New to Sikhi

Guest AusTex

Links above are not working! All hyperlinks lead to a blank page with a small box, 'x' inside, no text! Do I need certain programs so to read from the links? I have the latest Adobe 9? I have written a message asking the same questions to gurmatvee, no reply just yet.

Hey, just thought I'd mention that all of the links are working for me so you're probably missing a piece of software or something. I use Google Chrome btw, don't know if that makes a difference!

My dear brother, my advice is thus: Sikhism is all about God; it is very God-focussed, keep your mind attached to God during your journey. Be wary of rituals (insist on understanding the spirirutal meanings of everything) and try to understand the essence of Sikhi for yourself (try some quiet meditation). Sikhi is a universal path for all of humanity (humanity is one, God is one); it is not just 'another good religion', love for God is the true religion. Try to forget everything that you know and have been taught (heavens, hells, God's qualities and form, creation myths etc), and allow yourself to intuitively discover spiritual bliss. The Shabad (Guru ji) is from God and not mere words, deeper contemplation of the shabad will help you in this process, you don't need any middle man between you and God. Finally remember that spirituality is not a hobby or an activity- life is spirituality and spirituality is life.

Regarding resources, others have given you excellent links. Sikhiwiki.org is an excellent resource, srigranth.org has acceptable translations of the Shabad Guru and I would also recommend reading something like Bhai Randhir Singh ji's autobiography. PM me if you need to ask anything.

God bless.

Guest AusTex

I figured out the problem, and now all sites&links are working just fine, TY _***_ :)

I will check out the link! Great looking out, translated shabads! TY GurujisDaughter!

Rrss, your words ring true! The more I sit simran, part take in naam jap, and read from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji this shines clearer. That love for God is the true religion. How that love is expressed, lived day-to-day, and venerated is where I have questions. Hence, my journey through many different paths. Perhaps, the key lesson thus far learned for me, is that of consistency&simplicity. I hear ya, life&spirituality is one in the same for me. To speak of them as separate, requires conscious effort on my part. You have hit the nail on the head, I must allow myself to discover spiritual bliss, intuitively, without the hang ups of drilled details. Interestingly enough, it was questioning those spiritual meanings of rituals that left me within a introspective state. It was in this state that I was prompted to inquiry about Sikhi, with the fear of sounding a bit of a cliché, after spotting a Sikh woman in full bana complete with a radiant smile.

Thank you for the reading suggestion and offer of further help! God bless!