Gap Between Engagement And Marriage

Guest Only Me

Guest Only Me

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I just wanted to ask the sangat's views on why some people say that the gap between engagement and marriage should be as short as possible?

What is wrong with a long engagement?

Also, is 8 years too much of an age gap for a potential couple?

Cheers.

Guest Still_a_paapi

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Bhenji/Bhaiji to be honest I just think its because then once a commitment has been made through an engagement the marriage should happen soon after so this commitment is not lost or forgotten.

And personally I think 8 years is quite a big age gap but who am I say to say it is or not lol also situation factors may apply

Hope that is of any use.

Gurfateh :)

Guest Guest

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

There are no hard and fast rules but

- chances of breaking-up are more in long engagement

- ideally the age gap between potential couple shouldn't be more than 3 to 5 years

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest Guest13

I just wanted to ask the sangat's views on why some people say that the gap between engagement and marriage should be as short as possible?

What is wrong with a long engagement?

Also, is 8 years too much of an age gap for a potential couple?

Cheers.

In my opinion, engagement time should be short but not necessarily rushed, I think more than a year is probably too long. Depending on how long the wait, how much interaction etc, a long wait can lead to minor problems/disagreements or it just become difficult for one or both of the people involved.

Regarding age gap, women are more mature then men so it tends to be that a woman is a few years younger than the man. Whether 8 years to too big a gap depends on the 2 individuals involved and what they think, their common interests, life goals, maturity, attitudes, outlooks etc. I know of quite a few people married with gaps of 5-6 years and no problems. Sure there are many out there with 8. If the couple and families are fine with it then I don't think it should be a problem.

Looking at the issue from another perspective, a long-ish engagement also allows people to reveal their true colours. Therefore if one of the engaged discover something sinister about their potential wife / husband, then better to back off before marriage than having to go through a messy divorce. That is if the crafty individual in question is clever enough to hide their true nature until after marriage.

But as general rule of thumb, I think a year or less of engagement time is fine. Don't ask me why though. :smile2:

Guest gupt

I feel that there is nothing wrong with having a 8 year gap as long as you are both on the same level and maturity level. I know of many couples with that age gap and some up to 9/10 and they are perfectly fine together