Vegetarian Diet

Wales85

So I know the stance of this site, so I do not want this to turn into a debate. I am planning on taking up a vegetarian diet for a month, but I wanted to know what type of vegetarian you guys feel sikhi advicates, or that you feel is healthiest. Is it required to be vegan? Any good websites for someone getting started on this? I don't want to live off of dal biggrin.gif

Do you guys feel unhealhy or weak? Seems easy, especially with the vegan diets, to end up lacking some important nutrients.

No scriptural/theologic debates please, just asking for friendly advice from many of the vegetarians members of this site.

-W

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIcSuA2b_Wc

(the song is so catchy. strong.gif) I'm shaking my head like it's the 80s. no.gif lol

"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty."

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." ~Albert Einstein

Okay all that aside, i guess whether or not you want to eat dairy/milk products is up to you, do you feel the animal is being treated humanely? In Punjab a lot of people kept majh at home bt they were happy happy happy majh (buffajos) because you would feed them and take them to the chappard (pond).

I'm personally not a vegan, i'm a vegetarian because i feel I need vitamin b12 from milk and dairy products (and it tastes good lol ). I used to eat meat and find 0 difference in terms of feeling weak. It's not really that hard to keep up a vegetarian diet, the thing is once you start you just stick You can get vege burgers that taste amazing, i make them once every two weeks or so.

In terms of protein intake, a vegetarian diet shouldn't effect you if you want to gain muscle. The body can only take around 20 grams every two hours.

In my opinion, Sikhi would advocate a diet that is pro environment and extends compassion to all living things. This includes farming of animals, agricultural practices and the general environment.

you cant go wrong with home made smoothies brother. Invest in a cheapo tesco juicer/smoothie machine and juice away. There are a

load of recipies on the internet to keep you busy.

As for keepin healthy you can't go wrong with dhall and sabji, just don't cook it with ghee and lay off too much chilli.