Need Help To Get Up At Amritvela

Guest Daasan Das

Guest Daasan Das

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Sangat Ji,

I have been Amritdhari for around 9 yrs now and over the past few yrs i have alot trouble getting up in the mornings. Forget Amritvela, sometimes i even struggle to get up for work!!! I have no motivation at all to get up in the morning on time... What can i do?

I set my alarm to get up in the morning but just dont seem to get out of bed. I have tried putting it across the room so i have to get out of bed but i simply get up, turn it off, go to the toilet then go back to bed... And then wake up late...

Maybe a handful of times in a month i will get up on time but mostly im struggling. I have kids which maybe part of the reason as if they wake up in the night im more tired in the morning...

What can i do? Is there a Bani i can read which helps to be more motivated?

I dont want to keep speed reading my nitnem in the mornings as this problem of not waking up is not only making me do that but also stops me from being able to read more bani in the mornings too...

Thanks Ji

Daasan Das..

• 6 months later...

WJKK WJKF

The best thing to do is not think when the alarm goes off. Once you think about getting up your mind will do anything to convince you to go back to sleep. Don't let it control you. Make a habit of standing up right away without thinking anything when you hear it. Go straight to the bathroom and turn the shower on and take a shower/do kes ishnaan etc. When I do that, I personally don't feel tired even when I'm running on very little sleep.

I'm only 16 (not amrit dhari yet), so you're obviously much older than me and I don't know if it's easier or harder to wake up early as an adult. But either way, after you finish your path before you sleep, remind yourself that you have to wake up tomorrow and do nitnem to get the raas from reading baani and be ready for the day. It's all about controlling your mind and making it realize you don't need as much sleep as it craves. You can survive off 6 hours (probably even less) without a problem. Take naps when you can and keep doing ardas.

Good luck.

WJKK WJKF