Red thread to wear for Akhandpaath???

sangat ji,

I juz found out this weekend at an akhandpaath that if the akhandpaath is being done to celebrate happiness then the ppl who attend are supposed to wear a red thread on their arm. they said everyone in canada does it. I told em that I never seen no one wearing a red dhaaga like that for akhandpaaths before. they said that Guru ji started this thing back when he started the idea of doing an akhandpaath.

If this is true, which Guru ji started this?

and which Guru ji started the idea of doing akhandpaath?

what other requirements like the above are supposed to be done for an akhandpaath?

thanx

^_^

i was checkin out SGPC's website for info about akhandpaaths and got a shocker:

c. Placing a pitcher, ceremonial clarified-butter-fed lamp, coconut, etc.  around, during the  course of the uninterrupted or any other reading of Guru Granth Sahib, or reading of other  Scriptural texts side by side with or in the course of such reading is contrary to the gurmat  (Guru's way).

holy skittles! I see these items AT EVERY program I attend whether it is akhandpaath or sahej paath or whatever! WHY DON'T THE BHAIs KNOW THIS? HOW DO THEY JUZ LET THIS STUFF HAPPEN?! :wub: @

and what about the red cloth? I it's used to wrap a coconut....? I heard that Guru ji said that one must kill a person and place the head there when havng akhandpaath.......but no ones gonna kill someone so the red cloth around the coconut symbolically represents that............more info anyone?

thanx

^_^

theres not even much evidence that akhand patt was started by guru sahib (if im wrong please enlighten me)

First Akhand Paath Sahib done by Guru Hargobind Ji after Shaheedi of Guru Arjan Dev Ji. I do remember reading in Gurbilas Pathshahi Sheveen Krit GurSobha Singh. Many other granths do talk about it. After passing the Guru Gaddi to 11th Roop of Guru Nanak Ji, Guru Gobind Singh Ji listened to Akhand Paath in one sitting and Baba Deep Singh Ji did the whole Paath in one sitting. Please correct me if I am wrong. Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

that must bew wrong because in the rehat it says that khalsa can not were red or green because the make the mind wander and can lead to wrong things

These four colours are to be worn. Other colours excite the mind and lure it to vices, and are therefore not prohibited. Amritdhari Singhs/Singhni’s are specifically not to wear red or green at anytime. One is to dress humbly, any simple colours can be worn. Amritdhari women are not to wear ear rings, nose-rings, rings, bangles, nail polish, lipstick, bindi, henna, keeping long nails, wearing a saree etc. Piercing of any kind is not prohibited.

writen be the damdami taksal rehat maryada

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

THE ORIGINAL TOPIC WAS ABOUT THE READ THREAD, OTHER ITEMS HAVE I THINK JUST BEEN ADDED TO MINIMISE THE IMPORTANCE OF THE ISSUE IN HAND.

THERE IS NO SYSTEM OF WEARING OR TIEING OF ANY SORT OF THREAD WHILE THE AKHAND PATH IS ON. THIS IS NOT ONLY MANMAT BUT STRICTLY AGAINST AND CONTRARY TO GURMAT. PATH MEANS GURBANI PATH ONLY, LET IT BE AN AKHAND PATH OR SEHAJ PATH OR SAPTAH PATH. ANY OTHER TYPE OF READING OR ACTIVITY SIDE BY SIDE MINIMISES THE IMPORTNACE OF GURBANI PATH. EVEN IN GURDWRA WHEN AKAHND PATH IS TAIKNG PLACE IN THE MAIN HALL, KIRTAN IS NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE PLACE . GURMAT REHAT MARYADA OF THE SGPC IS VERY CLEAR ABOUT IT. OTHER ALL SYSTEMS OR PRACTICES OR MARYADAS OR WEHAM BHARAMS ETC HAVE BEEN INTRODUCED BY SEVERAL DEREDARS OR SO CALLED SANTS. A GURSIKH MUST BE BEWARE OF THEM.

REGARDING FIRST AKAND PATH I HAVE READ IN A BOOK BY PRINCIPAL SATBIR SINGH THAT FIRST AKAHND PATH WAS GOT DONE BY GURU GOBIND SINGH SAHIB, WHILE HE WAS IN MUCH HURRY AND WAS INCLINED TO LISTEN TO GURBANI MIDST THE WARS BEING FOUGHT WITH THE ENEMY. GURU HARGOBIND SAHIB I THINKCOULD NOT DO ANY AKAHND PATH OR SO AS THE BIR OF 'GRANTH SAHIB' ( NOT GURU AT THAT TIME) WAS WITH DHIR MAL HIS GRAND SON, ELDER BROTHER OF GURU HAR RAI,WHO WAS NOT WILLING TO GIVE THE SAME TO HIS GRAND FATHER GURU HARGOBIND SAHIB. AT LEAVING THIS MORTAL WORLD BY BABA GURDITTA JI, THE ELDEST SON OF GURU HARGOBIND SAHIB AND FATHER OF BABA DHIR MAL AND GURU HAR RAI, IT IS CLEARLY MENTIONED THAT DHIR MAL NEITHER DID ATTEND THE BHOG CEREMONY OF HIS FATHER, NOR GAVE AWAY THE BIR SAHIB TO GURU HAR GOBIND SAHIB FOR PATH PURPOSES.

JAGJIT SINGH

Admin Note: Please do NOT type in AL

L CAPS!! This implies that you are yelling and it is hard to read. -2

aight my bad, lets keep this thread to the red thread issue, check other thread for other things that go on for akhandpaaths, etc.

so far I see no reason for tying a red thread if the akhandpaath is for happiness. it makes no sense. no one is gonna know by looking at my red thread that i came from an akhandpaath.

but lets try to get some facts from reliable sources. we need to find out the history and origin of these kinda things or else we won't know why the heck we do this kinda stuff.

the only occasion i know that ppl wear red thread for is maiya, when they put the yellow nasty stuff on the one gettin married, which is anti gurmat because that is a hindu practice/ceremony. so anyone who sees my red thread is gonna think i came from a wedding. :wub:

lets get info on this.......history.......origin.

thanx for responses and input

^_^