The Significance Of 5

Waheguru ji!!!

This topic was started on the old forum, and I wanna get it kickin again, there is such a big significance behind the number 5 in Sikhi. Let me start off with the birth of Khalsa!! ^_^

When the human is born,

God gives 5 fingers on each hand.

When the human is born,

God gives 5 toes on each foot.

When the human is born,

God gives 5 senses - touch, taste, smell, hearing

and sight.

Everything new created in this world is made of

5 elements - Earth, Water, Fire, Metal, Wood.

300 years ago 5 men sacrificed their lives to be reborn.

Like a new baby is given a new name,

these 5 men were given the new name Singh.

Like a new baby is dressed with new clothes,

these 5 men were dressed with a new identity,

the 5 k's - kesh, khanga, karra, kachha, kirpan.

These 5 men united represented,

- The birth of Khalsa - :g :g :g

Ok, I'll help jog your memory.......

5 kakaar

5 aab(rivers)

5 Vices (Kaam, Krodh, etc)

SINGH=5 letters :D

5 Banian (NITNEM)

pa(n)j nivaajaa vakhath pa(n)j pa(n)jaa pa(n)jae naao ||

There are five prayers and five times of day for prayer; the five have five names.

FIVE RULES OF CONDUCT July 10th.03

The final set of rules in the series by Guru Gobind Singh ji

Five rules were laid down for the general observance of the Sikhs:

1) Before beginning every work or enterprise, a prayer should be offered to the Sat guru.

2) Sikhs should help one another and serve the panth. The Panth is the real house to every Sikh. Self-interest is the by-product of ego…EGOISM DEBARS US FROM THE DIVINE VISION

3) Sikh must learn riding and the use of arms.

4) Sikh doesn’t covet or a possess another’s property.

5) A Sikh is not to commit adultery.

In any event of breach of four major cardinal sins one must appear in front of Panj Peeare in the presence of the Guru.

1) Cutting of hair on any part of the body

2) Adultery or fornication

3) Taking of alcohol, smoking or use of narcotics for recreational use

4) The eating of kuttha meat or the by products, eggs, fish etc. Some Singh thinks that fish is Jal Tory (water cucumber) Fish is live moving solely creature.

A Sikh who has injured the Panth in some way can be called as well. A Sikh doing so must humbly present himself or herself in front of Panj Piyaree and explain his or her lapses honestly to the core of their heart. Guru Sahib knows everything already. One who tries to deceive the Guru cannot expect full blessings in return.

GHAT GHAT KE PAT PAT KI JANEY.

ONE CAN’T OUTSMART THE COMBINATION OF PANJ PEEARE IN FRONT OF SGGSJEE. Whosoever tries to be clever usually regrets it later. The Sikh path is that of the truth. The truth is God.

The role of 5 piyaree is to listen, guide, and administer discipline that will

help you overcome the influence of ego.

The Panj Piyaree have greater role in Khalsa panth and in a Sikh’s spiritual life. They are the gateway to Guru. Guru Gobind Singh ji has given His responsibility to Panj Piyaree to deal with panthic and Sikh’s personal problems. They are the foundation of Khalsa Panth. None can hide or ignore their responsibility in ones life and journey to Guru. (Panj means five, Piyaree means devout beloved Sikhs, who live their personal life according to Guru’s teachings.

If you love your Guru, you will be loved ten times more.

Be aware of phony or self-interested business gurus, avatars and so-masters. They are only here for name recognition and accumulation of wealth. They will misguide you from your spiritual path.

A Sikh only bows down completely to SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI AND NO ONE ELSE. GURU IS LIKE GOLD. He is constant and wanders nowhere. The keertanees are like silver. They impart the message of the Word but are not the Word. They become effective only if their attention is focused on the Word and less on the musicality or how to impress the audience. Otherwise with their mind going in all directions they fail as keertanees.

The sadh sangat is like bronze. They gather to hear the message of the word. They may or may not listen. It is only when they truly listen and become attuned to the message of SGGSjee that there is truly sangat. A Sikh meeting other members of the sangat bends his or her head slightly while remembering the Lord and reciting the greeting of:

WAHEGURUJI KA KHALSA WAHEGURUJI KI FATEH!

A Sikh’s allegiance must remain with the immovable SGGSjee. To need not be moved by opinions and criticism of others if he or she follows the dictates of the Gurus. Bronze and silver cannot equal gold. Bronze and silver become gold by the touchstone of Gurbanee- (Guru’s teachings) with simran (contemplation). Both transform when cleverness departs and sincere devotion takes over.

In company of Guru, while contempla

ting His Name, Sikhs and all sangat present become sadh sangat. The sadh sangat is the image of Guru. Sadh means the pious One. Sangat means the congregation.

BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE. YOU ARE A SIKH OF GURU GOBIND SINGH JI.

Gur poorey meri rakh layee. Amrit Naam ridhe meh dino

Janaam janaam ki mel gaiyee. Ank page# 823-24 Sri Guru Granth Sahib. (The Sikh Holy Scriptures)

The complete Guru, the Spiritual Master has kept my dignity and respect in His hand by blessing me with His Ambrosia. All my sins from previous lives have been wiped out by His grace and kindness.

When you address a Singh or sangat on the Internet, please don’t write address another in a casual manner like ‘guys and gals’. This may be fine for the worldly people but any Sikh must be addressed with humility and respect. It is disrespectful and plain rude whether you meant it or not. Remember every Sikh or a Singh is the precious image of his or her Guru. You must humbly greet and respect other GurSikhs. If you ignore to call Fateh to one GurSikh you have not done Fateh to your Guru.

With love and regards………

Sincerely

Jagdish Singh CA

"Gur poorey meri rakh layee. Amrit Naam ridhe meh dino

Janaam janaam ki mel gaiyee. Ank page# 823-24 Sri Guru Granth Sahib. (The Sikh Holy Scriptures)

The complete Guru, the Spiritual Master has kept my dignity and respect in His hand by blessing me with His Ambrosia. All my sins from previous lives have been wiped out by His grace and kindness. " ^_^

"panch parvan panch darga pave maan.. " Okay don't lafff.. I know i got it wrong... but very similar quote comes in our gurbani.. I think it has to do something with 5 :D

Everything new created in this world is made of

5 elements - Earth, Water, Fire, Metal, Wood.

I think the list goes like:

Water

Fire/heat

Sky

Earth

what's the fifth one.. :D @

Our body is also made of those 5 things too..

Water - We have water inside

Fire/heat - If one is dead he/she is cold, but alive we are warm

sky - there is vacum space inside us

earth - our body is earth.. (Mittee)

still thinking what's the fifth one.. :D @