Is There Sense Helping Others To Get On The "Right" Path

Guest kaur

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh guru pyaareo,

i want to share a problem with you: the most members of my family aren't in sikhi, expect my mummy ji and i. we both do paath and are veggies, and like to go to gurdwara. But none of my sisters, my brother and my father do paath, they don't even listen to kirtan, and they get so stressed when my mum and i plan to go to the gurdwara. It's so sad. I always think that i must do something about this. I feel like i have the responsibility to help my family to get close with sikhi. But it's so hard! I'm really afraid of my sisters, i hope they don't do anything wrong, have a relationship, alcohol etc.

I'm always thinking about this problem, in the uni, at work, before i go to sleep. It makes me so stressed!

Do you think that we can change others habits? Are we capable to do it, or is it just senseless?

To be honest, since i'm going to university (i have an apartment there), no one at home cares for my mummyji. I always helped her, and my sisters and brother don't even answer her when she calls one of them. I really don't know what to do.

Most of you will write, do ardaas, do paath, and have faith in Guruji. It's right, but how long should you keep it up?

I hope someone has good advises for me.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

I think you need to let the nature play it's role. Our own life is not in our control yet far away to put others life in correct path. The only way you can help is to set up an example of yourself as a strong practical Sikh (which btw is not Esay). It is our past karma that will shape up in this life.

In your condition, you should help those who seek your help (ex. your mom). You need to give up worries and trust waheguru jee to take care of all humans. Tera bhaana meeta laagay... All decisions of waheguru (dukh, sukh) is sweet to us.

You need to stop worrying about your siblings. Concentrate on your life, practice Sikh prayers daily for sarbat da bhalla. You came alone in this world and alone you will leave. Spiritual relationship is stronger and stay with your soul while all other relationships are temporary.

Help to put your siblings on right only thru sikhi by setting up urself as the role model. They say that chandan tree fragrance is strong and nice that even nearby non-fragrance trees start taking Chandon fragrance and they all start smelling nice. If we have one gursikh then all nearby living souls will get good character or things from him/her.

I think the message of S1ngh's post is avoid MOH (attachment).

This Shabad is by Guru Angad Dev Ji in Raag Raamkalee on Pannaa 955

slok mÚ 2 ]

salok ma 2 ||

Salok, Second Mehla:

nwnk icMqw miq krhu icMqw iqs hI hyie ]

naanak chi(n)thaa math karahu chi(n)thaa this hee haee ||

O Nanak, don't be anxious; the Lord will take care of you.

jl mih jMq aupwieAnu iqnw iB rojI dyie ]

jal mehi ja(n)th oupaaeian thinaa bh rojee dhaee ||

He created the creatures in water, and He gives them their nourishment.

EQY htu n cleI nw ko ikrs kryie ]

outhhai hatt n chalee naa ko kiras karaee ||

There are no stores open there, and no one farms there.

saudw mUil n hoveI nw ko ley n dyie ]

soudhaa mool n hovee naa ko leae n dhaee ||

No business is ever transacted there, and no one buys or sells.

jIAw kw Awhwru jIA Kwxw eyhu kryie ]

jeeaa kaa aahaar jeea khaanaa eaehu karaee ||

Animals eat other animals; this is what the Lord has given them as food.

ivic aupwey swierw iqnw iB swr kryie ]

vich oupaaeae saaeiraa thinaa bh saar karaee ||

He created them in the oceans, and He provides for them as well.

nwnk icMqw mq krhu icMqw iqs hI hyie ]1]

naanak chi(n)thaa math karahu chi(n)thaa this hee haee ||1||

O Nanak, don't be anxious; the Lord will take care of you. ||1||