Support For Khalistan And Social Media

I'm sure most of the people on here (apart from Dal Singh) are probably too young or weren't even born in 1984. I was 16 years old living in the UK then and I remember how Sikhs felt. There was a feeling that Khalistan is just around the corner but strangely enough there was very little support among the Sikh youth. I knew people my own age but many were just interested in the job situation and what college or university they were going to choose. The support was much more in the 30 and over age group. When I went to Punjab in 1988, I was under the impression that very few Sikhs supported Khalistan, this view was mainly because I tended to read the British press and watched the news on the BBC. In Punjab, I found that the Sikhs and even the Hindus in Punjab believed that Khalistan was inevitable. The support was big among the Sikhs and the Hindus just thought that anything they did would not have any effect on the final outcome.

Fast forward 25 years and the situation is this. In the UK a majority of the Sikh youth in every age group seem to be in support of Khalistan. This was never the case in the late 80s. Even the young guys who come over from India in the last few years are very much in support of Khalistan. This I see as the effect of both the Sikh media (SC and Sangat Tv) as well as youtube and facebook. On facebook you see much more support from Sikhs in India. Not only in Punjab but Sikhs who live outside Punjab for whom you would think supporting Khalistan would be dangerous, also support Khalistan.

The things which we never had in the 80s, was an effective media as well as a way to reach the Sikhs for Punjab is now available. I remember in the mid 80s Jagjeet Singh Chohan talking about setting up a satellite channel in order to broadcast programmes in support of Khalistan into India. That media now exists albeit in a different form. Youtube and Facebook have already shown how a movement can effectively counter the state propaganda and pass news and views without censorship on to a oppressed people.

We have all seen how effective the Indian establishment has been in basically keeping the young Sikhs in Punjab ignorant of what happened in 1984. For all the millions that the govt had spent on buying the Badals and Tohras, the internet can negate all that if the Sikhs outside India are able to use social media to wake up the Sikh youth in India. This should be the next step that Khalistani organisations should be looking into. Sikh channel and Sangat Tv have been great at waking the Sikhs up in the West, but the Indian establishment will never allow them to directly broadcast into India.

• 4 weeks later...

Khalistan was inevitable, Bhutto gave up the names of all the leaders and they were targetted. Even the massacre of the entire generation of that time didn't do anything. Negotiations were going on,

when at bluestar 20-40 singhs killed 700+ (rajiv gandhi) how could India ever win?

"Shastar k adheen hai raaj" - Guru Gobind Singh Ji

That's my only commentary on how far this social media and stuff can go, I feel like the only problem is at this point the panth is letting India press it into further action instead of taking action in accordance with our religion's

Two and a half point strikes doctrine.

--

I'm still hesitant to discuss any sikh issues with relatives back home over the phone, etc. and keep low contact because I know they may be targeted. The war is still raging but is on espionage levels now, the disappearances of human rights activists, drug flooding, etc.

Remember that youtube, and facebook can easily be shut down massively.

Short wave radio, maybe bbm (since gov will use it), p2p email, etc are the only reliable form of communication. Pigeons as well.

I've heard India Gov. asked for bbm hack codes, but I know pin 2 pin messaging is still secure but bb10 might be better for it since if everything is going through BIS bbm india will give up info but bb10 can move this to wifi, using burner sims can also work since 2g data plans are less than 50 a month there which is a dollar.

Punjab still has better infrastrucure such as education than from where most of the CRPF recruits will be coming from and we must use this. A technologically equipped soldier even if it's just a cellphone will be a hard thing for them to track/counter.

America has curve's brand new from carriers for uner $70 and Idk anything else that has stronger security/messaging cap. for the price. Please some other people give other suggestions, because even though I've dealt with Ios/droid I've used mostly BB and am on Z10 now.

----

We need to do parchaar of what Sikhi is to youth though, in Canada it seems that even though many youth support Khalistan it's more of a I'm a gangster Punjabi, pride thing rather than an inherent knowledge of Khalistan and the issues. Better they do support, but I question how many of them will actually sacrifice or do anything meaningful besides stuffing the golak though. Then again, :) these things are not in my hands but Akal purakhs.

Agaya pai akal ki, tabhi chalaio panth|| :D

VJKVJF||

in my opinion social media can be immensely helpful for spreading authentic information to the masses nowadays as almost every one is associated to social media these days

but as knife van be used to cut vegetables for langar it can also be used to kill a person

what m trying to say is that this social media can be very conveniently used by govt. , rss, anti sikh heretics to spread their venom and distract the masses

as we all are very much aware that these anti-sikh forces have infiltrated almost evry sikh institution and are very organized and active in distorting ideals ,culture and youth through various websites and web blogs and forums

so,

we would have to come up with a new idea and an organized and well planned methodology to counter these threats in using social media

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

:)