why did raagis make their own tunes up?

sikhi

we all know thats there 31 raags written by guru ji. he said thats how he wanted us to sing bani.

why is it raagis made their own tunes up all of a sudden, and since when?

and of course, raagis used to say shabad with rabab or sitar or anything stringed, accompanied with the tabla.

so how and why did that change to vaajaa?

just curious

bhol chukke muaff

why because of the british? they didnt exactly create it now, did they? its been around before 17th century i'm sure. explain by what you mean because of the british, because...

a. i'm an <banned word filter activated>

b. im stupid

did they suggest to raagis to use the vaajaa?

please enlighten me ji!

thanks

Sorry I was waiting for other singh to write down some information, this is what he wrote.

THe Harmonium or the Vaaja was invented by the Germans, and was brought into India by the british.

No the Vaaja has not been around since 17th Centuary, Before Sikhs used Other clasiccal instruments such as the Rabab etc to play the Raags. Due tot he fact tha the Vaaja is a fairly easy instrument to play and learn it is the most common today. There was an article a few months ago with an ínterview with *Balbir Singh' ji who plays everything in Classical Raags, as he doens't want the 'Sikh music style' to die out.

As to the original question, How would you feel Kandola, if you were restricted to a total of 31 tunes, when there's a plethora of other tunes out there just waiting to be sung? A wise man once said that the sweetest tune is the one not yet heard.

One should take the time to learn these rags first, then you may after get into all da fancy dancy tunes popping up nowadays.

Learning those orginal raags, wouldnt it feel nice to know you are singing in the same raag, that Guru Nanak through Guru Gobind singh ji sang in!!! How blessed are we to sing that raag!!! :wub:

As to the original question, How would you feel Kandola, if you were restricted to a total of 31 tunes, when there's a plethora of other tunes out there just waiting to be sung? A wise man once said that the sweetest tune is the one not yet heard

hmm, well. i'd be singing bani, id be happy on that. bani is bani, no difference with what tune is being played, as long as your into it and its done with pyaar (no laughing on stage etc). but good point. as dasan das said, would it not be an honour to sing in the other raags guru ji sang in? but take point its nice to hear different tunes.

but the reason is, why did the singing of raags die out? (not as common as it was a few centuries back).

As to the original question, How would you feel Kandola, if you were restricted to a total of 31 tunes, when there's a plethora of other tunes out there just waiting to be sung? A wise man once said that the sweetest tune is the one not yet heard

hmm, well. i'd be singing bani, id be happy on that. bani is bani, no difference with what tune is being played, as long as your into it and its done with pyaar (no laughing on stage etc). but good point. as dasan das said, would it not be an honour to sing in the other raags guru ji sang in? but take point its nice to hear different tunes.

but the reason is, why did the singing of raags die out? (not as common as it was a few centuries back).

When lazy people like me begun to want to take the easy way to learn Kirtan.

But on another ntoe, I tihnk its mostly about doing it with PREM PYAAR :wub:

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Some keertani's do make up their own tunes but keep it in the same raag. Each raag has certain notes/keys that make up that raag. As long as the notes that are used/played are the ones that compose that raag then the shabad is still in that particular raag.

Although keertan should be done in the specified raag, doing some form of keertan as long as it's from the heart is better than doing nothing..After all, there are some poeple that just do raag kirtan for money..and I personally think that is worse than doing keertan that is not in raag.

Keertan Nirmolak Heera Anand Guni Gaheera!

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

jio, rag vidia is great, somfin da guru sahib wanted us all to learn an preach, an nowa days ,yes ragis r not play an singin in tunes dat seem like r not raag, but jioall da music dey play is in raag. a single raag has different set of keys on a waja, r sitar an soo on, da combination on da keys can be changed to a different tune if u want, a raag is determained by its keys not my da tune jio. if som1 has raag widiam dey can easyaly recognise dat evn da filmi tunes dat som raagis use r also in raag, cos evn dose singers hav had raag widia to start der singin carreers. its determainted by da set iof keys used not tune an taal, if som1 sings asa raag in iktal an other sings da same asa raag in keharva doesnt mean he is not singin in raag, jus da changin of taal an da rythm, tho now days evn most raagis don stay in da boundries of a raag, which muks it all up.

bhul chuk maaf jio

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!