Qatar to Amritsar

What's really required is for some rich Sikh or consortium of Sikhs to either buy an airline or start one up. Initially it would take quite a bit of money but then the consortium could go public and sell shares once it is on a sound footing. We have had half hearted attempts before but this needs to done on professional level. There is enough demand, and most flights especially from the UK would be full if the flight was direct. There is probably enough demand in the UK and Canada for daily flights and probably a couple of flights per week from Germany, Italy, Australia etc. Even if the landing fees are more than Delhi and the tickets would reflect this then I for one would not mind paying an extra £100 for a direct flight to Amritsar and not see the shythole called Indira Gandhi International Airport!

I do recall someone was interested in this idea about 6-7 years ago and then all of a sudden Jet Airlines started their direct flights to Amritsar, obviously this would have made the new airline idea more difficult but then as soon as that idea went dead the haram.zadas at Jet airlines withdrew their direct flights..co-incidence?

What's really required is for some rich Sikh or consortium of Sikhs to either buy an airline or start one up. Initially it would take quite a bit of money but then the consortium could go public and sell shares once it is on a sound footing. We have had half hearted attempts before but this needs to done on professional level. There is enough demand, and most flights especially from the UK would be full if the flight was direct. There is probably enough demand in the UK and Canada for daily flights and probably a couple of flights per week from Germany, Italy, Australia etc. Even if the landing fees are more than Delhi and the tickets would reflect this then I for one would not mind paying an extra £100 for a direct flight to Amritsar and not see the shythole called Indira Gandhi International Airport!

I do recall someone was interested in this idea about 6-7 years ago and then all of a sudden Jet Airlines started their direct flights to Amritsar, obviously this would have made the new airline idea more difficult but then as soon as that idea went dead the haram.zadas at Jet airlines withdrew their direct flights..co-incidence?

Yes Jet used to go fully booked , they made some excuse about lack of business passengers but the configuration they used the number of business passengers was only about 15 , whereas in economy it was about 200.

Jet also charged much more for the Amritsar flights than Delhi so would have made a good profit anyway.

In the short term it may be better to push for more flights by the existing airlines as they have a set up in place, the big Travel agents have a lot of influence on flights. The higher landing fees at Amritsar need to be dropped also.

I flew Qatar last year. Plane journey decent enough but security check during transfer at Doha was terrible and uncompromising, they tried actively to humiliate me when it came to my kakkars, they were intent on making me remove for the sake of it, rather than having any valid security concern or following any standard protocol, once I removed after threats of sending me back to my departure city, they didn't even feel inclined to rescan, just pushed me along. The sole non-muslim baggage handler on duty was terribly embarrassed by their attitude and tried his best to help me. In comparison, I was treated with great respect at London- they even gave me an option to keep my kara on in return for removing shoes and a my turban scanned with great respect.

So Qatar airways fair enough, Doha not a good transfer point for a sikh. And I wouldn't recommend carrying a gutka sahib by hand, I have it from a good source that they will seize and burn it.

What is required is that we give up this non stop rush rush life and slow down. Guru sahiban travelled slowly at ease. I have been investigating travelling by Ship. It's actually not all that long (20+ days Southampton UK to Nhava Sheva India). I'm not joking- there is zero need for all this rushing for one's spiritual sanity, and also the carbon footprint of a longhaul flight is massive. Although passenger ships do not exist any more, I have found that there exists what is known as freighter travel- basically cargo ships have around 10 private luxury en suite cabins and can carry passengers at a relatively cheap rate compared to a cruise ship and it's a great relaxing journey perfect for quite meditation and you can also see various ports if so inclined. PM me for details if interested, however going through an agent is still relatively expensive unless you have a contact in the industry then price comes down to as low as $50 a night. What is needed is for Sikhs to purchase a ship, there are many seaworthy vessles being scrapped rather than being used. And one can keep all kakkars on as well- not something I believe can happen even in a Sikh owned airline on an international route, and also carry hundreds of kg of luggage. A Sikh ship would have a Gurdwara and Raagis on board and also double up as an Sikh flagged aid flotilla to participate in humanitarian operations in the name of the Guru, and should the need ever arise, a ship to ferry Khalsa warriors to place of need. Show me a plane that can do that.

Also- regarding airline- you have no idea how much it costs to run, it is very very very expensive to operate, even when not flying a plane is extremely expensive to own, there is most certainly not enough demand from just sikhs for it to be a viable operation. Chartering a plane on an individual basis is a more viable option if you are intent on rushing by air.

• 9 months later...