a question about langar

pavandeep

Sat Sri Akal:

Langar the blessed food made in the community kitchen that is found in Gurudwaras. The food is made by Sikhs in the kitchen, then a plate is filled up with all the items cooked, brought into the hall while the service is going on so that they may become blessed by Guru Sahib and then later on, the individual items are put back into the dishes that they were cooked in, along with the rest of the items, so the blessing is given to all of the items. Then, after service has concluded (or sometimes, Langar can be eaten while service is being performed in a separate hall), all the people sit on the floor and have the food, along with plates, spoons, glasses and napkins distributed so they can eat.

The Langar was started by Guru Nanak Sahib as a means to fight the inequality that was common in India and elsewhere. People, whether they were royalty or a common worker, all sat on the floor and ate the same food cooked by the same people. This was very different from what was going on in the world, where a Hindu would not eat food from someone of a "lower job" then them, would not let a person with a "lower job" then them even touch them. Hindu priests would not let common workers read Hindu holy books and if they did, they would take their eyes out. If that common worker listened to the teachings of the holy books, they would have their ears filled with melted lead. Guru Nanak, and the following 9 Gurus said that all humans are equal and all had the right to eat, read and listen to and with each other.

Hope this helps.

So if GuruJi isn't present then its not possible for food to become "langar" regardless of how its served, right? I guess that's my actual question... a couple of days ago i went somewhere where they were serving food that "appeared" to be langar... but Guru Granth Sahib was not present.

I commented that it wasn't langar.. but my friend thought it was...you can't just do ardaas, right?

So if GuruJi isn't present then its not possible for food to become "langar" regardless of how its served, right? I guess that's my actual question... a couple of days ago i went somewhere where they were serving food that "appeared" to be langar... but Guru Granth Sahib was not present.

I commented that it wasn't langar.. but my friend thought it was...you can't just do ardaas, right?

If the food gone through the bhog process and prepared on the grounds of Gurdwara.. then it is langar :lol:

Joga Singh,

Obviously you shouldn't demand more than what has been offered for bhog, but are you saying that sangat should eat everything that was offered for bhog? What if you're not that hungry and just want daal with roti? You should obviously eat what has been put in your plate... but there is nothing wrong with refusing certain things before they are put into your plate. If someone dislikes a certain food they shouldn't have to eat it. What if you're not hungry at all? You still have to eat? That doesn't make much sense to me. I could be wrong but I think you should only eat as much as you want/need... and i think langar should be a simple meal... nothing complicated.

Maybe someone more knowledgable could offer an opinion?

Sat Sri Akal:

When partaking of Guru Ka Langar, take only as much as you need and no more (if you are not sure, just get daal and 1 roti...you can always eat more at home...) and finish it. The thought just came to mind that this IS also food that has been blessed by Guru Sahib. To throw it away (yeah, I used to be guilty of it too...good thing I have better sense and bigger stomach now...) is not correct.