Horseback riding and Sikhs

True what Singh559 writes. Also as they say "shounk da koi mol nahin hunda" so if you asking cost then it probably better not to keep.

Colt/Filly are not too expensive to buy, but you need a passion to take them to the next level, otherwise you can end up with a cart horse. Good nutrition and exercise is very important in the development of horses. Not really something you can trust someone to do on your behalf.

My uncle keeps his mare in the Doaba. Its looked after by a hired help. He visits only visits india 2-3 times a year. Recently he has had it bred and attended for the birth. The foal will be sold on. It was given to him a couple years ago by his in-laws as a midlife birthday present. Guess where they live - Malwa. He was bemused at first, but it seems to be thriving under the care of his syce.

Just the sort of inlaws you want!! I once planted a couple of mango saplings and asked the woman who is paid to sweep up etc to water them every now and then, they did not last 2 months.

Your uncle is lucky. A good trustworthy syce is hard to find these days.

• 3 months later...

What's the best place to source 1-2 suitable breed horses (colt/filly) in north India (or south I suppose), for the purposes of regular long distance riding? Do nihangs keep good horses or are they just for novelty/show? Are punjabi 'stud farms' reliable? The budget is very low, this horse is required for a new self sustainable community being set up which is trying to live entirely off a small patch of land and on food and goods generated within the community (no outside goods whatsoever from clothes to consumer goods). The horse will be trained for western riding (bitless if it can be done) and will be used by a sikh for regular transport for personal activities as well as parchar throughout india ('udasis'). The community does not normally use paper money (they barter), they will have to sell their produces to raise cash- so budget is low. This will not be for novelty purposes. Please help.

How about instead of wasting money on horses, we learn what your real rights are:

and set up firing range to teach sikh youth marksmanship.

Musketry is another more important sikh tradition,

The nihangs also dug a pit hopeing the british would jump in, and instead were killed by the 100's by one shell.

All respect, but it's the 21st century, if you want to preserve our 'history' then go do sati with it.

When we have raaj we can think of these things, even then no..

Germany, took the world to war, hitler said if only I had a regiment of sikhs.

Every sikh should be like 125,000 rambo.

----

*DELETED*

• 2 weeks later...

How about instead of wasting money on horses, we learn what your real rights are:

and set up firing range to teach sikh youth marksmanship.

Musketry is another more important sikh tradition,

The nihangs also dug a pit hopeing the british would jump in, and instead were killed by the 100's by one shell.

All respect, but it's the 21st century, if you want to preserve our 'history' then go do sati with it.

When we have raaj we can think of these things, even then no..

Germany, took the world to war, hitler said if only I had a regiment of sikhs.

Every sikh should be like 125,000 rambo.

I like that Rambo thing. But this is one question that begs of us, what is the future of shastarvidya. Speaking to an Nihang Singh, he told me that Guru Ji say's the war to end will be fought with swords, bows and arrows, and horses. Which is why they preserve the traditional art of war.

Of course in these times, we should be learning to use firearms as well, but maintaining a balance with our traditional war practices.