Dilrupa And Guru Gobind Singh Ji

Gurukameet

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru ji Ka Fateh

Just a quick question, I have heard a musician from the a relatively big music academy in UK say that Guru Gobind Singh Ji created the Dilrupa, and I came across this site http://www.gurbanihealing.org/ where again it says that Guru Gobind Singh created the dilrupa.

However, I have read a number of books on the history of Guru Gobind Singh Ji life and battles, and no where does it say that he created the Dilrupa. If he did when and where did he do this?

I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this.

Please accept my apologies if I offend anyone, or if this topic has been covered before.

thank you in advance

Any references would be appreciated, as mentioned I have not come across details of when and where Guru Gobind Singh in Guru Gobind Singh Ji life he had time to create the dilrupa.

Another question, I understand that the Nihangs are devote followers of Guru Gobind Singh why then, have I not seen any Nihangs play the dilrupa. The only people who are competent to teach and play are the Namdharis, I was told that it was a order from Akal Takhat to for Sikhs to not associate with Namdharis!!!! If it was an instrument created by Guru Gobind Singh then why do we not see it played regularly, it is not that heavy and can be carried around easily.

Most of the people in India who play the dilrupa, sarangi are Hindus, if it is a Sikh Heritage then why do we know so little about it, and why has it not been mentioned in history given the prominence

of shabads to Sikhs.

Anyway, if he did create or commission the creation of the dilrupa that it is great news and if Sikhs want to believe in it is even greater as interest will grow in traditional raags, if adherence to proper pronunciation is key to unfolding the beauty of Gurbani then reciting in proper raag will reveal further treasures.

Anyway, the website on Gurbani Healing is a great website I would like to get the organisers of www.GuruNanakHealing.com in UK, and organise a 6 day camp of healing through Gurbani. Is there an interest, let me know so I can get the ball rolling.

Thank you

apologies if I have offended anyone, it is due to my limited knowledge, thanks

Any references would be appreciated, as mentioned I have not come across details of when and where Guru Gobind Singh in Guru Gobind Singh Ji life he had time to create the dilrupa.

Another question, I understand that the Nihangs are devote followers of Guru Gobind Singh why then, have I not seen any Nihangs play the dilrupa. The only people who are competent to teach and play are the Namdharis, I was told that it was a order from Akal Takhat to for Sikhs to not associate with Namdharis!!!! If it was an instrument created by Guru Gobind Singh then why do we not see it played regularly, it is not that heavy and can be carried around easily.

Most of the people in India who play the dilrupa, sarangi are Hindus, if it is a Sikh Heritage then why do we know so little about it, and why has it not been mentioned in history given the prominence

of shabads to Sikhs.

Anyway, if he did create or commission the creation of the dilrupa that it is great news and if Sikhs want to believe in it is even greater as interest will grow in traditional raags, if adherence to proper pronunciation is key to unfolding the beauty of Gurbani then reciting in proper raag will reveal further treasures.

Anyway, the website on Gurbani Healing is a great website I would like to get the organisers of www.GuruNanakHealing.com in UK, and organise a 6 day camp of healing through Gurbani. Is there an interest, let me know so I can get the ball rolling.

Thank you

apologies if I have offended anyone, it is due to my limited knowledge, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

These traditional instruments were very common yet they just phased out. But thanks to Gursikh they are making there way back. They weren't exclusive to Naamdhari's, Bhai Balbir Singh i'm pretty sure is from Buddha Dal and he used to play these instrument (i don't think he does now because it's harder to carry around,etc, when you get older). Also, Bhai Avtar Singh is of direct lineage of Keertaniye's from Harmandir Sahib and he has carried on the tradition of playing with the Taus.

I'm not knowledgable in the history so you can either ask RajAcademy(primary promoter of Tanti Saaj) and sign up to www.sikhmusic.com and there's plenty of people on there who can answer your q's.

post-3712-084508700 1295079296_thumb.jpg