Lady Granthee

Punjabiboyz

Sikhism is the only, if not one of the few religions in which we have been thaught the importance of women and that man is not superior to women.

i was just wondering and wanted to know if in sikhi do we have lady granthee? It was a question i was heard but someone replied there are not any and not allowed to be granthee. I just wanted to ask why there are no lady granthee and is the a reason for this, becasue Guru ji have told us men and women are equal and our past showed us that mai bago fought for sikhs after the 40 sikhs had come back. So when i see sikhism, i see that Guru ji have told us that what man can do, a lady can do. So this question just came to my mind.

I hope the question doesnt hurt any one and i just wanted to know, maybe the is an answer to it which i dont know about.

If i hurt any 1 with the question, please forgive me.

You are right brother that sikhi doens't teach us to discriminate based on gender.. There is no maryada (law/code) which bar sikh women to become granthi sahib or preacher or keertania.. We as sikh should be proud of our rich dharam which gives equal respect to all humans.. Western world gave women right few decades ago but it was our guru sahibs who gave women full rights few 100 years ago.. Our guru sahib jees gave huge sikh dharam responsibilities to bibian to go out and preach..

Now.. coming back to the point.. you are right that it is extremely rare case to see bibi being granthi of gurughar.. Till this date, i haven't seen one.. However at the same time we do see kaurs doing akhand paat di sewa and other religious duties more than men do.. It maybe rare to see women holding official granthi position but we do know for the fact that they are more religious active than most of us....

You are right brother that sikhi doens't teach us to discriminate based on gender.. There is no maryada (law/code) which bar sikh women to become granthi sahib or preacher or keertania.. We as sikh should be proud of our rich dharam which gives equal respect to all humans.. Western world gave women right few decades ago but it was our guru sahibs who gave women full rights few 100 years ago.. Our guru sahib jees gave huge sikh dharam responsibilities to bibian to go out and preach..

Now.. coming back to the point.. you are right that it is extremely rare case to see bibi being granthi of gurughar.. Till this date, i haven't seen one.. However at the same time we do see kaurs doing akhand paat di sewa and other religious duties more than men do.. It maybe rare to see women holding official granthi position but we do know for the fact that they are more religious active than most of us....

Playing the devil's advocate maybe that's why most aren't granthis.

(Not saying anything about granthis)

OK

you have seens Bibia performing kirtan and there are many raagi jathey of bibia. You are not closely aware of job granthi singhs do there. They have a tough life and they do not get proper respect (sometimes due to their greedy nature). Their pay is low and they are supposed to go house to house and collect money for SANGRAAND every month. And usually have to face some people who do not want to give money every month but they do it and they say bad things to granthi singh. The image of granthi singhs in India is not respectful and they are a character of fun among ordinary people. They crack jokes on granthi singh and its not new thing. Granthi Singhs are sometimes called fat and also people say and think that all they eat is just Karah ( karah Parshaad )and do everything for money without any inner feeling of guru seva.

I must say that Granthi Singh job is a man job, If Mayi Bhago could fight in battle of course a lady could also perform this job but the thing is first of all Gurdwara Committees aren't looking for lady granthans. Why would any lady be interested in doing that? They choose doing kirtan which gets them higher respect and also the higher pay.

Punjabi culture and people cannot even imagine this happening and u are expecting to have lady granthi in India. I have not heard of this kind of news even in western countries because Gurdwara committees everywhere are typical punjabi people. Some white Sikh Bibia I think have done it because their culture is different from punjabi culture. Also punjabi ladies barely do any other jobs, majority of them are house wives. No lady would ever have thought of being a granthi.