Longowal

singh1986

Just a topic to gain sangats views on Longowal.

I understand there is a a view that he surrended during operation blue star and most people call him a traitor. But from breifly looking at his views and judgement I beleive he was being politicially clever in getting the indian govt to make small concessions to eventually get more autnomy for sikhs... a path to Khalistan... I think it is really impractical of sikhs to think we are going to get Khalistan straight off... it has to be a gradual process and I do beleive Longowal was trying to acheive this with the accord with rajiv ghandi

Now Im not calling him a sant or anything because after all he did surrender BUT.... an astute politican?! that had he lived may have bought the necessary baby steps towards an independent state...

Also a 2nd related view... a relative from India recently stated to me that Badal inately supports a sikh homeland but loves his seat more... it would not be politically clever to declare yourself a khalistani as you wont get elected back in...

Opinions?!

Also a 2nd related view... a relative from India recently stated to me that Badal inately supports a sikh homeland but loves his seat more... it would not be politically clever to declare yourself a khalistani as you wont get elected back in...

If he can't speak openly in favor of Khalistan, he still can get anti-Sikh criminals arrested, right? Alas, time to time he has proven to be ANTI-Sikh by letting Sikhs get massacred during his tenure as CM of Punjab.

In 1978 he was in power. Nirankaris killed Sikhs on Vaisakhi, and police helped those Nirankaris. Badal did nothing.

Nowadays, whenever Sikhs protest peacefully, they are fired upon, while others such as Bhaiyya immigrants (from Haryana, UP and Bihar) and Adharmis destroy property worth of thousands of crores yet are not even fired upon.

Sacha Sauda events were stirred by him for political gains (Gurmit Ram Rahim was supporting Congress).

Has he done anything to stop Derewadis insulting Sikhi? Deredaars attacking Sikhs?

He is a sell-out.

Also a 2nd related view... a relative from India recently stated to me that Badal inately supports a sikh homeland

If this is true it's probably just because he sees himself as the 'king' of this Khalistan, like he is king of Panjab right now.

The Khalsa have to ask themselves how they allowed a snake like that to become the strongest ruler of our homeland.

Just a topic to gain sangats views on Longowal.

I understand there is a a view that he surrended during operation blue star and most people call him a traitor. But from breifly looking at his views and judgement I beleive he was being politicially clever in getting the indian govt to make small concessions to eventually get more autnomy for sikhs... a path to Khalistan... I think it is really impractical of sikhs to think we are going to get Khalistan straight off... it has to be a gradual process and I do beleive Longowal was trying to acheive this with the accord with rajiv ghandi

Now Im not calling him a sant or anything because after all he did surrender BUT.... an astute politican?! that had he lived may have bought the necessary baby steps towards an independent state...

Opinions?!

Just as there is an attempt by Nihangs to downplay the betrayal of Santa Singh in 1984, it seems there's an attempt now to make a gaddar like Longowal into an astute politician! Sometimes things can be black and white and it doesn't always have to be complicated.

Longowal wasn't really astute. Firstly he was a coward because he made a vow that the Indian army would have to step over his dead body if they attacked the Harmandir Sahib. He quickly and meekly surrendered whilst thousands of Sikhs both Kharkoos and pilgrims were martyred. Tohra also made the same pledge and surrendered. Secondly, he made a declaration that his party would stop the movement of foodgrains from Punjab to the rest of India. This gave Indira Gandhi the excuse to attack. There is likely to have been a deal done with Longowal and Indira Gandhi as Longowal was losing all his support base to Sant Bhindranwale.

After the attack he was released from jail and then made provocative statements to make himself appear to be in favour of Khalistan. All the while he was arranging secret meetings with the same government that has murdered tens of thousands of Sikhs all over India after Indira Gandhi's assassination. This was time when the Sikhs were united and he made sure that he would able to split the Sikhs into so-called moderates and extremists. He did this by signing the Punjab accord with Rajiv Gandhi for which he had no prior authorisation either from the Akali Dal or from the Sikh nation. In any case the majority of Sikhs at that time were with the United Akali Dal under Baba Joginder Singh (the father of Sant Bhindranwale). His Akali Dal party had been discredited so what right did he have to claim to represent the Sikhs? When he signed the Punjab accord he accepted a ladoo from the hands of Rajiv Gandhi, the same hand that had the blood of thousands of Sikhs on it.

Just as there is an attempt by Nihangs to downplay the betrayal of Santa Singh in 1984, it seems there's an attempt now to make a gaddar like Longowal into an astute politician! Sometimes things can be black and white and it doesn't always have to be complicated.

Longowal wasn't really astute. Firstly he was a coward because he made a vow that the Indian army would have to step over his dead body if they attacked the Harmandir Sahib. He quickly and meekly surrendered whilst thousands of Sikhs both Kharkoos and pilgrims were martyred. Tohra also made the same pledge and surrendered. Secondly, he made a declaration that his party would stop the movement of foodgrains from Punjab to the rest of India. This gave Indira Gandhi the excuse to attack. There is likely to have been a deal done with Longowal and Indira Gandhi as Longowal was losing all his support base to Sant Bhindranwale.

After the attack he was released from jail and then made provocative statements to make himself appear to be in favour of Khalistan. All the while he was arranging secret meetings with the same government that has murdered tens of thousands of Sikhs all over India after Indira Gandhi's assassination. This was time when the Sikhs were united and he made sure that he would able to split the Sikhs into so-called moderates and extremists. He did this by signing the Punjab accord with Rajiv Gandhi for which he had no prior authorisation either from the Akali Dal or from the Sikh nation. In any case the majority of Sikhs at that time were with the United Akali Dal under Baba Joginder Singh (the father of Sant Bhindranwale). His Akali Dal party had been discredited so what right did he have to claim to represent the Sikhs? When he signed the Punjab accord he accepted a ladoo from the hands of Rajiv Gandhi, the same hand that had the blood of thousands of Sikhs on it.

Can you please explien what you met by Nihangs downplay the betrayal of Baba Santa Singh in 1984.

I've heard and read all sorts of excuses as to why Santa Singh acted as a puppet of Indira Gandhi in 1984 by rebuilding the Akal Takht-;

1. The Panth was disunited and Indira would have started a bigger massacre if he hadn't stepped in

2. The Akalis had not taken the Nihangs into their confidence and hence Santa Singh was unaware of what the Akali plans were for the Panth.

3. On one pro-Nihang blog I have read that Santa Singh was threatened by Indira Gandhi in 1984 against holding a Mohalla in Dehli and he is supposed to have told her that the Nihang are also and army..blah blah blah yet a few months later he was her puppet!

This site doesn't even mention his gadari

http://www.nihangsingh.org/website/war-santa.html