Keertan Tuition

Guest Learn Keertan

Guest Learn Keertan

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Could someone please tell me if any FEMALE can provide private Keertan tuition here in the West Midlands - we would like to learn 'general' Kirtan, Simran and Raag if possible. We will pay for ALL costs, travel and for the tuition.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

does one have to be an amritdhari in order to learn kirtan?

i too would like to learn, but feel do not have a singing voice thus to sing in surr will be difficult.

also if its ok, whats the best harmonium to get and average prices? and is it possible to get compact harmoniums from India and weight please?

you have to me amritdharee to sing on stage because the sangat should see and be influenced so you have to be a role model but there is no one stopping you from learning. you cannot judge your voice until you try as there are lots of types of voice. practise will get you the surr no matter if your voice is deep or sharp. besides the main point is to make our life in surr-sing His praises from your heart. for beginners, do not get a professional baja as there is no point, to get your fingers going get a normal standard one. they would be expensive in the uk, almost double price. from india you can get one and ship it across fo something ridiculously cheap like 15p per kilo or something- do not know from the top of my head. What some people like to do is ask at the gurdwara/ or when a kirtan jatha comes to your local gurudwara buy one off them nd get them too give you a discount. if you want to buy one straigh frrom punjab roots shop or DTF they will rip you off, but it is the easiest thing to do if you need one immediatly. also, all my best wishes out there to you.

You dont have to be amritdhari to learn kirtan! i used to do kirtan on stage when I was little with my punjabi class. i think when ur matured you have to be amritdhari to do katha and kirtan but for kids its alright guess. :)

@simran I got my vaja from india, they are really cheap over there. not sure about the weight and stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

In reply to post #6 and #3. Please make a topic about this as I don't have the time to go in-depth about why what you have said in regards to doing Keertan is wrong. Just think about the Sikhs who came before the Khalsa was created? What were they doing then?

You don't have to be Amritdhari to do Keertan. Katha is the explanation of Gurbani and as long as what a person says is in line with Gurmat then there is nothing wrong with that either.

Guest Gur Singh

I agree with Jaggaa, if I have love in my heart and I want to sing the praises of my Guru how can you say I cannot go on stage because I am not Amritdhari.

Maybe there should be a questionnaire/ exam for anyone that wants to go on stage that is judged by the paanj pyarai?