Concentration During Paat

Guest Top notch singh

Guest Top notch singh

Fateh

Recently I have been getting up very early to do my paat/nitnem etc.

But I sometime find it hard too concentrate as my mind starts woundering all over the place.

I also become very fidgety and can't sit still.

I cannot read punjabi yet so listen in punjabi and read in english.

Anyone have any methodS / techniques of sorting these problems out?

Fateh

Good question. Some help please as I'm in the same boat, lol. Not with the fidgeting though. I'm good with sitting down. :cool2:

Not that the mind (mine at least) begins to think of unsavoury things, but just general stuff like "Oh I must remember to clean the house later on" or "It'll start getting lighter in the morning quite early in a few weeks", etc.

I find this is more of a problem when you begin to get comfortable doing whatever paat you're doing, because the Gurbani begins to be remembered by heart, and when you don't need to look at the written word then this issue begins to crop up.

it's prob that instead of doing paath, you should be learning what it teaches you and applying it in your everyday life it. Read Gurbani, understand what it wants you to do and do it- e.g it says attune yourself to naam on almost every page-silence the mind through attuning yourself to naam and applying the other tennents of gurbani.

Everytime you lose focus go back to the start of the pauri and start reading again. And if it still happens in the same pauri then go back again at the beginning of the pauri. Do this as many times as it takes you to keep focus throughout the whole paat. After you are done now contemplate over the paat. Maybe take three pauris from the beginning and contemplate over what Satguru is saying. Then next day do the same when you lose focus and now continue on contemplating from the next three pauris or where ever you stopped the last day.

It is a long process (depending on your commitment), but at the end you will notice you are a lot more calm throughout the day and are able to pick up on many subtle things in paat and in the world, which you did not notice or even existed before.

Everytime you lose focus go back to the start of the pauri and start reading again. And if it still happens in the same pauri then go back again at the beginning of the pauri. Do this as many times as it takes you to keep focus throughout the whole paat. After you are done now contemplate over the paat. Maybe take three pauris from the beginning and contemplate over what Satguru is saying. Then next day do the same when you lose focus and now continue on contemplating from the next three pauris or where ever you stopped the last day.

It is a long process (depending on your commitment), but at the end you will notice you are a lot more calm throughout the day and are able to pick up on many subtle things in paat and in the world, which you did not notice or even existed before.

That is exactly what I thought I should do, but I got worried in-case its a form of beadbi because I'm repeating the same line repeatedly when it has only been written once and meant to be repeated once.

Good, I'll do that. Thanks.

I hope the original poster is lurking around as well. Sorry for taking over the thread, brother! :biggrin2:

That is exactly what I thought I should do, but I got worried in-case its a form of beadbi because I'm repeating the same line repeatedly when it has only been written once and meant to be repeated once.

It's not beadbi if you finish the tuk you are on and then go back to the beginning of the pauri. Sorry should have been more clear on that part.

CAN I ASK IM VERY MUCH NEW TO THIS WHAT IS DEFINATION OF PAURI AND TUK PLEASE

This is a full pauri. When you see the number at the end of a line it is indicating the pauri is complete. After the number another pauri starts:

ਸੋਚੈ ਸੋਚਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਸੋਚੀ ਲਖ ਵਾਰ ॥

सोचै सोचि न होवई जे सोची लख वार ॥

Socẖai socẖ na hova▫ī je socẖī lakẖ vār.

By thinking, He cannot be reduced to thought, even by thinking hundreds of thousands of times.

ਚੁਪੈ ਚੁਪ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਲਾਇ ਰਹਾ ਲਿਵ ਤਾਰ ॥

चुपै चुप न होवई जे लाइ रहा लिव तार ॥

Cẖupai cẖup na hova▫ī je lā▫e rahā liv ṯār.

By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.

ਭੁਖਿਆ ਭੁਖ ਨ ਉਤਰੀ ਜੇ ਬੰਨਾ ਪੁਰੀਆ ਭਾਰ ॥

भुखिआ भुख न उतरी जे बंना पुरीआ भार ॥

Bẖukẖi▫ā bẖukẖ na uṯrī je bannā purī▫ā bẖār.

The hunger of the hungry is not appeased, even by piling up loads of worldly goods.

ਸਹਸ ਸਿਆਣਪਾ ਲਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਤ ਇਕ ਨ ਚਲੈ ਨਾਲਿ ॥

सहस सिआणपा लख होहि त इक न चलै नालि ॥

Sahas si▫āṇpā lakẖ hohi ṯa ik na cẖalai nāl.

Hundreds of thousands of clever tricks, but not even one of them will go along with you in the end.

ਕਿਵ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਕਿਵ ਕੂੜੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਪਾਲਿ ॥

किव सचिआरा होईऐ किव कूड़ै तुटै पालि ॥

Kiv sacẖi▫ārā ho▫ī▫ai kiv kūrhai ṯutai pāl.

So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?

<a class="dict" href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਹੁਕਮਿ">ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥

हुकमि रजाई चलणा नानक लिखिआ नालि ॥१॥

Hukam rajā▫ī cẖalṇā Nānak likẖi▫ā nāl. ||1||

O Nanak, it is written that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. ||1||

A tuk in the above pauri would be just one line, which is:

ਸੋਚੈ ਸੋਚਿ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਸੋਚੀ ਲਖ ਵਾਰ

सोचै सोचि न होवई जे सोची लख वार ॥

Socẖai socẖ na hova▫ī je socẖī lakẖ vār.

By thinking, He cannot be reduced to thought, even by thinking hundreds of thousands of times.

At the end of every tuk Satguru put those two straight lines.

If your reading the english translations, then it's best to read with the Gurmukhi above it. Here is a link that give you both, so you know when a tuk ends.

http://www.srigranth...gurbani.gurbani