Linux

ms514

what do you guys think?

Ive forgotten most of what I know about linux. I used slackware a long time ago to run servers and its simplicity was really nice. I really liked it.

I used redhat recently, it has a lot of features, but for some reason, I just dont like it and it doesnt give me the same happy thoughts i got when using an old version of slackware a few years ago.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Sri Akal:

Well, dependes on what you want...do you want easy to install and use, fast and optimized performance, compile your own, massive amounts of packages, minimal amount of installation size (some fit those USB pen drives), AMD 64 bit OS,? Also, how simple of an installation do you want...do you want the installer of the distribution to do everything, or do you want to do everything (usually leads to a more optimized system)?

Not that I am an expert on the issue... :wub: ...but I have had a chance to try out some Linux distributions recently.

Tell what you want and you will get an according recommendation.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

redhat fedora core 2 has gottten great reviews and has cool layout, blue curve

then theres mandrake 10 i think or 9 which is good and then suse personal editions

a few others are lindows, xandros, and slackware

suse doesnt have dvd support but i htink its pretty cool... im gonna install redhat or suse in a few days...

Sat Sri Akal:

Well, I guess I might as well throw some of my impressions on the distributions I have tried:

Xandros - quite Windows user friendly. The company makes some effort to make the OS look and act like Windows. Still using the 2.4.x series kernel (guessing because the drivers and stability of it are mature. The 2.6.8 is the newest one me thinks). Only comes with KDE (not even sure whether you can add any others like GNOME or whatever). Get this ONLY if you have no experience with Linux (which MKhalsa Ji does have). Also, the free version is only available by Bittorrent and has the CD burning speed limited to 4x. Does come with nVidia 3D drivers. Lastly, its updating system is relatively simple, but I believe it is based on Debian Sarge, so you could probably get away with using those packages. Might play DVDs.

SuSE 9.1 - very nice distribution. Clean, professional, 2.6.x kernel. The free Personal edition is one CD, and if you are not looking to use it on a server or do programming or something relatively advanced (aka. use just as a Desktop) it is good. Note that SuSE does not come with nVidia 3D supported drivers or DVD capability (though there are supposedly posts on the internet that tell you what to download to get DVDs to run and the nVidia is VERy easy to install with the SuSE software Yast, which is the installer, package manager and "Control Panel" - it is a very good!!!). Definitely worth an evaluation. The Professional is packed with all the software you could ever need, but costs 90 bucks (pay for linux??? no.gif ). The Personal only comes with KDE and some other lite window managers, but no GNOME (and it is a pain to get GNOME working on the Personal edition). The Professional has GNOME, KDE and many more.

Mandrake 10 - also a very nice distribution. Has everything that SuSE 9.1 Professional does, but can be downloaded free (though the download version is missing some things - aka. nVidia 3D drivers - that have to be downloaded). It seems to be more snappy at performance and take up less resources. If you want an all-in-one for free, go for Mandrake (the 10.1 will be released soon...probably worth waiting for it to get everything that is already updated for you). Using the 2.6.x kernel.

Fedora Core 2 - a good distribution, especially if you are a fan of GNOME (though KDE support is good too). Also a snappy performer with a huge amount of packages and a strong community. If you need any information on anything related to Fedora Core 2, it will be on the internet, along with the most recent packages for every software. Pretty good with resources and runs quite snappy (comprable to Mandrake) and also utilizing the 2.6.x kernel. Again, no nVidia drivers (yes, I happen to have an nVidia 3D card in my computer. Just for comparison with Windows XP, I beat my compter with Unreal Tournament 2004 to see performance differences). Also the first (?) major distribution (or so I think) to be using the X.org instead of XFree86 (a split because of licensing language issues. Most distributions will probably switch to X.org, as their licensing policy is not restrictive as XFree86). Very skimpy on anything to do with multimedia (no DVD support).

Knoppix - King of the Live CDs. Pop the CD in and it runs straight off the CD. There s supposed to be a way to install this to the hard drive, but the authors of those instructions make no guarantees. Definitely worth it to try out Linux risk-free, as it does not touch the hard drives. The newest version 3.6 just c

ame out.

Yoper - my current Linux distribution. Frankly, I got a bit tired of sitting there picking out packages that I did not need during the install and the 5 CD distributions. So I got word of this distribution and, considering it was one CD, gave it a whack. They claim it is the fastest distribution (though I am sure there are some others that are faster). This does NOT apply to boot time, which is about the same as the others. Where it is fast is after the boot is done. Applications pop up quite fast after being exceuted and the OS runs smooth and fast. It is based on Slackware (a good foundation) and I like it because it comes with everything you need. HOWEVER, the installer is barebones. You HAVE to know how to partition your drives before you start, as the installer will not do it for you (the reason it took me 4 tries to get the thing installed on my computer). Then, it is relatively painless (except for telling it to put the bootloader somewhere...do this wrong and you will be doing a rescue from that same CD). If you can get this OS installed without throwing your computer out the window, it will be satisfying to use. Definitely a bleeding edge distribution, which tries to have every package be the newest (can be good and bad). Comes with nVidia drivers and DVD software. If you need a distribution that is fast, snappy, has everything for a desktop user (not server...need to download all that) and optimized for the 686 CPUs (Pentium II upwards...the other distributions run i386 based kernels and packages, which are more backward compatible), I would recommend this one. DEFINITELY worth at least a try. It also has the ability to use the commands from other distributions to get packages (apt, slapt, rpms, tar etc.) and use their packages.

Well, now that I have put everyone to sleep, my work is done. There will be a 20 question quiz at the end of the day. Those who fail it will have to read this post over 20 times ( :wub: ).

P.S. There is another Sackware-based distribution called Vector Linux. The new version of it will be coming out in early September sometime. Though I have not tried it, it has been reviewed as being quite fast and puts a more friendly installer to the Slackware distribution. Well worth an evaluation once the new version comes out if you want to stick with the Slackware lineage. If you are in more of a hurry, try out the Vector Linux 4.0 SOHO edition, which has more packages to work with. That should have the most recent packages up to now as well.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

theres slackware version 10 which u can check out mkhalsa veer

im currently downloading fedora core 2 and will download suse personal bootable version to check it out cause righ tnow fo rme it sbetween the 2 most prob ill get fedora core 2 and keep it but dunoo maybe suse will win

Sat Sri Akal:

TheTurbanator Ji, there is a SuSE Live Evaluation CD available. It runs like Knoppix (straight off the CD ROM without the need to install anything to the hard drives) and it should be a good impression as to how SuSE is. Try that out before having to go through an install (and then possibly formatting it because you do not like it).

It is available here:

http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/ft...e_eval_int.html