a question about langar

pavandeep

Guest stopsingh2
Joga Singh,

Obviously you shouldn't demand more than what has been offered for bhog, but are you saying that sangat should eat everything that was offered for bhog?  What if you're not that hungry and just want daal with roti?  You should obviously eat what has been put in your plate... but there is nothing wrong with refusing certain things before they are put into your plate.  If someone dislikes a certain food they shouldn't have to eat it.  What if you're not hungry at all?  You still have to eat?  That doesn't make much sense to me.  I could be wrong but I think you should only eat as much as you want/need... and i think langar should be a simple meal... nothing complicated.

Maybe someone more knowledgable could offer an opinion?

Also I dont think people should demand what is not on offer. I have seen a few cases of this where people ask for special dishes to be prepared even though there is Guru Ka Langar which is fresh and being eaten by the rest of the sangat. I did post something about this yesterday but mysteriously the post has vanished.

People have forgotten how Akbar eat Guru Ka Langar and did not have special requests. He eat what he was given. In todays age I have seen people requesting besan wali rotia and xyz dal. And the people making these requests are supposed to be learned men. I doubt very much they would

have the guts or nerve to make such requests at say the Darbar Sahib langar hall, but they appear to want to take advantage of the situation in UK Gurdwara.

Sat Sri Akal:

Yeah, the requesting certain dishes thing...I have not seen it, but would not be surprised that is occurs. What seems to be lacking is an understanding that when you come to the Guru's Door, it is Guru Sahib who should be making demands of you (ie. following the teachings of the Guru Granth Sahib), not the other way around.

I remember a story from Sant Attar Singh Ji's life. I believe they were going to build a Gurudwara and before they started, Sant Ji held Langar. The first time, it was Langar with all the dishes...many came. Then, each day, Sant Ji had Langar made with one less dish...les and less people came. Finally, Langar was only Daal and Parshaddae...only a handful remained. Sant Ji said now we can begin sewa... :lol: