Sign in to follow this  
GSMANN

Akali Nihang Turban On Dsiplay At The British Museum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it's unbelievably disrespectful.

"It is unclear how long this turban has been in the Museum’s collection, but it originally dates from the late 19th century and had come to London by the early 1900s. The turban displayed weapons, including two double-edged swords, six throwing discs, and one dagger, and a badge of the 45th Rattray’s Sikh Battalion, which eventually became the 3rd Battalion Sikh Regiment of the present-day Indian Army."

A Nihang Singh would have never handed over his Dastar, no Singh would have removed Dastar without unraveling it. Moreover, the Boonga would have been inter-twined with the kesh.

If it belongs to this era, and to the Nihang misle, then the Singh would have become shaheed at the hands of gora tyrants, and they kept his Dastar as a souvenir.

• Like 3

I think it's unbelievably disrespectful.

"It is unclear how long this turban has been in the Museum's collection, but it originally dates from the late 19th century and had come to London by the early 1900s. The turban displayed weapons, including two double-edged swords, six throwing discs, and one dagger, and a badge of the 45th Rattray's Sikh Battalion, which eventually became the 3rd Battalion Sikh Regiment of the present-day Indian Army."

A Nihang Singh would have never handed over his Dastar, no Singh would have removed Dastar without unraveling it. Moreover, the Boonga would have been inter-twined with the kesh.

If it belongs to this era, and to the Nihang misle, then the Singh would have become shaheed at the hands of gora tyrants, and they kept his Dastar as a souvenir.

Waheguru, you're right. According to puratan rehit you never remove a Dastar like a 'topi', instead you remove it lard from lard.

Veer ji, if you don't mind, i'm posting your comment cited with your name on SikhNugget...

• Like 1

Read the whole article and use your brain before having a hissy fit

"The cloth in the original turban is now so fragile that Museum experts have had to use new fabric to display the weapons and badge. Members of the Sikh community, working closely with the Museum’s experts, have reconstructed how it would have looked using traditional tying techniques and 37 metres of cloth."

Doesn't change anything. Original was still there.

Read the whole article and use your brain before having a hissy fit

Wjkk Wjkf Mr Brains,

The article suggests they had bought over the original dastar in early 1900's. That particular dastar had disintergrated, now they reconstructed it.

Would they have bought over an unraveled turban? which essentially would have been just cloth to them? and then 2nd guessed that was a Nihang singhs dastar? no.. They bought over a Nihang singhs dastar, which become to fragile and was reconstructed.

Any how, to me it the way its pedestaled looks very disrespectful.

They came into our homeland, killed our brothers, distorted our bani, looted us, split our homeland in 2, took our crown back and pedestaled it for the world to marvel at. Thats the way I see it, but each to their own eh?

This is the original one:

Nihang-2.jpg

• Like 2

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm afraid you have made a factual mistake. The wearer of this dastar could not have been killed by the "gora tyrants" as he was fighting for them within the Rattray Batallion, hence the Rattray badge which is a part of the dastar. How the dastar got here in one piece is unknown, but we can make educated guesses. Quite contrary to some of the sentiments posted here, the fact that it has been preserved as it originally was shows a great amount of respect in my humble opinion, not disrespect.

Many people across the World feel aggrieved that relics and artefacts from their history now sit within collections around the UK in particular, but those are the spoils that go to the victor... and the British Empire controlled a huge amount of the World, not just the Punjab, from which they took and importantly preserved numerous objects. I welcome such displays and exhibitions today that help to portray who we Sikhs are to the wider public. It is also important that these exhibitions go ahead so as to educate people about our history, including unfortunately so many Sikhs who do not know our own history.

I am responding here from a personal perspective in my capacity of running Naujawani.com, but if anyone would like to express any concerns about this exhibition further, I would be happy to field your calls in my capacity as Press Officer (voluntary) for the Sikh Education Council which is ONE of the Sikh community partners in bringing this exhibition to the public. You can find my contact details at the SEC website.

how come none of the modern day nihangs tie their dumallas like that? i think they luk way mre cooler and mre like the nihangs of guru gobind singh jis times and babaji di singhs, akali phoola singhs times etc. the dhumallas nw luk greatly modified compared to those beautys.

• Like 1

Just abit of advice please do a bit of research (not just google because anyone can make a webpage with their views), and get FACTS, before jumping to your own conclusions.

Also many youngsters on here one minute somethings cool, someone then tells them this or that contradictory then its like 'my bad' but then if someone tells them something contradicting the contradictory point its like OHHH! but I made a mistake because someone said this........, Benti to all please read up more than one source and come to your own conclusions.

I feel the museums in UK should have more Sikh related exhibits.

Just abit of advice please do a bit of research (not just google because anyone can make a webpage with their views), and get FACTS, before jumping to your own conclusions.

I feel the museums in UK should have more Sikh related exhibits.

Sikhs should go into museums, galleries and other institutions of learning because that is what we are: learners, students, absorbers of knowledge. If we do, these institutions might begin to showcase more of our heritage that is in their possession.

Sikhs should also take time to learn their history. And as you beautifully suggest gurdssingh, not just through google! :)

Please do not take offence, but do take the advice: open a book or two and read. It's amazing!

• Like 1

Quite intresting how this Akali-Nihang Dastaar ended up with a british army regiment badge on it... The vast majority of Akali Nihangs were fiercely anti-british and after the anglo-sikh wars were hunted down and shot by the British for refusing to down ther weapons, during the time weapons were banned in Punjab...a "shoot on sight" policy was adpoted against Akali-Nihangs.

They might have maybe stolen the Dastaar from a Nihang who became shaheed fighting against the British, I doubt the wearer was actually fighting for the british regiment,...

• Like 3

Quite intresting how this Akali-Nihang Dastaar ended up with a british army regiment badge on it... The vast majority of Akali Nihangs were fiercely anti-british and after the anglo-sikh wars were hunted down and shot by the British for refusing to down ther weapons, during the time weapons were banned in Punjab...

They might have maybe stolen the Dastaar from a Nihang who became shaheed fighting against the British, I doubt the wearer was actually fighting for the british regiment,...

Agreed.

• Like 1

I'm all for preserving and promoting our history culture etc.

But we must simultaneously highlight the bloodshed during this period. The atrocities the British carried out on the Panth.

We need to make one thing clear, yes these artifacts are now being promoted to bring awareness to our history.

But they were all stolen. Vast Wealth, Diamonds, Guru Maharaj's Kalgi, Purtan Saroops etc.. These our OURS..

Everyone has their own opinion about the Dastar. My opinion may not coincide with Sikhi principles, but of Punjabi pride. I see the dastar as our Izzat. And if someone had come into my house, taken my possessions, and then paraded my Dad's dastar for the world to gorp at, i'd find that insulting...

Like I said before, No Nihang Singh would have handed over his Dastar, or removed it without unraveling it. More likely Singh sahib was part of anti-brit misles last remaining of the Khalsa raaj battalions.

I find it funny that our people would believe what the goreh write, they not going to say "well this piece of turban comes from the early 1900's when we shot those annoying Sikhs in the forehead and stole their wealth, spices and artifacts".

Theres plenty of photos of Rattray Batallion regiment. They are in full uniform, uniformed turbans issued by the british. No Nihang Singhs who would have not worn that uniform anyway. In fact, the Rattray Batallion main purpose was to kill of the mutiny, i.e. the remaining Sikh misles of Shere-e-Panjab.

Can you honestly see a Nihang Singh part of that battalion to kill the remaining singh fauj?

The Gorah raaj was totally built on propaganda, lies, deceit, back-stabbing dividing and conquering.. Why would I believe what their article says about a Dastar, when I know the rehit the Nihang Singhs would have adhered to?

These museum events should portray a fair representation of that era. Including artifacts, historical accounts of British atrocities.

I for one would not encourage any Sikh youth to go to these events to look at items stole from us, unless they planning on stealing them back.

But each to their own. Everyone has their own valid opinions. And theres no need to get your egos busted over one persons comment. If you disagree then say so, without coming across all insulted.

Sikhs should go into museums, galleries and other institutions of learning because that is what we are: learners, students, absorbers of knowledge.

opposed to absorbers of propaganda?

If we do, these institutions might begin to showcase more of our heritage that is in their possession.

More heritage? meaning stolen goods, they should do a Crime watch special

Sikhs should also take time to learn their history. And as you beautifully suggest gurdssingh, not just through google! :)

why not? google is as fair representation of both sides as your going to get. unpublished work, articles in punjabi, peoples opinons, where else are you going to find all that in one place?

Please do not take offence, but do take the advice: open a book or two and read. It's amazing!

Really? your knowledge and ability to absorb an era in its entirety and deduce an unbiased neutral opinion is amazing. Whilst accounting for manipulation and distortion at the hands of dictators and inabilities of an enslaved nation to document their accounts efficiently because they were too busy getting killed is wonderful. Maybe hit more of those amazing books of yours?