~ Vaishaki Nagar Kirtan Around The Corner, How To Beat Negative Media Coverage~

N30S1NGH

All know, vaishakhi nagar kirtans in Canada is around the corner..we have been soft target for media each and every vaishakhi nagar kirtan during last 4 years or so...does organizers of nagar kirtans have different ideas to tackle "media" guerrilla war journalism?.

- Each and every vaishaki thousands of thousands of people (sikh, non sikh alike) get fed/free food (no question asked), thats ingrained in our sikh tradition. We saw everyone piratically.

- We share our saint/soldier chivalry with non sikhs.

- We pridely put our traditions infront of thousands of thousands canadians

- We are considerate, pick up all the left over garbage behind and clean the streets.

- We follow all the city by laws.

I beleive sikh does not deserve to get targeted by negative media coverage if you look at whole program of vaishakhi nagar kirtan. Last year both in bc and toronto, all the floats were approved by RCMP themselves, still we got targeted by negative coverage.

I believe there is only one solution to all these problem, we need public relations department or organization/jatha abroad assigned by "sri akaal takth" (vatican)themselves.

SGPC have huge annual revenue, they need to have huge media influence in india and abroad.

Anyone have more ideas?

If we take back the SGPC from mahangs and give it back to the Khalsa Panth we can combat such issues. The amount of money that these members are making is through the roofs. It's all laalach.

Good thought, maybe sangat should organize meetings at local Gurudwaras and get youth and elders to discuss this issue.

I always wonder with huge revenue of SGPC, how come there are soo many organization structural problems in punjab and abroad and lack of funding of such programs? Even if they are eating money, don't they get tired poke out once and while ?

This must be so disheartening for Canadian Sikhs. To have a festival beloved for Sikhs targetted by the national media of a foreign country as an opportunity for cheap point-scoring is really a poor show.

I guess some might say the actions of some sections of the Canadian Sikh community contribute to this negative coverage but I still find this kind of insidious journalism to be quite disturbing. You might say it's almost like the way some parts of the Islamic community is always negatively portrayed by the English media.

If we take back the SGPC from mahangs and give it back to the Khalsa Panth we can combat such issues. The amount of money that these members are making is through the roofs. It's all laalach.

Good thought, maybe sangat should organize meetings at local Gurudwaras and get youth and elders to discuss this issue.

good point.

Very deep seated problems. When dissecting anyone in power there is a complex web of power stretching through everyone in positions. SGPC and Badal/CM of punjab are intrinsically linked, and like it or not that stretches to Akal Takht via Jathedar placed by SGPC. Badal linked via anyone who is anyone wanting to do any project in india needs to give bribes which eventually filter to the top and into nationwide government.

I guess what I mean is, it may not be as easy as replacing a single person or organisation like the SGPC with new members.