BC Sikh youths be aware of new deepa mehta film on sikh gangs

N30S1NGH

Their actions do not reflect Sikhi, so just because some guy wears a kara or has a name which ends with "inder" or "jit" does not qualify them to automatic status of a Sikh. "Lead by example, not just your words"

I get that, they aren't representing Sikh values. But to try and pass the buck and pretend that these guys have no connection to wider Sikh society, which, like it or not, isn't, nor has EVER been made up of purely strictly practicing 'perfect' Sikhs is plain cowardice and shirking of responsibility.

It IS wider Sikh societies duty to look after their own wayward and lost. And it's a shame that some of you more 'perfect' brothers and sisters like to bury your heads to this responsibility.

Muslims and Christians love to play the 'they're not one of us' card everytime it comes to saving face. 'Oh we didnt fly those planes into those buildings, they werent real Muslims' or 'We didnt kill all those third worlders, the killers aren't Christian' are convenient cop-outs from people used to passing the buck. If you were truly Sikh you would know that this isnt the Sikh way.

Just because some Sikhs decide to say others arent Sikhs doesnt change a thing. It wont stop them from feeling Sikh, it wont stop them from calling themself Sikh and it wont stop them being seen as a Sikh. This Spartan-esque attitude of cutting out people as outsiders and then trying to ignore the issue just causes the problem to fester and take more Sikhs down a dark path.

Dalsingh101, veer what you said made me think, it make sense..infact now that i research more on this, there are full fledged sikhs here in Canada who are driving trucks- dealing with drugs smuggling/are in part of gang related crimes, and there are those who are even in the gurdwara's committe who have previous drug/gang convictions or alleged in drugs/gangs. I think if we look at this drug/gang issue deeply and explore the connection, i think hostile factions-anti social element within ISYF (International Sikh Youth Federation) can be implicated or held responsible for this mess..!!!!!!

More research is needed..i think someone wrote a research paper on gang/drug violence within sikh community here in BC...I will try to find it.