Barsi advise

Guest singhd

Guest singhd
Happy Vaisakhi!

Hello all

Need some advise on planning barsi for my father who passed away last year.

Don't have anyone to ask so was hoping the wider community could help.

Need to know when the barsi has to be done and what exactly has to be done.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Having been in a similar situation quite recently, the advice given to my family by the paathi Singhs conducting the Sehaj Path was that, from a gurmat perspective, we shouldn't do anything for the barsi and not even for the first one.

He said that if we 'manaa' the barsi every year, we are just calling the soul back again and again and we should not do this.

But I know lots of people do arrange for akhand paths or sehaj paths or Sukhmani Sahib paths to take place at their local gurdwara or at their home, and this is usually after one year has passed and then on similar dates in the following years. Some people arrange to have a path done every year, some just after maybe 1 year or 5 or 10. Some people just choose to have an ardas done at the gurdwara to remember the barsi and to pray for shanti of the atma.

I've seen lots of akhand paths take place at gurdwaras to remember someone's barsi, but whether or not we are meant to do this is a separate issue. Some say it's ok, some say it's not. I bet if you were to ask your local gurdwara they will most likely say 'yes it's fine, here are the available dates and here's a price list' but hopefully other members on this forum who have more knowledge will be able to shed some more light on this.

If you and your family already know that you do definitely want to do something for the barsi, then it's probably best to talk to someone at your local gurdwara who can help with all the necessary arrangements.