Bbc Documentary On Sikhs In Uk From 1977

The Sikhs in this video speak very good English no slang no ghetto.

Also i notice mona veer not wearing harrmal in the langar hall, some kids uncoverd heads in the Gurdwara, i guess things were new as Sikhs hadnt been here long.

Look how many people turned out to see the Anand Karaj

WOW!!! tremendous stuff khalsa ji "Hammertime007", u notice also how the janani at the end (newleywed) sed how important it is for them 2 teach their kids panjabi/sikhi, and also that old Buddhi who was sayin how before eating in the morning u shud naam jap etc, jus shows u how time has changed, coz as u have noticed NONE of them look like amritdharis, yet if that programme was filmed 2day in 2012, u wud expect only amritdhari/very religious family 2 say those things. Also regarding the anand karaj, i dont kno bowt u, but ive never been 2 a anand karaj/sikh wedding when the darbar wasnt packed, its always 100% capacity. Altho in india, its disgusting how only 10-15ppl wil attend the anand karaj, rest r at the hall gettin fat n drunk, luckily (in my experience) ive never witnessed that mentality here in england, long may it continue.

WOW!!! tremendous stuff khalsa ji "Hammertime007", u notice also how the janani at the end (newleywed) sed how important it is for them 2 teach their kids panjabi/sikhi, and also that old Buddhi who was sayin how before eating in the morning u shud naam jap etc, jus shows u how time has changed, coz as u have noticed NONE of them look like amritdharis, yet if that programme was filmed 2day in 2012, u wud expect only amritdhari/very religious family 2 say those things. Also regarding the anand karaj, i dont kno bowt u, but ive never been 2 a anand karaj/sikh wedding when the darbar wasnt packed, its always 100% capacity. Altho in india, its disgusting how only 10-15ppl wil attend the anand karaj, rest r at the hall gettin fat n drunk, luckily (in my experience) ive never witnessed that mentality here in england, long may it continue.

I agree with india it a disgrace that hardley anyone goes to the Anand Karaj, people who come from uk or canada for weddings india usually do.

Uk is much better.

Though this is good programme im surprised it was doen up north, the West Midlands would of been better and more for me to watch and more interesting.

The Sikhs in this video speak very good English no slang no ghetto.

Also i notice mona veer not wearing harrmal in the langar hall, some kids uncoverd heads in the Gurdwara, i guess things were new as Sikhs hadnt been here long.

Look how many people turned out to see the Anand Karaj

Thanks for sharing that video. Ah....The BBC used to have a great style of documenatry making didn't they ? Love the steely grey colours too. Brilliant.

Agree with the anand karaj comment too. In Punjab the people are a joke, I had about 10 people at my anand karaj and a few hundred at the party. Been to weddings in Canada and they're just as bad as the Indians. Only a small fraction seem to think the anand karaj is important to attend. In this respect I feel really really proud of us UK lot. Here, we take a very dim view of people that turn up to the parties but didn't think the Gurdwara was important enough to attend. As such, we get the maximum attendance at the Gurdwara. More or less everyone at the party was also at the Gurdwara.

Re the video : My, how things have changed.....for the better. People are always complaining how 'these days people don't know sikhi' but I've always said how things used to be much worse in the old days. Nobody bothered to cover their kids heads. Even some of the adults didn't bother.

Having said that though.....I wish i could live in those days.....Simply for the chance to wear those big collars and flares and still be considered cool.