Wedding Reception

Guest GuptPerson

Actually most people would look at the art and appreciate the amount of effort that goes in to perform. But then you have people like you who simply shun everything that does not fit in their narrow domain of thinking.

Ah so much negativity! It was a pratial joke, yes bhangra can look great when performed well and usually looks better when people dance sober. However when the sharab kicks it one can't help but sit back and watch the monkeys dance(around hyperactively like they do on the discovery channel!)lol.

:p

Ah so much negativity! It was a pratial joke, yes bhangra can look great when performed well and usually looks better when people dance sober. However when the sharab kicks it one can't help but sit back and watch the monkeys dance(around hyperactively like they do on the discovery channel!)lol.

:p

If you were joking, I apologize. I couldn't tell it was a joke.

You are also assuming that everyone that does bhangra drinks...which is simply not true.

Apology accepted. :)

No I am not, assuming everyone drinks, if you read the words in bold carefully you'll see what I was saying:

yes bhangra can look great when performed well and usually looks better when people dance sober. However when the sharab kicks in one can't help but sit back and watch the monkeys dance(around hyperactively like they do on the discovery channel!)lol.

I was implying that bhangra usually looks good when people are sober, hence I must have seen people dance to bhangra sober, hence not everyone who does bhangra drinks.

I think it's nice that you're so passionately defending bhangra, I'm just dissing people who drink and do bhangra really although we're really noone to judge.

I agree you don't need to mingle with them but merely having them around you doesn't mean you're associating with them.

Associating means you're exchanging beliefs ect.. If someone has to go to a wedding reception and there aren't Sants there, you can still go so long as you keep your head and don't let anyone get to you. Just my opinion, may be wrong or right, who knows.

I agree you don't need to mingle with them but merely having them around you doesn't mean you're associating with them.

Associating means you're exchanging beliefs ect.. If someone has to go to a wedding reception and there aren't Sants there, you can still go so long as you keep your head and don't let anyone get to you. Just my opinion, may be wrong or right, who knows.

I get ya... however, exchanging beliefs can be done through actions too. So if ur not strong enough to keep aware of whats right, then one should refrain from putting themselves in situations which may lead to their downfall. Also the music going into your ears subconsciously corrupts the mind despite whether or not you are paying attention to the lyrics simply due to its negativity and impurity.

Bhangra isn't an art in my opinion, it's filled with trash lyrics, illiterate/backwards thinking and lustful vibes. (I'd actually say that the popular india media uses bhangra music to wipe out Sikhi from the youth in Punjab and hopefully around the world through "Punjabi" music) As a kid i grew up listening to bhangra music because i liked the beat and didn't understand a lot of it and I did do bhangra as a kid because I didn't really know any better. As i began to learn more and more Punjabi i realized how whack punjabi music was.

I came out of that and i know i would never go back into liking bhangra music in a million years. With that said, i do believe there is still some good punjabi music out there (mainly oldies) and bolian even though they have nothing to do with gurmat i wouldn't classify them as backwards.

Usually when i'm forced to go to a wedding or someone's birthday party by my parents i usually find it amusing how fake the whole thing is. I always think how it disassociates a person from reality. That's what alcohol and other lustful activities do, they disassociate you from reality and thus of course from Waheguru.

For a GurSikh, I think if someone simply observes what happens, i don't think it will corrupt the individual, but in turn reinforce how important living a GurSikh and Gurmat lifestyle is. I guess it depends on a person.

Easiest and maybe best bet would be not to go if you're not strong enough to keep your head.