What Do You All Make Of This

JSinghN

Look, the name things is bulls**t, I mean it isn't like girls with 'proper' Sikh names don't do this. Get some perspective folks!

Point to ponder: I honestly sometimes think that the experiences of failed marriages, and spousal abuse by the some of the 2nd generation here has made them much more open to their daughters marrying who they want. Plus people have just got slack in general.

Our community avoided all this previously through early marriages I think.

Control your anger and try to think rational ways to discourage this if it bothers you.

It horribly also brings home one of the weak points of the arranged marriage system in the diaspora, as people are in danger of marrying people whose background they know little about.

And if you disagree with any comment I've made, please feel free to post your own without getting personally upset with me.

You apostate! You traitor! You will burn in hell for your western opinions!!!

:D Seriously though, it can't hurt to have a Sikh name. Most young Sikh parents I know who name their kids - real life examples coming up - Keira, Yasmine, Jessica, Linda (what?), David, Logan, all admit they don't really care if anyone recognises their kids as Sikh or not. I know Sikh girls with Sikh names get up to nonsense - but by naming your kid with a dodgy name you're admitting "We're not proud of our background and heritage. It's not important."

:D Seriously though, it can't hurt to have a Sikh name. Most young Sikh parents I know who name their kids - real life examples coming up - Keira, Yasmine, Jessica, Linda (what?), David, Logan, all admit they don't really care if anyone recognises their kids as Sikh or not. I know Sikh girls with Sikh names get up to nonsense - but by naming your kid with a dodgy name you're admitting "We're not proud of our background and heritage. It's not important."

We are going off point but... (I'll try and keep it short)

If you check a lot of modern Sikh names, they have only become popular recently. Sikh names seem to go through phases. When I check my grandparents generations name there wasn't the plethora of names ending with 'inder', 'jit' etc. like now. Have a trawl through pre 'annexation' names for more examples of Sikh names that aren't common now. Point is, names will change, but yes we should value and be proud of Sikh names but to pin the issue in the OP as majorly influence by westernised naming trends is a proper red herring in my opinion. This trend itself is a symptom of deeper issues. It is THESE issues that we need to grasp and understand and deal with, instead of getting hung on individual symptoms. In future we may have to deal with hordes of western named people who we have to integrate back into the faith. My belief is that it is essential that the internal being of people of Sikh backgrounds need to be influenced first and foremost for change.

Anyway, lets not digress, I hope I've managed to convey at least some of what I mean...

There are some names just for sikhs but most are punjabi names . I.e you will find many hindu and some muslim panjabi with same names. Name does not define a person their actions do. In my family (before marriage and kids) only my mum and i have sikh / punjabi names my dads name is Sterlin, hes over 60 amritdhari but born in uk.

I'll say the following and not speak of this again: Even the 3HO Sikhs adopt Panjabi/Sikh-sounding first-names. They must obviously see some value in those kind of names else they'd just add 'Singh' or 'Kaur' to their "Christian" names after they shak Amrit.

But yes, actions do speak louder than names (:D) - it would be nice if there was a good combination of both.

i was wondering shud we really worry about so called sikh girls who arent really sikh and checkin on muslims.

I know what you're saying but like the original poster pointed out to me, we can't give up on them. If we did, I reckon there wouldn't be many Sikhs remaining in the world.

I'm not saying you're wrong but you know what I mean.

the young girls until they hit adulthood dont listen to anyone except until its too late! and thats the truth.....if u explain to a girl or sometimes boy that they are gettin used etc then they will just throw it in ur face until they get used and abused........