People Calling Humans God

Punjabiboyz

I was reading one of the groups i have joined on facebook and surprised how some sikhs on that group amongst other indians, call Sachin Tendulak God. Well i follow cricket and believe in that sport, Sachin is a legend and has played very well. I just got into an arguement with those posting in that group as i told them that no human can be called God, esp someone who plays cricket. Fine respect him but you cant compare him or any other human to God.

I think this is the very big problem amongst most Indians. We give humans that respect such that many people take advantage of it. That is why we see many fake baba ji's out there who have made soo many followers.

Referring to sports-people as 'God' is more of a tongue-in-cheek sentiment, rather than a full blown belief that said person is the Almighty, lol.

Strictly speaking, I don't approve of it but people have their own ways of thinking and expressing themselves. Back when I was a kid, Southampton FC legend Matt Le Tissier was referred to as 'God' due to his almost supernatural skill with the ball. I don't think anyone actually believed he was God. Getting into petty squables with people who know no better just makes you appear like a religious lunatic who hasn't got a sense of humour.

I can't speak for God, but I'm guessing He isn't too bothered about it. :D

Lol, well thats true but i think its too much at times......ok in football we all friends call messi the God of football.....but when u see a pic of an indian sportsman, u will see people tagging themselves on the sportsman feet....and thats just too much....lol.....and then if the sports man messes up next game, his poster is burnt. lol

Well i dint argue much with them cas i also felt what will i get and i will sound abit idiotic.....well i think its just people become to emotional in sports at times.

Referring to sports-people as 'God' is more of a tongue-in-cheek sentiment, rather than a full blown belief that said person is the Almighty, lol.

Strictly speaking, I don't approve of it but people have their own ways of thinking and expressing themselves. Back when I was a kid, Southampton FC legend Matt Le Tissier was referred to as 'God' due to his almost supernatural skill with the ball. I don't think anyone actually believed he was God. Getting into petty squables with people who know no better just makes you appear like a religious lunatic who hasn't got a sense of humour.

I can't speak for God, but I'm guessing He isn't too bothered about it. :D

I agree with what you say apart from one point.

on le tissier, he was a decent player but compared to others in his age i.e. cantona etc. He was average.

Only saints fans called him maybe still today as there still sh!t, 'le god'. Also cant compare him to tendulkar hes a legend and not just for indians but all cricket fans.

@ gurdssingh - Yeah that's it. It was 'Le God' wasn't it? He was okay but I reckon the Southampton fans christened him 'Le God' more for a laugh, because he was a clearly talented player choosing to ply his trade for a small team. That was where the love for him originated. But sure there were other players who were a lot more accomplished than him. But this is hugely off-topic, so apologies.

@ Punjabiboyz - Well you know how Indians feel about cricket. Doesn't make it right but I suppose they have their reasons.