Is It Ok To Overnight In(Unfamiliar) Gurdwaras? Read First.

Guest Singh

Guest Singh

Sat Siri Akaal Sangat ji,

So recently I had the Idea of travelling the world /my country . But due to my low budget ( I am still studying) I couldnt afford hotels/motels and all that stuff.

So I had the Idea to just overnight for 1 night in a unfamiliar Gurdwara would it be ok ? Would the Gurdwaras (Comitees) even .allow this? Would they welcome me? I am Sikh as well and I wont do any harm to the Gurdwara etc.. its just for overnight ( i dont even need pillows or stuff like that) I would Matha Tekh and everything as usual , And what if none Sikhs would accopany me? ( The non Sikhs are good people as well.. no strangers or smth . I know them for several years) .

I think in Gurus time it wouldnt be a problem, but now I am quite unsure because of the seperation of the Panth and the various Gurdwaras.. etc.. you all know what I mean.

And no I am no sponge or something like that it is just really to travel some placesI never visited..

Any replys are welcome!

WJKK WJKF

Why don't you call some Gurdwara's on your itinerary and enquire.

Mail them your ID's & previous travel record.

Tell them that you are willing to do Seva - Hoover, washing dishes, mop the kitchen+langar floors.

As they are always short on Sevadars.

Sometimes they are looking for handy men or volunteers (See Attachment)

post-10438-0-49541200-1404467031_thumb.j

Guest The Poor and Stupid

Its amazing to see how less, people among the Sikh community have traveled and how less they know about what the real world outside their comfort zone is like.

We once hosted budget traveller couple from Spain who were rejected to stay overnight at our local gurdwara sahib. They told me their India travel experience and how gurdwaras only place who welcomed them. Sadly not in balaiti gurughars.

I would rather rely on room share via airbnb.com rather than convincing egoistic managements.