Importance Of || In Gurbani

sall

WJKK WJKF

Thought I should share,for years I did paat without pause at the II , in Gurbani, and wondered too where is my patience and improvement in life. I can say hand on my heart that if one pauses for at II for at least 2 seconds before moving on to the next line, it will work wonders for you in life. The stopping at II is protocol of Gurbani and is an ang, we are to be in sehaj and reflect at what we are reading, the joy of this is brilliant. In a fast computerised world of today and brushing of gora culture upon us we don't have time, your mind will play the ultimate twisted trick as to "cum on hurry up", timings of Japji will go from the normal 7 minutes to about 25.The ultimate ras of Gurbani is the key and goal, and fruits will show on that very day on just how your day goes..care to try anyone, or am I on my todd??

Does the number represent which Guru Ji composed that particular quatrain or am I wrong?

You're right.

I was also thinking about the 7 minute Japji Sahib as well.

If the fellow below did bani, I imagine it would take them 7 minutes or less.

speedy-gonzales.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1267035094435

I find at this early stage, varying speed is beneficial. So I do have times when I go through at a relatively leisurely pace, especially with Rehras as one can chill a bit more in the evenings and other times I do use a more faster approach.

The fast approach to recital is useful to test one's state of memorisation. Also I do find that as one does bani more and more, and remembers more of it, the speed of recital naturally seems to increase. Personally I find this can sometimes compromise the level of semantic analysis that takes place compared to a more relaxed reading.

But then sometimes I focus on arth and sometimes my focus is more on the actual sounds rather than meaning.

I don't know if it is down to pure laziness but I find myself trying to concentrate more and more on the sound these days?

I find at this early stage, varying speed is beneficial. So I do have times when I go through at a relatively leisurely pace, especially with Rehras as one can chill a bit more in the evenings and other times I do use a more faster approach.

The fast approach to recital is useful to test one's state of memorisation. Also I do find that as one does bani more and more, and remembers more of it, the speed of recital naturally seems to increase. Personally I find this can sometimes compromise the level of semantic analysis that takes place compared to a more relaxed reading.

But then sometimes I focus on arth and sometimes my focus is more on the actual sounds rather than meaning.

I don't know if it is down to pure laziness but I find myself trying to concentrate more and more on the sound these days?

I totally agree. For some reason, I find when doing Rehraas Sahib I actually open my mouth a lot more (sounds weird), i.e. I really try to get the pronounciation of every 'tipee', 'adhik', etc., properly spot-on. It also seems to just flow so beautifully that you can't help but become almost lyrical when reciting Rehraas Sahib Ji.

Yes, your point about having more time during the evening is very pertinent, as well as some days one REALLY tries to thoroughly comprehend the meaning of Gurbani by dwelling on each Gurmukhi word that little bit longer.

When I first started doing paath, I knew there were a couple of pronounciations I wasn't doing correctly - they just didn't sound right to my ears. So I got a CD of Professor Satnam Singh and listened to his pronounciations, and thankfully I've began to improve quite quickly. Luckily I don't have that quirk of some Western youngsters who try to speak Panjabi / Gurmukhi and the harsh sounds of a word are softened into weird, amusing sounds. For example, a car is pronounced "gaddi" but sometimes the youngsters say "gadhi". :D

WGJKWGJKF

7 mins is quick.

To put this is perspective Baba Deep Singh did 101 Jap Ji Sahibs a day

@ 25 mins

25 * 101 / 60 = 42hrs

@7 Mins

7mins * 101 / 60 = 11.7 hrs

So Baba Deep Singh must be going at some to to 101 JapJi Sahibs per day ;)

Sant Jarnail Singh some said used loads as well.

Doing Japji Sahib quick in my opinion is not a problem as long as you take something from it.