Sacred Books

first make a list of all the problems u see in the world, think about the root reason why these problems occur

then make a list of the main scriptures in the world and list how they address various problems, do these scriptures provide a cure for the root reason? if not then the answer to ur question is no

if yes, then list why and how each teachin can be used

ok, Das will put in front of the sangat an example of how SGGS has helped people in the 20TH CENTURY. perhaps you know this story.

there were a few hindus, who decided to embrace sikhi, and do sewa at sri darbar sahib (karah prasad di sewa). there was a problem with this, it was brahmins who controlled the gurdwaras and these hindus were chamar (untouchables), therefore, shouldnt and couldnt and even wouldnt be allowed to do sewa.

chalo, that happened.

so the gyanis of darbar sahib decided to take a hukamnama, hopefully and surly this would solve the question. as a result, guru amar das ji da hukam was read out aloud. i cant remember exactly how this vak went, but it said, ones main objective on this earth is to do sewa, then they will be sadha mukat. with this vak, the brahmins allowed the newly embraced to do sewa.

ok, so teachers are saying the aaj kaal di granths are useless, well they imply it with such questions.

but answer me this.

doesnt each granth say the same thing in how bad the world has become? and how to overcome it?

as for people saying why some granths such as the bible, koran dont comment on certain areas. well you tell me, do they not say stay away from things that take you away from god, just like the guru granth sahib? do they not talk about their vices? and seeing going into prostitution is kaami, the bible slams kaami people.

as for drugs, maya is around us, its everything around us that have nothing to do with god. everything around us has a possible effect in getting to become a knower of god. therfore, that answers your question on how granths can help us in the 21st century regarding the problems the yout

h face, such as drugs etc.

bhol chukke muaff

Das

Sat Sri Akal:

"Books written down hundreds of years ago cannot possibly help us solve the problems we face in the 21st century."

Technology changed, dress changed, life changed, but humanity has the same turmoil inside. When was lust, anger, greed, worldly relations, and pride not a trap of humanity? Since when have humans been pointing to something beyond their limited lifespan and looking for something beyond the finite?

It has been religion, taught through the various sacred texts that have sought to answer these questions that are as intrinsic to humanity now as when they just began to peer at the world. The human is the same, the essence is the same, the problems are the same and only the sacred texts have tackeled the issue to some satisfaction. Only the sacred books have provided humanity with a guiding light to become beyond their physical cage and explore their true potential.

The question becomes therefore "Have all the advancements made by humans over the hundreds of years done anything to resolve humanity's inner conflict?"

Alright, I am done being a hippy...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 
    • Giani Kulwant Singh Jawaddi Kalan uses simple Punjabi.
    • Leaving aside Guru ji, the general question of taking afeem (opium) in limited quantities for war/medical wounds is simply unproblematic. When you go to the hospital, they give you morphine. What do you think morphine is? It's an opiate. Even codeine (cough syrup) is an opiate! Ever had a cough? Granted, it is against Gurmat to take opium or other drugs for the fun of it.

Important Information

Terms of Use