Why Dont Sikh Celebrate Lohri? Or Do They?

BhaiSukhSingh

Im sure Guroo jees tells us about lohri in gurbani ? but i cant remember if they say its good or bad?

i no the whole concept about everyones equal and why should we celebrate the birth of a boy and not of a girl.

Do you as a gursikh celebrate lohri ? if yes why ? if not why ?

Can someone confirm a Shabad from Guroo Jee?

Lohri is culture, so it depends how traditional the individual is in order to celebrate it, how much satkaar the individual gives to traditions. A dharmik person normally gives satkaar.

Also if you want be modern, then why not celebrate Lohri for girls?

Guru deh sikh are not against traditions. However Mughal invaders might be against Lohri, but sikhs, why would they be against a tradition?

VaheGuru Jee,

Just want to share what my relatives in Panjab say/think about Lohri.

Many say that Lohri is just a time of the harvest season of crops like Barley and Wheat. Then some say they remember the legend of Dhulla Bhatti as he saved the Sikh and Hindu girls from being forcibly taken away by the Mughals at that time of the reign of Akbar. There are many Dharmik Geet based around this legend.

I'm not sure when and how Lohri started to be celebrated for the birth of a boy as traditionally Lohri was simply just a cultural festival in Panjab.

I know Amrith Dhaaree's celebrate the day after Lohri as Maaghi as well as Sangraand (Maagh) ... the Nihang Fauj have a Mela each year to commemorate the Shaheediya of the Chaalee Mukhteh in Muktsar.

Guest KopSingh

there is nothing wrong in celebrating lohri, ONLY if its celebrated for girls aswel, nowadays. To my understanding and preference, its to do with dhulla bhatti who was a great rajput mussalman who fought against mughals and got many hindu girls back and married them off with full hindu rites. So people would celebrate lohri as a day where people who had baby boys born would like to celebrate, because of the thought that their son would be a protector of many. But times have changed, and girls births should be celebrated too.

the recent crap around female foeticide is embarrasing, i remember lying in bed at night one time and thought of an idea to tackle this problem. every gurdwara should have cots/beds/manjas outside, whoever doesnt want a baby girl, rather than having them killed or throwing them in rivers, leave the babies in the cots, the baby will then be raised by the gurdwara sevadars/sangats donations and the baby will subsequently be raised as khalsa too! Just like shaheed udham singh whos mum and dad both died in his infancy, and he was raised by khalsa college institution! just a thought