what was happening in Watford a few years ago. 2 groups fell out and one group decided to carry out a monthly diwan in a local community hall whilst the other ran the Guru Ghar.

At the end of the day, the Granthi Ji who does the sewa of Maharaj's Saroop should know better than to be taking Maharaj's pavitar saroop to the local community hall which will allow meat, sharab etc. There is a Hukumnama which forbides us Sikhs from doing this. What does the local Guru Ghar say on the issue? What about the other Guru Ghars in the surrounding areas?

The local community need to get together and resolve this. They should take the responsiblity of sorting this "fall out" out as they may understand the history behind the issue.

Are all the local Gurdwaras aware of the issue? I'm sure they can step in.

as i am not from the area i dont really know the full story. i will try to find out some details. i am told there is only one local gurdwara in the same town which is quite recently opened, im not sure of their views on the matter. this is in ayrshire in scotland, the other gurdwaras are in glasgow and edinburgh. does anyone know more about this situation?

as i am not from the area i dont really know the full story. i will try to find out some details. i am told there is only one local gurdwara in the same town which is quite recently opened, im not sure of their views on the matter. this is in ayrshire in scotland, the other gurdwaras are in glasgow and edinburgh. does anyone know more about this situation?

The Scottish Singhs need to be made aware of the issue. There's a strong naujwaan Panthic group in Glasgow who really helped with the Edinburgh Gurdwara issue.

Please get in touch with them first. I'll PM you some email addresses.

Hi which town, gurdwara and community centre. Names please

the town is irvine in ayrshire, scotland

the community center is called woodlands community center irvine

the hall is too small for an indian wedding party but im told it is used for events and functions where alcohol and meat are served when the hall is not being hired by the sikh association.

Geo,

I think you will find in areas where there is not a large Sikh community this is how things start. Lets rewind to to 50's and 60's. Most large gurghars today have similar beginings. I live in southall for last 7 yrs, but my family including parents where born in leicester, both dad and mum in 50's Leicester. My grandad told me same thing happened also. Established was Guru Nanak Gurdwara, New walk. It's now moved like over 20 years back to the city centre and on the entrance to high street from there are two permanent Nishan shaibs on that entrance to city centre, opposite jewrey wall muesem / holiday inn and 3 mins walk away from the gurdwara on Holy Bones.

Any way the largest Gurdwara in Leicester which also has the largest sangat is Guru Tegh Bahadhur Gurdwara, it's beginings are also similar. Diwans being held in schools or community centres i.e. the weekly diwan was held at Bridge Road school in the late 60's. We all know what is included in scholl lunches.

SO if other gursikhs have a problem with sikhs holding diwans with there full respect, first look at the number of sikhs in the area and secondly how your local gurghar started. All that feel it is wrong to start like this and you have luxury of permanent gurdwara with 24/7 langar please start seva for a donation box so the sangat who have prem for guru ji can purchase a permanent premises.

yes i understand your reply, it makes sense but this town has a permanent gurdwara. the reason for holding the langar in the community hall seems to be that one group does not get along with the other group. hopefully the two groups can resolve their problems and come together in future.