The 'sikh' On Upstairs Downstairs : A Unique Opportunity ?

Would be nice if they'd got an actual Sikh to play the Sikh. I'm sure there's a Sikh actor out there desperate for a break-through. Instead they get the guy who played a Jihadi terrorist in Arnie's True Lies. :biggrin2: He is a good actor though.

As for the program itself, I can't say it'll be a groundbreaking piece of television as it should be if they were really bothered about quality. Its a desperate attempt on the part of the BBC to steal some of the limelight from ITV's runaway hit 'Downton Abbey' (which is as equally dumbed-down and "soapy" as its imitator). I find most of what the BBC produces from a televisual perspective to be mostly mediocre and obvious, with distinctly average productions hyped beyond belief. Their radio output isn't half bad but not what it use to be even as recently as a decade or so ago.

But I agree with your 'catalyst' comment WLS --- Something is better than nothing, lol!

Would be nice if they'd got an actual Sikh to play the Sikh. I'm sure there's a Sikh actor out there desperate for a break-through. Instead they get the guy who played a Jihadi terrorist in Arnie's True Lies. :biggrin2: He is a good actor though.

As for the program itself, I can't say it'll be a groundbreaking piece of television as it should be if they were really bothered about quality. Its a desperate attempt on the part of the BBC to steal some of the limelight from ITV's runaway hit 'Downton Abbey' (which is as equally dumbed-down and "soapy" as its imitator). I find most of what the BBC produces from a televisual perspective to be mostly mediocre and obvious, with distinctly average productions hyped beyond belief. Their radio output isn't half bad but not what it use to be even as recently as a decade or so ago.

But I agree with your 'catalyst' comment WLS --- Something is better than nothing, lol!

I take your point Kaljugi but...judging from what i've been reading from Americans in particular (and I think we can all take it as a given that the middle america I'm talking about is the middle class stay at home mum....romancing about british period dramas whilst husband's at work) ...the BBC have deliberately made the Sikh character of Mr Amanjit to be one of outstanding moral and physical qualities.i.e tall, upright and proud, honourable and strong. Its really been quite interesting to read how the perfect image of a man has been articulated via the image of a sikh....which in turn has made him the favourite character in the show for female fans.

Would be nice if they'd got an actual Sikh to play the Sikh. I'm sure there's a Sikh actor out there desperate for a break-through. Instead they get the guy who played a Jihadi terrorist in Arnie's True Lies. He is a good actor though.

The geezer has been around for years and was a big heart throb once upon a time - then I think the work declined........

I haven't seen upstairs/downstairs, but I saw Art Malik also play a SIkh guy in that recent Werewolf film with Antony Hopkins and that Latin guy whose name I can never remember/pronounce!

I take your point Kaljugi but...judging from what i've been reading from Americans in particular (and I think we can all take it as a given that the middle america I'm talking about is the middle class stay at home mum....romancing about british period dramas whilst husband's at work) ...the BBC have deliberately made the Sikh character of Mr Amanjit to be one of outstanding moral and physical qualities.i.e tall, upright and proud, honourable and strong. Its really been quite interesting to read how the perfect image of a man has been articulated via the image of a sikh....which in turn has made him the favourite character in the show for female fans.

That IS interesting. Not the kind of thing you'd expect from a western production, i.e. the "perfect" man is always an English lord or Earl and rarely - or never - someone from the colonies in these types of period productions.