Getting Sick in India

Dear Sangat,

I live in Canada (born and raised)but whenever I go to India in the village (pind of punjab, ludhiana side) I get terribly sick. Mostly asthma, breathing problems, severe cold/flu type symptoms with a congested chest, super phlem and fever. It usually lasts for a good portion of the time I am there and I have to repeatedly go to the dr for medicine.

I don't drink tap water in India - always bottled and boiled water and don't eat out - always from home.

One thing I noticed that if I go to Chandigarh and stay will relatives there,I am fine and hardly ever get sick, it is always the pind that makes me sick.

I have experimented before and I am always good in Chandigarh. Now you say then just stay in Chandigarh - the problem being that nobody is left now there to stay with.So I have to stay in the pind.

Do any of you also experience this n the pind? Why is it that the pind makes one more sick?

Hoping you guys can give me some advice.....I am not looking forward to my next trip which is coming soon......

Mostly asthma, breathing problems, severe cold/flu type symptoms with a congested chest, super phlem and fever - .Sounds like an alergic reaction.

Could be something in the air from the fields, maybe to do with farm animals, dung etc. Can't be dust as there is plenty of that in pinds and cities.

You need to work out what is in the pinds that you do not encounter in the citites.

I was also thinking about the cow dung.....I wonder if maybe it's the cooking practices. I have noticed in the pind cleanliness is an after thought. The ladies are un-educated and it's hard to explain anything to them, they just laugh saying "vadaa valaitee".

Could also be the cows in the open. I think sometimes the flies on the cow dung and urine then could also fly to the food as its cooked close by.

For the people living in India its fine, but I find it hell and have avoided going there for a few years now....but will need to to attend a wedding soon.

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated......

I think its the lack of cleanliness in the pinds. And could also be as Bundha says some allergy. Pollen? There different types of pollen, not just grass, trees, plants, etc. Also look into the water supply. Some people have water filters fitted so the water is cleaner. I noticed when i went last time, i was better in a hotel but that was delhi, where there is more pollution,and was a good hotel. No offence but some women in pinds dont have same hygiene as others. Some kitchens including our own were so dirty, and toilets too.

Its not just nris that get ill, also those from India that have been staying abroad then go back after a while. Its called "paani-badal".

Dnt worry go and enjoy your holiday, worry will not help, and when you get there probably wont be as bad, as long as you take precautions.

I was also thinking about the cow dung.....I wonder if maybe it's the cooking practices. I have noticed in the pind cleanliness is an after thought. The ladies are un-educated and it's hard to explain anything to them, they just laugh saying "vadaa valaitee".

Could also be the cows in the open. I think sometimes the flies on the cow dung and urine then could also fly to the food as its cooked close by.

For the people living in India its fine, but I find it hell and have avoided going there for a few years now....but will need to to attend a wedding soon.

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated......

You are suffering from some kind of severe allergic reaction

1) You can go for allergy test and find which material you are allergic to and then you can ask doctor for further treatment

2) You can wear some kind of very good pollution mask and see if it works?

Regarding your questions about Indians. They either develop immunity , or don't survive if they had some kind very severe particular allergy.In some rare cases they live with chronic illness.