Chapter 2 Vairaag Shatak

IK ONKAR SATGUR PRASAD {With the blessings of the onecreator , realised through Guru}.

DOOJA ADAIYA ARAMBH {Commencing second chapter}.

"DOHRA"

"DUTIEH PASCHATAAT KE BHAKEHDASSAK SALOK.

JAKEH SRAVAN MANNAN TE NASHT HOHANGH MANN SHOKH."{1}.

In this second adaiya {chapter} the pashtaveh {regrets} ofthe mann {mind} are kathan {described}. The sravan {listening} and mannan{adopting} of which eradicates the shokh {depression/grief etc.} of the mann{mind}.{1}.

"KABITT"

"PADH KANDH SHIVJI KE NA ARADHEH HUMM NEEKA.

KARAN UDHAAR JI KE RAMNEEKEH CHEEN MAEH.

NAAK PAUR TAAKAN KE DHAAKAN MAEH PUNN DASCH.

TE PINN IKATTAR KASCH KEEN PAAGH HEEN MAEH.

UBHEH PEEN KUCHEE NAARI BHAARI ROOP GUNN VAARI.

SVAPNEH MAJAARI BHI ALINGHAN NA KEEN MAEH.

MAATA KO JOBHAN BANN TAAS NAAS HET JANN.

KEVAL KUHTAAR HOIY KOIY SUKH TEEHN MAEH."{2}.

Khandh=kaul phull=lotus flower. neekeh=sundar=beautiful.ramneekeh=sundar=beautiful. Naak=svarg=paradise. Paur=darvaaja=doorway.Taakan=takhteh=doors. Dhaakan=to open. Dasch=chattar=wise. Te bhi =they aswell.Ubheh= both. Peen = hard. Kuchi=breasted. Alinghan=to kiss/make love.Jobhan=youth. Taas= them. Het = for them. Kuhtaar hoiy =being an axe. Sukh teen= three pleasures , paradise , lust , etc.

1. There is much afsos {regret} that I have not done thearadhna {devotion} of the maha sundar {immensely beautiful} charan kamal {lotusfeet} of Shiv Ji , the likes of which give salvation to mankind.

2. I have not even gathered the punn karam {good deeds}which open the door of paradise , I am bhaagh heen {void of good fortune}.

3. The istri {female} of splendid physique and superiorbahaviour, I have not even in my wildest dreams engaged in consummation withher. {He refers to neglecting his own pretty wife and perpetually searching forother women to engage in lustful activities with}.

4. That is what my janam {birth} was for , the destructionof my Mother's beautiful youth. I have become a Kuhadha {axe} and destroyed thethree Sukh {pleasures} in life.

.........................................TO BE CONTINUED........................................

NRAJJ SHAND

"ADOKH BEDH BODH KO ADHAEN MAEH N KEEN HAIH.

N SEV MAAT TAAT KI MAJAAR CHITT DEEN HAIH.

DAYA N DEEN JANT PAEH KARI MANNA KY MAEH KABHI.

N NAYAIVANT DRAVYIA KI IKATTAR KEEN LAU ABHI."{3}.

Adokh= without pain. Bodh=gyan=knowledge. Adhyain=toread/learn. Deen jant = tormented people. Paeh =upon. Nayiavant= righteous.Dravyiah=material wealth. Lau abhi= up until now.

I have not read the Vedhas/Gyan {Divine knowledge}{religious scriptures} that are without torment i.e. peace invoking. Nor have Ifocused on doing the seva {voluntary service} of my parents. I have not done daya{compassion} on dukhi jeevs {tormented people}. Nor have I gathered therighteous wealth up to now.{3}.

......................To be continued.

NRAJJ SHAND

"VISAAL NEEL KANJ NAIN CHANCHELEH RIDEH PRIYA.

N KEEN SUPNEH PIH MAEH ALINGHANANG MAHAH TRIYA.

PARPINDH PAEH SALOBH KAAK YOH SAMAH GATHOH HAMEH.

VIKAAS MAAT AASKANJ NAAS KOKREE JAMEH."{4}.

Visaal=wide and large. Neel kanj=blue eyes. Pih=as well.Alinghganang=the indulgence in love/lust. Parpind= with someone other than ownspouse. Gattoh = have spent. Vikaas =blossomed/bliss. Karee=elephant. Jamaeh=have been born.

I have not engaged in love/lust with the blue eyed mesmerising love filled beautiful istri {female} even in my wildest dreams {He neglected his own wife and looked for lust elsewhere}. In the state of being lobhyaimaan {excessively attached/greedy} for praiee istri {female other than own spouse} I have wasted my valuable time like a crow i.e. searching filth{lust}. I have destroyed the beauty , youth , and nobility of my mother by being born like an elephant.{4}.

.............To be continued................

IK ONKAR SATGUR PRASAD {With the blessings of the onecreator , realised through Guru}.

DOOJA ADAIYA ARAMBH {Commencing second chapter}.

"DOHRA"

"DUTIEH PASCHATAAT KE BHAKEHDASSAK SALOK.

JAKEH SRAVAN MANNAN TE NASHT HOHANGH MANN SHOKH."{1}.

In this second adaiya {chapter} the pashtaveh {regrets} ofthe mann {mind} are kathan {described}. The sravan {listening} and mannan{adopting} of which eradicates the shokh {depression/grief etc.} of the mann{mind}.{1}.

"KABITT"

"PADH KANDH SHIVJI KE NA ARADHEH HUMM NEEKA.

KARAN UDHAAR JI KE RAMNEEKEH CHEEN MAEH.

NAAK PAUR TAAKAN KE DHAAKAN MAEH PUNN DASCH.

TE PINN IKATTAR KASCH KEEN PAAGH HEEN MAEH.

UBHEH PEEN KUCHEE NAARI BHAARI ROOP GUNN VAARI.

SVAPNEH MAJAARI BHI ALINGHAN NA KEEN MAEH.

MAATA KO JOBHAN BANN TAAS NAAS HET JANN.

KEVAL KUHTAAR HOIY KOIY SUKH TEEHN MAEH."{2}.

Khandh=kaul phull=lotus flower. neekeh=sundar=beautiful.ramneekeh=sundar=beautiful. Naak=svarg=paradise. Paur=darvaaja=doorway.Taakan=takhteh=doors. Dhaakan=to open. Dasch=chattar=wise. Te bhi =they aswell.Ubheh= both. Peen = hard. Kuchi=breasted. Alinghan=to kiss/make love.Jobhan=youth. Taas= them. Het = for them. Kuhtaar hoiy =being an axe. Sukh teen= three pleasures , paradise , lust , etc.

1. There is much afsos {regret} that I have not done thearadhna {devotion} of the maha sundar {immensely beautiful} charan kamal {lotusfeet} of Shiv Ji , the likes of which give salvation to mankind.

2. I have not even gathered the punn karam {good deeds}which open the door of paradise , I am bhaagh heen {void of good fortune}.

3. The istri {female} of splendid physique and superiorbahaviour, I have not even in my wildest dreams engaged in consummation withher. {He refers to neglecting his own pretty wife and perpetually searching forother women to engage in lustful activities with}.

4. That is what my janam {birth} was for , the destructionof my Mother's beautiful youth. I have become a Kuhadha {axe} and destroyed thethree Sukh {pleasures} in life.

"UBHEH PEEN KUCHEE NAARI BHAARI ROOP GUNN VAARI."

Are you translating this literally? Or just using a steek and translating the steek? You translated the line above to mean... "The istri {female} of splendid physique and superiorbahaviour, "

Kuchee Bhaari here means big breasted... I just like to do my translations more literal...

Also you wrote "{He refers to neglecting his own pretty wife and perpetually searching forother women to engage in lustful activities with}."

What makes you think he neglected his own wife? He was deeply in love with his wife, but his wife (as written in chapter 1) was having an affair on him. Also being a King do you not think he had the pleasure of "enjoying" many women with big breasts? I was taught when going through this granth that Bharthari Yogi is explaining that one should not regret anything in life, as that is the biggest Dukh in life. Also he shows his Nimrata by saying he has not done X, Y and Z etc.

but keep up the translating , its a beautiful granth, Dhan Bharthari Yogi

"UBHEH PEEN KUCHEE NAARI BHAARI ROOP GUNN VAARI."

Are you translating this literally? Or just using a steek and translating the steek? You translated the line above to mean... "The istri {female} of splendid physique and superiorbahaviour, "

Kuchee Bhaari here means big breasted... I just like to do my translations more literal...

Also you wrote "{He refers to neglecting his own pretty wife and perpetually searching forother women to engage in lustful activities with}."

What makes you think he neglected his own wife? He was deeply in love with his wife, but his wife (as written in chapter 1) was having an affair on him. Also being a King do you not think he had the pleasure of "enjoying" many women with big breasts? I was taught when going through this granth that Bharthari Yogi is explaining that one should not regret anything in life, as that is the biggest Dukh in life. Also he shows his Nimrata by saying he has not done X, Y and Z etc.

but keep up the translating , its a beautiful granth, Dhan Bharthari Yogi

Khalsa Ji

These English translations are based on "Vairaag Shatak Steek" by Pandit Naryan Singh Gyani.

The word for word literal translation for "UBHEH PEEN KUCHEE NAARI BHAARI ROOP GUNN VAARI." is , Istri {female} with kahtor {hard} mammeh {breasts} , maha sundar {utterly beautiful} , gunnah vaali {with good attributes}.

In the opening introduction to this Granth the author states that Rajah Bharthari had already been married four or five times before falling for Rani Pingla. It was Rani Pingla who broke his heart by cheating on him since he worshipped the ground she walked on. He scolded his own brother for accusing her of vibchaar {adultery}. Once he realised the truth he filled with nafarat {hatred} for Pingla and the world in general. When he renounced all worldly pleasures by living a hermits life in the jungle he wrote these salok in the form of afsos {regret/sadness} at the fact the he had become a slave to kaam {lust}. His untamed and unleashed kaam broke his heart.

Bharthari states that he had the firm breasted wife already {marriage number one} , so why did I seccumb to kaam and look for more women. His saloks are filled with afsos of how uncontrolled kaam transforms a persons life into narak {living hell}. He regrets not indulging in kaam with just one wife. He regrets falling victim to kaam and in particular the kaam in the form of Pingla.

All the saloks are based on this central/core theme of the Granth.

KABITT

"TAH JEEVAN KOH DHIKAAR JAUOO DUKH KO AGAAR.

MRITT BANDH PARVAAR KARR NITT JITT HAIH.

DEENA NAATH JANOH PARR UPKAAR KOH BAPAAR.

TAKOH TRISHKAAR JAH MAJJAR NITT THITH HAIH.

JAIKEH BHAAL BHIKEHIND DVAND TAAPDAAR BINDH.

KOH DHIAN JAMOH MANDH BHOOT NINDHA NITT HAIH.

ULL LOLL LOCHAN BISAAL KUCH TATT TRIYA.

TAKOH MELA BHI NA BHAYO YAHI VELA BHITT HAIH."{5}.

Aghaar=house/building. Triskaar=anaadar=disrespect.Bhaal=foreheads. Ind=chandrma=moon. Dvand=both. Tah=them. Padarbindh=pad+arbindh=charankamal=lotus feet. Ull=bhog=indulgence. Loll=chanchal=mesmerising. Bisaal=bigand wide. Kuch tatt = bust. Bitt=wasteful.

1. Dhrikaar {ultimate insult} to that jeevan {life} which isthe abode of dukh {torment}. Which is constantly defeated by mitr {friends} ,sanbandhya {relatives etc.} , and parivaar {family}.

2. The life that does the niradar {disrespect} of parupkaar{helping others} is worthy of dhrikaar {ultimate insult}.

3. In whose forehead there is the chandrma {moon} and both feetare akin to lotus flower {Shiv Ji} , the life that cannot meditate upon thatbut rather is spent in the sangat {company} of the immoral who engage in ninda {slander} is worthy ofdhrikaar {ultimate insult}.

4. The istri {female} with dark and mesmerising eyes andlarge bust could not be indulged.

Khalsa Ji

These English translations are based on "Vairaag Shatak Steek" by Pandit Naryan Singh Gyani.

The word for word literal translation for "UBHEH PEEN KUCHEE NAARI BHAARI ROOP GUNN VAARI." is , Istri {female} with kahtor {hard} mammeh {breasts} , maha sundar {utterly beautiful} , gunnah vaali {with good attributes}.

In the opening introduction to this Granth the author states that Rajah Bharthari had already been married four or five times before falling for Rani Pingla. It was Rani Pingla who broke his heart by cheating on him since he worshipped the ground she walked on. He scolded his own brother for accusing her of vibchaar {adultery}. Once he realised the truth he filled with nafarat {hatred} for Pingla and the world in general. When he renounced all worldly pleasures by living a hermits life in the jungle he wrote these salok in the form of afsos {regret/sadness} at the fact the he had become a slave to kaam {lust}. His untamed and unleashed kaam broke his heart.

Bharthari states that he had the firm breasted wife already {marriage number one} , so why did I seccumb to kaam and look for more women. His saloks are filled with afsos of how uncontrolled kaam transforms a persons life into narak {living hell}. He regrets not indulging in kaam with just one wife. He regrets falling victim to kaam and in particular the kaam in the form of Pingla.

All the saloks are based on this central/core theme of the Granth.

Does anyone got a picture of Pandit Narayan Singh Ji Gyani.

KABITT

"VAADI BRINDH KE DAMAN VAARI PYARI SANTAN KOH.

AISEE VIDHYA KE SALOK PAHTYO MAEH NA LOKH MAEH.

KHADHGO KE AGAR KARR KAREE KUMBH PEEHT NEEKOH.

PEEHT KE NA YASS NEEHT KEENOH SUR LOKH MAEH.

KAANTAH KE ADHAR MRIDH DALL VATT RASS NIDDH.

SOHN CHOOSEH UDHEH NAAK NAARI TINN KOH RASS LEENOH AHOH.

BRITHA YUBHA KHEENA JAISEH DEEP SOONOH OHK MAEH."{6}.

Vaadi=argumentative person. Brindh=bunch/group. Damman vaali= peace giving. Khadhgoh ke agar=swords. Karr=with. Karee=elephant. Kumbh=forehead. Peeht= solid. Peehtke=to grind into fine powder. Neeht=beautiful.Surlokh=svarg=paradise. Kaanta=istri=female. Adhar=lips. Mridhdalvatt=delicate/fragile. Rass niddh= Fountain of eternal nectar. Udheh = duringmoon light. Bidh=moon. Srishatt=roof covering/sheet used as a ceiling.Ahokh=without grief/depression. Naak=svarg=paradise. Naari=istri=female.Ahoh=sigh/regret. Yubha=youth. Sooneh ohk=empty house.

1. I have not read the vidhya saloks {Holy scriptures} whichgive peace of mind to argumentative people and the likes of which are loved bysants {saints}.

2. I have not gone into battle and attacked warriors sittingon elephants or piercing the foreheads of such animals in order to grind theminto fine dust.

3. I have not kissed the delicate/fragile lips of the womanwhich are akin to the sweet nectar , nor have I become freed from grief/tormentunder the veil/sheet of the moonlight under kaam {lust}.

4. I have not taken the rass {sweet nectar} of gyan{knowledge} , svarg {paradise} , or istri {female} , haih afsos!{sigh/regret/sadness} I have squandered my youth in futile just as the light ofthe lamp serves no purpose in an emptyhouse.{6}.

KABITT

"DEEP MAEH PATANGH PAREH JAREH NA PRA-TAAP JAANEH.

MEEN SOH AGYAN BHAKEH KUNDI MILEH MAAS KOH.

GAJJ GAJJI HET PAREH KHAAT KHAAT ANKAS KOH.

RAAGH MAEH KURANGH RAAG KAREH NIJJ NAAS KOH.

PANKAJ KEE GHANDH BEECH NEECH BHRINGH MEECH GHAEH.

ITYADH HAAS GANN MAHA MOH KOH PARTAAP LAAHA.

SUBHASUBH JAANOH PAE NA HAANOH BHOG AAS KOH."{7}.

Patang=moth. Pratap=intensity of fire. Meen=fish.Raaj=elephant. Gajji=female elephant. Khaat=pit/trench. {2} consumes.Ankass=hammer used to strike blows on the elephant's heads in order to controlthem. Kurangh=deer. Pankaj=lotus. Bhringh=bumble bee. Aghya=ignorant.Saas=praan=breathing/life force.

1. The moth burns when it falls on the naked flame as it doesnot realise the intensity of the fire , in the same way the ignorant fish attemptsto eat the meat on the hook but ends up getting caught since it does notrealise the ploy of the angler.

2. The elephant falls into the pit/trench that has been setup for it by using a fake female elephant , the result of which he endures themetal blows on his head. In the same way the deer is enticed by the sweetmelody produced by the hunter not knowing the cunning plan of the hunter.

3. The bee becomes enveloped in the flower owing to thesweet smell but does not realise that the flower is slowly closing in on himafter dawn , the result of which the ignorant bee loses his life.

4. Haih! {sigh} there is afsos {sadness} and laughter onmyself about the fact that I am fully aware of the intensity of maha moh{gargantuan attachment} and realise the difference between good and bad deedsbut alas I am not abandoning the desires of bhog {indulgences}.{7}.

DOHRA

"MOH MAHA TAMM ROOP KOH GAHEN MAHATAM AAHAIH.

MOHEH PURKH MAHATMA JAEH VIVEK RAVV NAHEH."{8}.

Mahatm aahiah=intense darkness. Mahatma= pratap=intensity.Gahen=extremely difficult. Ravv=suraj=sun.

The intensity of the metaphorical maha andhkaar {extreme darkness} of moh{attachment} is very deep.

Those who do not have the metaphorical sunlight in theirheart's sky , even mahatma pursh {spiritual people} have been affected.{8}.

SVAIYEH

"EH SHRUTT GYAN SUJANAN KE.

ABHIMAAN MADHADH VIKAAR NIVAREH.

KECHITT MOH SAMM NEECHAN KE CHITT.

MAUH VAHOH MAAN MADHADIKH DHAREH.

SOONH YATHA MATT SADHAN KOH ATT.

MOKH KOH SADHAN DOKH PRAHAREH.

SOH HAMM SE MADHANANTAR KOH ATT KAAM.

KOH KAARAN BAAMH SAMAREH."{9}.

Shrutt=Vedh. Nivareh=send far away. Ke chitt = many. Maan =hankaar=ego. Soonh=empty/void. Mahtt=house. Sadhan = Saint folk.Madhanantar=lustful folk. Bhaam=istri=female.

The gyan {knowledge} of the Vedh dispels ego andintoxication from the mind of wise people , but on some neech {low} people likeme it gyan {knowledge} has the adverse effect i.e become more egoistic andintoxicated with knowledge.

Just as a distant empty house in the jungle is a pleasantplace for saint folk {the solitary environment can assist in concentration tobring about liberation} , but for a kaami {lustful} person like me that house in the jungle can be the causeof kaam {lust} where I sit and perpetually contemplate istri {female}.{9}.