Urgent: Going On Holiday To Canada, Toronto

MrPindoo21

URGENT

I'm a UK Sikh Brit who will be going on hoilday to Canada, Toronto. I may emmigrate there.

- I would appreciate meeting fellow canadian Sikhs or Brits that have emigrated to canada, whilst I am in Canada. Are there Canadian Sikhs that would like to meet whilst I am there ?

- Also are there any associations, or facebook groups that I can join, that will help me meet fellow sikhs in canada.

Please message me, with advice.

It's immigration strike, started since April, immigration officers and workers to walk out and quit working completely from canadian embassies in China, India etc in 15 countires, starting today, July 29th 2013. It was a rotating strike prior to this, but due to their disagreement on the demands, PAFSO warned CDN govt of the consequences, still both parties couldn't get at any negotiable deal last week and now all the process of CDN immigration, which include all kind of - spousal, visitor, student visas etc stopped completely.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/72303-update-pafso-canadian-immigration-strike/#entry588713

I knew one family who moved to Canada from the UK and hated it, they moved back within a few months.

I've heard that life in Canada is quite boring compared to the UK, it's more sparsely populated, things are further away, there are long drives involved. Also in Toronto you get extreme cold in the winter and very hot and humid summers.

Think long and hard before you commit to such a move.

I knew one family who moved to Canada from the UK and hated it, they moved back within a few months.

I've heard that life in Canada is quite boring compared to the UK, it's more sparsely populated, things are further away, there are long drives involved. Also in Toronto you get extreme cold in the winter and very hot and humid summers.

Actually, we have been experiencing mild winters and less snow in the last decade in Toronto. Sure we sometimes get a "snowstorm" in Toronto, but it isn't that cold unlike UK who have been experiencing record levels of cold/snow. But you're correct about summer in Toronto. It gets very hot in here.

I find UK (especially outside of London) very boring. I remember Russell Peters joked about how bored he got in UK that he tried to commit crime. lol

There's a sizeable British Sikh community in Brampton (North western part of Greater Toronto Area). OP shouldn't have trouble finding Sikhs, gurdwaras or British expats in Brampton.

This post is accurate, remember the old sayings,

1/ Not everything that glistens is gold.

2/ The grass is always greener on the other side until you get there.

I lived in canada for a while had pr, but found whilst it is a beautiful country, people are not so friendly, actually a bit abrupt/arrogant and also apne kids can be a bit childish and watch out for the bs it flies around alot :lol2:

I left and returned home to the uk because i felt my kids would grow up even futher away from their culture and roots than in the uk.

Most of cousins could not speak punjabi or very poorly, they hated roti and had very little respect for their elders, culture and religion, the only thing they were proud of was that they were canadians.

I have never regretted my decision to return home, the uk is best country as far as i am concerned and would not even go their for a visit, but i suppose you must find out for yourself and also i must admit my relations over there can hardly be called sikhs !!

Best of luck and i apologise if my comments have offended anyone, but i speak from my own experiences. :biggrin2:

It's not always like that. One of my very close family moved from UK to Canada, the kids grew up here, speak and understand punjabi and do rehras sahib everyday, even if somebody is visiting them. and now their daughter is getting married to an amritdhari guy and it's an arranged marriage without any pressure. Both are soft spoken, humble and religious. So it's all upto parents. Mother is the first teacher of her child.