Hunting / Shikaar

Singh559

Lately I was thinking about the subject of hunting and how Guru Gobind Singh ji instructed Sikhs to take on military training, horse riding, knowledge of weapons and hunting. Simple question is are Sikhs allowed to hunt now (obviously for the right reasons)?

How many of us can say if we were stuck in a jungle with nothing more than our clothes, a kirpan and a spear we could survive if a tiger or lion attacked us. Would like to have a well mannered and Gurmat discussion on this to see what peoples views are on hunting.

Guruji hunted because he could give the souls of the animals mukhti and release them. We don't have that power, so unless we are starving and dying, no hunting

It's said that Guru Sahib instructed Sikhs to hunt to prepare for actual yudh and learn ghor sawari. How did Sikhs train in old days to face the huge armies of the Mughals?

Also, didn't Guru Sahib hunt with the pahari rajas and Guru Hargobind Sahib with Jahangir? How will a Sikh who is starving to death hunt in a jungle if he has no knowledge of actual hunting in the first place? Surely there won't be time to practice while starving to death.

It's said that Guru Sahib instructed Sikhs to hunt to prepare for actual yudh and learn ghor sawari. How did Sikhs train in old days to face the huge armies of the Mughals?

Also, didn't Guru Sahib hunt with the pahari rajas and Guru Hargobind Sahib with Jahangir? How will a Sikh who is starving to death hunt in a jungle if he has no knowledge of actual hunting in the first place? Surely there won't be time to practice while starving to death.

Some say we can go hunting and some say it is wrong. We can go for target practice without killing an animal. So if you want to get some defense skills. Go for target practice. But it is understandable where you are coming from. To kill a moving prey with even a gun is a hard task to the unskilled person. Best thing is to start with the target practice to master your shot. We live in a day and age where we have high tech guns which can be used at a very far range and daggers are used at close range.

Before we even think about hunting, we should think about what it means to take a life. We are not Jains, but neither are we savages. So find the fine line and walk on it.

#2singher23

Guruji hunted because he could give the souls of the animals mukhti and release them. We don't have that power, so unless we are starving and dying, no hunting

Where is the source of your information? I am in no way doubting mahrajs ability to liberate the souls of the animals, but what is your source of evidence that proves Guru Ji only hunted for this purpose??!! This is what happens when people make up their own stories rather then reading historical granths or rehatnameh!!!

Listen to the above katha, it's only a few minutes long. The source of the katha is 'pracchin panth prakask

In relation to my above post I know there will be some who will find it hard to stomach what is being said in that katha and will no doubt knock the credentials of author of the pracchin panth Prakash Granth, Rattan Singh Bhangu. Rattan Singh Bhangu was the grandson of Mehtab Singh, the same Mehtab Singh who along with Sukha Singh cut off the head of mahadusht Massa rangar! I'm sure the doubters and those made of weak stock will still doubt and do nindiya never the less.

As for our sixth master Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji you need look no further then Bhai Gurdass ji vaars ( vaars which Guru Arjan dev ji described as the 'keys' to understanding adh bani).

'Earlier Gurus remained seated and taught others to be content, this Guru keeps dogs and goes hunting.' (Vaar 26, Pauri 24)

Read the rest of the vaar, Bhai Gurdass ji writes that many amongst the sangat doubted Guru sahib as being the 6th Nanak because they spent all their time with the Akali fauj, never settled in one place, went hunting and kept a fauj with them at all times! Seems like those same doubters are born here again today!

Giani Gian Singh describes the Gurus hunting trips;

'Around midday the Guru would again bathe, dress in new clothes and adorn themselves with various weapons and armoury. They would take a hawk in their hand, gather their soldiers together and set off. They would hunt various animals, race their horses and perform many other such deeds. They would often stay for a few days and then return to meet the congregation. When the Guru was not hunting they would have their warriors wrestle and indulge in other such martial activities.' (Tvarikh Guru Khalsa, Part 1, page 441)

Akaal

Veerji, I am not educated enough on this topic to give you a proper response to that. Perhaps a Sikh better than me can give a response.

Meat is forbidden, but maybe what he is saying is that we should hunt ONLY for practice, ten distribute the food to the poor. However, nihang singhs eat meat so he has a biased view. I don't know enough on this to respond to you properly

Veerji, I am not educated enough on this topic to give you a proper response to that. Perhaps a Sikh better than me can give a response.

Meat is forbidden, but maybe what he is saying is that we should hunt ONLY for practice, ten distribute the food to the poor. However, nihang singhs eat meat so he has a biased view. I don't know enough on this to respond to you properly

Those who are not educated enough or do not have genuine knowledge should not make public statements based on their own views which may then hinder the learning of someone attempting to learn as the original poster is.

Yes Baba ji is a Nihang but how can his views be 'biased' when all he is doing is reading from a historical Granth written by mehtab singhs grandson Rattan Singh Bhangu???!!

I won't be posting again. To the original poster I suggest you try and read historical sources rather then wasteing your time on here. Pracchin panth Prakash Granth is good source of info on 'actual' history and practices of Khalsa and not made up bull you hear from lovey dovey soft gutless preachers. Suraj Prakash is excellent to. Read rehitnameh but above all read Gurbani then decide for yourself, happy learning brother, Akaal