82 Hijacking

I was reading about stories of Shaheed Singhs and in 1982 a Singh named Manjit Singh planned to land a plane full of hijacked Hindus in Libya (but didn't have enough fuel) which makes me wonder if Muammar Gaddafi was sympathetic to the Sikh movment. I wouldn't be surprised considering historicaly Gaddafi backed many anti-imperialist resistance movements.

http://www.neverforg...-museebat-singh

snippet from above link:

One day, Bhai Manjit had told his family that he was leaving to visit Sri Hazoor Sahib. On August 20, 1982 news began to circulate that in protest to the Governments harsh treatment towards the Sikhs, Bhai Manjit Singh had hijacked a plane leaving from Udaipur to Delhi.

Talking about the hijacking incident Mata Kartar Kaur said:

“Around mid-morning there was commotion in the area that Museebat Singh had hijacked a plane. The immediate thought running through my mind was could this be our Manjit Singh? By evening the news had been confirmed and with the rest of the family I reached Sri Darbar Sahib hoping to meet Sant Jarnail Singh.

Upon reaching Sri Darbar Sahib we met with Bhai Ram Singh (Ragi) and explained the situation who then introduced us with Sant Jarnail Singh. Sant Ji instructed the Singhs to provide the family with a room in the Serai, but on my request we were given a room at Guru Nanak Niwas.”

Mata Kartar Kaur revealed that Bhai Manjit Singh had initially planned on taking the plane to Libya, however was told by the pilot that the plane did not carry enough fuel to do so. Then Bhai Manjit Singh instructed the pilot to take the plane to Lahore, but the plane was not permitted to land as the Indian Government had already lodged protest with Pakistan. The plane circled above Pakistan for some time until eventually they returned back and landed at Raja Sansi Airport, Amritsar with the intention of refuelling.

Whilst landed at Raja Sansi airport Bhai Manjit Singh released many of the passengers aboard before giving himself up on assurances that he would not be harmed. However, as Bhai Manjit Singh came out of the plane he was shot at a point blank range by DSP Bachan Singh.