Happy Baisakhi!

singher23

Haha lol RebelSingh ... no of course the Sikligars are only a small minority of Sikhs

But yes 80% of the first five Khalsay in the world in 1699 i.e. the Punj Pyaaray were non-Punjabi yes

Well how come there are loads of reports of sikhligars/vanjaras/nanakpanthis then? those researchers cant all have been dumb? these southern sikhs r sed 2 outnumber us, personally i reckon they shud b transferred 2 north india, then outnumber these hindus in haryana/panjab areas, but it will never happen, coz r leaders only care for themselves! These southern sikhs r very loyal 2 sikhi, some of them r sooooooooooo poor its unreal, yet even after being targetted by muslim/christian missionaries, they've given em "2 fingers", straight up

True RebelSingh ... the Sikligars, Vanjaras + Nanakpanthi's are only three of many non-Punjabi communities within the fold of Sikhi. As far as I understand Sikligars number around 50,000 in Sri Nanded Sahib ... The majority of the non-Muslim Sindhi population (for example like actor Ranveer Singh + LK Advani's parents) are of Nanakpanthi background which numbers around 3million Sindhi's in India. Unfortunately with 3million being a pretty small minority amongst 1,210 million Indians and Hinduism being the dominant cultures + Nanakpanthi Sikhs mostly being monay ... since 1947-2012 ... a lot of the Nanakpanthi Sikhs have been more culturally assimilated to Hindu's. We don't help the matters ourselves when certain folks amongst us say that mona are not Sikhs. I think the southern Sikhs number about 5 lakh (as opposed to 5 crore which one researcher may have indicated). If we had 50 million southern Sikhs trust me GOI would think twice about messing with such a large vote bank. We Sikhs were dispensable in 1984 as we were 2% population ... but note how Congress have been bending over backwards recently for the Muslims of Uttar Pradesh as Muslims make up close to 20% or 40million in Uttar Pradesh.

And very true about the southern Sikhs being very steadfast in their Sikhi ... i don't know if you saw the video by the Scottish Sikh Society a while back perhaps ... but even with them the sad thing is that in Maharashtra ... only 1 person out of 500 there is Sikh ... something I can't get my head when one of the Panj Pyaaray was from there. What I am totally sure of is that 5% of Maharashtra's could become sehajdhari Sikhi ... (so long as we didn't expect everyone to become Amritdhari ... which in the short term would be a bit unrealistic)